Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kickstarter from Ireland: Mileata military watches

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Nice if chunky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

He obviously likes the Tudor Pelagos.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'd rather drop the cash on the Precista royal navy diver repro TBH.

As another poster has says its very much a Pelagos homage.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Looks nice, im backing a kickstarter watch right now and ill never be doing it again:)
    Better just buying something thats available and exists at the point of purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Whilst the watch is nice, as funkyouup said, you might as well use the €500 to buy something already on the market.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Its terribly generic, why would you bother taking the risk. Go on the stienhart website today and spend 350 on an ocean one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭scwazrh

€500 is too much for that watch if it was on sale and available today and is a silly price for it at Kickstarter stage

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

scwazrh wrote: »
    €500 is too much for that watch...

well...the specs aren't all that bad, I'd say 450 - 500 is lower end of the scale here in comparison to other watches that offer the same
    as a 500-meter water rating, Swiss movement, anti-magnetic protection for the movement, a thick sapphire crystal with a double dome and anti-reflective coating. We have also added a metal bracelet to it, so you receive both the bracelet and NATO strap

but it is a bit boring looking and then there's the whole kickstarter risk and all...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭893bet

I’d need an in-dept YouTube review of a static image to make up my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

893bet wrote: »
    I’d need an in-dept YouTube review of a static image to make up my mind.

Its the only way to know a watch....listen to somebody who has never held it talk about it for circa 15 minutes. I think we can only dream of a youtube channel with such content, maybe one day.

Does anybody else not see the laughability of a 500m mechanical watch. Do you realise how deep that is. A mechanical watch has no place that deep, few humans have been there, yet alone are they waiting for a kickstarter to fulfil their time keeping needs at that depth.

• Advertisement

Does anybody else not see the laughability of a 500m mechanical watch. Do you realise how deep that is. A mechanical watch has no place that deep, few humans have been there, yet alone are they waiting for a kickstarter to fulfil their time keeping needs at that depth.

So you are saying my 2000mtr rated watch is overkill?
    ;)
    Dammit!

In all seriousness, you are right.
    Recreational divers are usually limited to 40mtrs(I've been deeper but not often) and even commercial divers don't often go beyond 200mtrs.
    The depth rating does give a lot of leeway at even normal working depths tho, as last thing you want is movement induced pressure popping a weak gasket at depth and nixing any dive watch.

For what this Kickstarter is however...
    I'd pass hard!
    Charging retail prices for a KS watch?!
    As I mentioned in an earlier post, if I was leaning towards a diver at that price/type.
    I'd be throwing my cash at a Precista Royal Navy repro.
    A 2824-2 with a little bit of military issue history behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

well...their regular storefront watches are a good bit dearer, if that makes you all happier :D

https://saswatchco.com/product-category/collection/

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

They really are so incredibly dull and generic. No spark to any of them at all.

peasant wrote: »
    well...their regular storefront watches are a good bit dearer, if that makes you all happier :D

https://saswatchco.com/product-category/collection/

They are and to be fair for what they offer on their storefront I wouldn't call them expensive.

Bland, fairly generic and honestly derivative and uninteresting are all words that spring to mind before expensive ;)

They are doing a lot of homage styles that others IMO at least do better, do cheaper and with more appeal.

Kickstarter a to my mind at least.
    Represent an opportunity to get a deep discount on the introduction of a new product.
    Its a chance for a producer to get some cash in, and to grow word of mouth via (esp when it comes to watches) interested people who will tell other interested people and grow a little bit of momentum around the product.

That's not what this particular KS is doing IMO.
    Its just an advance sale of a bog standard diver, that similar or better can be obtained elsewhere cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Great to see an irish watch. But no sorry not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

2shea wrote: »
    Great to see an irish watch. But no sorry not for me.

Yeah, I hate to be negative, it's a nice watch (personally not for me, but I still think it's nice) as they are being proactive. But you could never recommend anyone to put money into it.

Advertisement