Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

Genuine Brazilian black belt - I remember when such a mythical beast was as rare as a reverse centaur

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Is he Irish? Not that this matters in terms of his teaching abilities, I'm just curious as to how many Irish black belts there are these days. As cletus said, they were a rare beast for a long time. 10 years ago there were none. Everyone knows John was the first. I'm not even sure who was next. Chris Bowe and Daragh are the next two that spring to mind. I can't think of any others. Apologies if I'm missing anyone.
    (In my defence, I don't live in Ireland)

There are a number of them now, Feral Quinlan, Andy Ryan are two more. The guy who runs Husaria in Naas I think. I'm sure theres some down in Cork and up the North.

I assume he's Brazilian, the holiest of all holy grails

• Registered Users Posts: 27,772 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mellor wrote: »
    Is he Irish? Not that this matters in terms of his teaching abilities, I'm just curious as to how many Irish black belts there are these days. As cletus said, they were a rare beast for a long time. 10 years ago there were none. Everyone knows John was the first. I'm not even sure who was next. Chris Bowe and Daragh are the next two that spring to mind. I can't think of any others. Apologies if I'm missing anyone.
    (In my defence, I don't live in Ireland)

Andy Ryan, Barry Oglesby and Liam Beechnnior are all BJJ black belts aren't they.

I think there are 6/7 more as well who been prompted in the last few years.

cletus wrote: »
    There are a number of them now, Feral Quinlan, Andy Ryan are two more. The guy who runs Husaria in Naas I think. I'm sure theres some down in Cork and up the North.

I assume he's Brazilian, the holiest of all holy grails

Marizauz Domasat is the BB in Husaria. He a polish guy who trained under Montrero.

Others in Ireland I can think of Team Sapo head coach Cesar Silva Marcego in Ashbourne

Luis Fellipe Martins of De La Riva Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Phoebe Full Overlap

I'm just curious as to how many Irish black belts there are these days. As cletus said, they were a rare beast for a long time. 10 years ago there were none. Everyone knows John was the first. I'm not even sure who was next.

Andy Ryan. And Andy was already a high level black belt Judoka before this.

And never mind black belts, I remember when this forum celebrated blue belts lol.

Andy Ryan. And Andy was already a high level black belt Judoka before this.

And never mind black belts, I remember when this forum celebrated blue belts lol.
    Ah can't believe I forgot Andy Ryan. Must be all the shitposting he does on FB :D

I didn't realise the others, Fergal, Liam, and Barry, had made it. IIRC Barry was a purple but when he was posting here last.

And Phoebe Full Overlap, I think I've seen that thread. It gets bumped every so often.

Ah can't believe I forgot Andy Ryan. Must be all the shitposting he does on FB :D

I didn't realise the others, Fergal, Liam, and Barry, had made it. IIRC Barry was a purple but when he was posting here last.

And Makikomi, I think I've seen that thread. It gets bumped every so often.

There's a few black belts in Andy's.. Karl Roche plus Liam and Stephen O'Toole (brothers).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Just randomly found this thread.

I've been training very sporadically in MMA for years, only in December started training regularly in BJJ. Love it, but currently injured. Pulled a quadratus lumborum a few weeks ago during a drill. Never even knew I had such a thing until I wrecked it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

so anyone want to share some tips they feel will aid me as a newbie in bjj.. do`s and dont`s..

so anyone want to share some tips they feel will aid me as a newbie in bjj.. do`s and dont`s..

Don't be the hard man that won't tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Don't be the hard man that won't tap.

I have no problem tapping.. not tapping leads to injury,, injury leads to time away from training.. def dont want that as i want to have a consistent flow..

1. No shoes on the mats
    2. Leave ego at the door

That is all

1. No shoes on the mats
    2. Leave ego at the door

That is all

Keep your nails trimmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

If you say "lets roll light", roll fecking light. Don't be the guy who muscles through/out of everything and feel like they have to "win" every round.
    If you're rolling with someone a lot worse or a lot smaller than you or just a lot weaker than you, don't be a dick, let them learn, don't just smash them into the mats.

I have no problem tapping.. not tapping leads to injury,, injury leads to time away from training.. def dont want that as i want to have a consistent flow..

How ever often you think you are tapping, tap sooner. Fighting the sub is pointless at this stage, the mistake was made 3 or 4 moves ago.

Go light, if you think you currently for light, go about 60% of that intensity. To Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
    I've rolled with lots of new people this year, they all gone a range of different intensities, some where going way too hard, others only marginally so. None of them were going too light, none were going just the right intensity either.

I'm sure everyone knows to wash their gi regularly. But please remember to include your belt from time to time. It's easily overlooked but it pretty nasty when you think of what is could be carrying.

How ever often you think you are tapping, tap sooner. Fighting the sub is pointless at this stage, the mistake was made 3 or 4 moves ago.

I would counter this slightly by saying that always tapping way early for a sub (i.e. before its on) can be frusterating for your partner, particularly if they are looking for a specific sub when rolling, as thry wont get the oppertunity to practice really locking it down

I would counter this slightly by saying that always tapping way early for a sub (i.e. before its on) can be frusterating for your partner, particularly if they are looking for a specific sub when rolling, as thry wont get the oppertunity to practice really locking it down
    Yeah that's true. I only intended it to apply to complete beginners. After a while, it's fine to start resisting as you grow more comfortable.

Probably shouldn't try out new submissions on the first day guy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

We had a black belt living in Cork a few years back from the Canary Islands in Spain, as far as I knew then him and John Kavanagh were the only ones in the country at the time. (Our lad got his off De La Riva.) I was Thai Boxing in Cork and Liam Beecher was coaching BJJ upstairs and he had a brown, that was around five or so years ago so surely he has a blackbelt now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Off the top of my head here are the black belts I can think of:
    John Kavanagh
    Andy Ryan
    Liam Beechinor
    Fergal Quinlan
    Darragh O'Conaill
    Mariusz Domasat
    Barry Oglesby
    Owen Roddy
    Tom King
    Karl Roche
    Jorge Santos
    Steven O’ Toole
    Howard Mannion
    Kieran O'Brien
    Mick Aldridge

RoboRat wrote: »
    John Kavanagh
    Andy Ryan
    Liam Beechinor
    Fergal Quinlan
    Darragh O'Conaill
    Mariusz Domasat
    Barry Oglesby
    Owen Roddy
    Tom King
    Karl Roche
    Jorge Santos
    Steven O’ Toole
    Howard Mannion
    Kieran O'Brien
    Mick Aldridge

Add Liam O'Toole to that. Liam is Steven's brother, both brothers and Karl Roche were promoted to black belt in April 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Can't forget Chris Bowe, head coach in Gracie Barra Dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Gilbert Grape

RoboRat wrote: »
    John Kavanagh
    Andy Ryan
    Liam Beechinor
    Fergal Quinlan
    Darragh O'Conaill
    Mariusz Domasat
    Barry Oglesby
    Owen Roddy
    Tom King
    Karl Roche
    Jorge Santos
    Steven O’ Toole
    Howard Mannion
    Kieran O'Brien
    Mick Aldridge

Martin Mclaughlin Team Torres Derry is another

CianRyan wrote: »
    Can't forget Chris Bowe, head coach in Gracie Barra Dundrum.

I mentioned him in the first post. Trained in Dundrum on year when I as at home.

That's a comprehensive list Roborat. I guess thats the disillusion of making the irish dirty douzen out the window :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Typical of me really, only reading the last page and always looking for the finish before the set up. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Graham Keys from Gracie Barra Belfast was one of the first few Irish black belts.

First and foremost listen to your coaches.

After that it's really just personal admin ~ Show up for training on time and don't try escape the warm up.. Pay your mat fee's on time.. Show up clean!! ~ washed and iron Gi (for nogi washed and fresh shorts & rash guard). Trim your nails, this is so important. Nails cut and cause infections so keep them short.

There is hardly anything as bad as rolling with someone who has bad personal hygiene ~ or a chatterbox, we've all met them ~ you're about to gain an advantage or submit them and they'll stop you to tell YOU were you're going wrong or how you can do it better, these people are a pain in the arse.

or a chatterbox, we've all met them ~ you're about to gain an advantage or submit them and they'll stop you to tell YOU were you're going wrong or how you can do it better, these people are a pain in the arse.
    What I hate is when you achieve a really dominant position, they stop resisting and coach you to the sub.
    It's like they convince themselves that you only got it because they let you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Out of curiosity, how many gis do ye have? For instance if you're trading four or five times a week are ye constantly washing and drying gis?

Advertisement