Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

radio nova

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Broadcastonfm

endacl wrote: »
    Loved it when it started up. Don't see the point now. Handier to just burn a cd of the same 20 songs and stick it on shuffle.

Also wouldn't have to listen to Sharon Ni Whatserface, with her feckin' a-dees an' nine-dees...

Personally I've switched off . The song repetition is no longer funny . And I really don't care for the endless rubbish from Breakfast or Sinéad . And the musical knowledge of some of their presenters is shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Personally I've switched off . The song repetition is no longer funny . And I really don't care for the endless rubbish from Breakfast or Sinéad . And the musical knowledge of some of their presenters is shocking

Caught a few minutes of a show that I think was called 'Off the record'. Guy had decent knowledge/research, and it seemed to be about playing lesser known album tracks.

Don't listen often enough to look up when it's aired, though...

Still listening myself. There's not really much else out there on FM that I can stomach, particularly in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

For me, the best presenters on at the minute are Pat James and John Clarke - they have a real love for their music and know their onions!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

It's definitely not the worst station, but it's disappointing that there is so much repetition. There is so much more classic rock that could be played that isn't being played. It didn't last long in the office, unfortunately. There's sod all on the radio anyway that can be stuck with due to repetition and whatnot. But, I'd be more inclined to listen to Nova or the music shows on RTE1.

The only shows to escape the usual playlist stuff are the likes of Pat James's show, but especially The Sunday Jukebox with John Clarke. There's a man who knows and loves his music. And the likes of Sinead? Nope, I can't take to her either at all, I'm afraid. I don't mind Pat Courtenay. But, he is very much like Marmite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Caught a few minutes of a show that I think was called 'Off the record'. Guy had decent knowledge/research, and it seemed to be about playing lesser known album tracks.

Don't listen often enough to look up when it's aired, though...

Off the Record is on Sunday nights from 9pm to 1am. The presenter is Pat James and he certainly knows his stuff. He has his regular loyal listeners who are on the same wavelength (if you'll pardon the pun!). He was involved with a number of the smaller Dublin pirates from 1978 to 1988 and, invariably, presented "Rock Shows". Kevin Branigan gave Pat his big break in 2008 - 20 years later! - when he gave him a spot on his temporary-licensed rock station 949 The Rock. Pat must have passed the test because he was given a gig with Nova when it launched in 2010. Along the way, Zenith Classic Rock (south-east on-line station) availed of Pat's services for some of their temporary license runs.

It's hard to believe Off the Record is on the same station as most of the other shows! That said, it's difficult to keep the audience (and the advertisers) without playing the more accessible radio-friendly tracks. Two exceptions are: 1. John Clarke on Sundays, who seems to play whatever he feels like - some well-known tunes and some forgotten gems and 2. "The Rock Show" (!) with Tony Anscough on Friday nights, which has a harder edge and is much more album-driven.

I think there is room for more adventure and variety in the playlist - how about dropping in the odd lesser-known track by a known act, for example? I thought that was the point of the Nova Randomizer. I think Nova should drop the "inane chat" in the morning - there's enough doing it elsewhere and the novelty has definitely worn off!

The first announcement of the "Super6" is that Tim Kelly will present an 80's show on Friday nights. That's all well and good and I am very happy for Tim.

But where does that leave Jack Hyland, who used to present Friday Night 80s and 90s, before Alice Cooper came along in the exact same slot - 7pm to 10pm. Lately, I have heard Jack Hyland standing in for his fellow ex-Phantom presenter Sinead Ni Mhordha, when she was off. Is he involved in the background (real name Moss Breathnach), or have Nova got rid of him?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

PJ certainly does know his onions...which is typical of Brannigan's blindness that PJ is given only one show per week at a sh1te time..its very rare these days on irish radio to have a proper jock and not just a presenter with a zany accent or attitude...
    Nova could be the best station in the country if they wanted to be..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭peterobrien100

FanadMan wrote: »

The way it is going you'd be lucky to hear one of the top ten once a day. AC/DC used to be played regular (yes, I am a big fan) but now they seem to be relegated to the Friday Night Rock Show.....which is just more of the same stuff as during the day.

Half heard an ad today that they are taking Friday Night 80s from Today FM. Does this mean they are getting rid of Alice Cooper?

Alice moving to Saturday night at 9 from next week

Totally disagree with your comments regarding the Friday Night Rock Show playing the same stuff as during the day I love this show been a rocker myself last night for instance we were treated to

30 minute tribute to Queen all album tracks and live
    30 minute tribute to Mick Moody

New Tesla album featured

Throw in

Wishbone ash
    Dead Daisies
    Volbeat
    Vanderberg
    Scorpions
    Terraplane

And much more gimme than playlist please on day time radio anytime

its one of the weekend gems on the station along with JC and PJ

The first announcement of the "Super6" is that Tim Kelly will present an 80's show on Friday nights. That's all well and good and I am very happy for Tim.

But where does that leave Jack Hyland, who used to present Friday Night 80s and 90s, before Alice Cooper came along in the exact same slot - 7pm to 10pm. Lately, I have heard Jack Hyland standing in for his fellow ex-Phantom presenter Sinead Ni Mhordha, when she was off. Is he involved in the background (real name Moss Breathnach), or have Nova got rid of him?

Well??

• Advertisement

Had to double check the dial today...thought i was listening to TXFM...but no, it was Nova, banging on about EP and LCD Soundsystem Catfish etc.....classic rock..:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Had to double check the dial today...thought i was listening to TXFM...but no, it was Nova, banging on about EP and LCD Soundsystem Catfish etc.....classic rock..:confused:

You seem to think that Nova can only play oldies. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I think the music is becoming more diverse.

I wouldn't have bothered with a dad rock station but they're more appealing now.

As for EP chat..... I would like to see one media outlet ignore the new Oxegen.

Wish one station would also ignore the Premier League

• Registered Users Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭prunudo

Unfortunately they have to have their fingers in a lot of pies to keep the listener-ship figures up. So I'm not surprised they're jumping on the EP bandwagon.
    Have they every acknowledgeday or played The Strypes as a matter of interest?

You seem to think that Nova can only play oldies. Why?

Because when they started off (this stint) THATS what they were plugging and playing but since the news broke about TXFM it seems theyre playing much more up to date and alt/indie tracks...to suit the "hipsters" i assume..i dont mind it , it beats having to listen to AC/DC or the Beatles 10 times a day (or is that 8 days a week:p).....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

They played bastille the other day.

The start of the end for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Nature of the beast.

I'm sure we'd all love purist stations but as TXFM has proven, there isn't the market in Ireland. We simply don't have the numbers to support them.

Only a minority care unfortunately.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If stations were allowed operate without the two ridiculous BAI limits - Irish content and news/current affairs - they would have more playlist freedom and vastly lower costs. We might be able to support niche stations then.

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Nature of the beast.

I'm sure we'd all love purist stations but as TXFM has proven, there isn't the market in Ireland. We simply don't have the numbers to support them.

Only a minority care unfortunately.

I disagree....TXFM could easily have played a much more varied playlist, but they chose just to play the latest (week by week it seemed) tracks over and over, theres plenty more 80/90/00's stuff they should have being playing but they were told chose not to....maybe blame the station manager instead of the jocks...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

The reality is that commercial radio in Ireland is wholly married to narrow business models, ridiculous impositions from the BAI and wholly divorced from creativity and innovative output.

What made Zenith Classic Rock so appealing to me, was growing up in the radio-starved South East. Being in that unique spot I had the choice of: Radio for old men, a schizophrenic BBC-R1 knockoff, classic music, Gaelic, the jack-of-all-trades national commercial station, MTV-Lite, the ILR and their nearby clones in two adjacent counties. A whole lot of sod all choice right there.

When 4FM launched I thought, oh maybe this could be interesting, except it managed to skip the south-east entirely, almost as if a local station there didn't want any competition.

So finding Zenith on a temp license was a breath of fresh air, and it's a sorely missed opportunity on the BAI to have granted them a "special interest" license because they are a niche station and wouldn't have attracted the same level of advertising support, they would have been far closer to a community or hospital license in their operation.

I had higher hopes for Nova and at least unlike RadioRock, it's not geoblocked when I travel abroad, but it isn't the same sound that started six years ago even if it beats out the others in Dublin for me on my commutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

whats going on today? just seems like non stop 90s music no ads or Pat C.

edit: its just their website player playing non stop 90s

Tunein Radio has normal service

guile4582 wrote: »

..without PC...thank your god....:)

guile4582 wrote: »

They really need to sort out their website - it looks like it is being maintained by a 5 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

..without PC...thank your god....:)

I take Pat C over Marty and Dee's open radio relationship bs, hipsterism and constant baby talk

...ya see the thing is..they're a couple!!

oh you didn't know???

I heard Jack Hyland this evening. It's good to know he's still with Nova. I wonder has he some kind of arrangement with Nova that he will always stand in for Sinead Ni Mhordha or is there some kind of arrangement between the two presenters to take turns at presenting the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Infoanon

I disagree....TXFM could easily have played a much more varied playlist, but they chose just to play the latest (week by week it seemed) tracks over and over, theres plenty more 80/90/00's stuff they should have being playing but they were told chose not to....maybe blame the station manager instead of the jocks...;)

Playlists are tightly regulated by the contract a station enters into with the BAI

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Infoanon wrote: »
    Playlists are tightly regulated by the contract a station enters into with the BAI

Music policy rather than playlists. There is rather a lot of music to pick in the era and genre bands you agree.

It can still be all rather crap or unsuited, but variety is not an issue...

Did anyone notice 1 o'clock news on Nova today? I'm certain they played some from yesterday - woman cyclist died 'today', Dublin bus stopping at 9pm 'tomorrow'. Or did I go through a time warp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

FanadMan wrote: »
    Did anyone notice 1 o'clock news on Nova today? I'm certain they played some from yesterday - woman cyclist died 'today', Dublin bus stopping at 9pm 'tomorrow'. Or did I go through a time warp?

It's all prerecorded* anyway so possibly the wrong segment loaded into the playout.

*Unless of course John Harte can be in both the 4FM and Nova newsrooms reading totally different parts of the script at the same time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Sinead Ni Mhordha announced on air last night that her final show on Nova was this Thursday (Sept 15th) due to cutbacks at the station.....

Advertisement