Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Titanium watches

• 05-08-2019 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Anyone here own a titanium piece? How do you find it as a material for a daily watch? I know it will show scratches a lot easier they stainless steel unless it's it hardened with some kind of treatment.

The Citizen I'm looking at is Base Titanium so no treatment or hardening.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,734 ✭✭✭893bet

Too light. Especially if you wear on nato or rubber.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Is light not good? I don't think I would mind that. Is it you just don't like the feel of a light watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I've had a titanium Citizen for the past 11 years. The lightness is a benefit and mine has escaped scratches on the bracelet, though the bezel has picked up a few dents from everyday usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭Darwin

I've had several titanium watches over the years - Tissot T-Touch Expert which did scratch a bit on the bracelet, but I was able to remove them with an ink rubber. I also had a Casio MRG which was a hefty piece but weighed next to nothing - it did have titanium-carbide processing to add scratch resistance. My current titanium watch is a Tissot T-Touch expert solar (ti case, rubber strap), no problem with scratches so far and extremely comfortable on the wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

I have a Breitling Aerospace for a LONG time now and it's lovely. Wore it every day for 15+ yrs ('til I found this place!!!) and started a small collection.

The watch hasn't scratched much at all - although it wouldn't have had too much hardship either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,459 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Have a citizen titanium diver that I've had for 15yrs, bezel has developed a nice patina but the watch itself is still rock solid.
    Crystal could use a buff tho ;)
    There is a cleaning stick, kind of like an ink eraser that does a good job of refinishing scratches on Ti watches too.

I love titanium watches. I have a Grand Seiko and a vintage GShock made from it and both are great. I find you do need to get the fit of the bracelet dialled in or they feel like they're going to fall off. No issue with durability.

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    I find you do need to get the fit of the bracelet dialled in or they feel like they're going to fall off. No issue with durability.

A micro adjustable claps can make a huge difference, but yep you are right on a bracelet the sizing is vital.
    Other thing to remember is that NATO or Deployants can make a very light watch feel almost weightless.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

banie01 wrote: »
    ecoli3136 wrote: »
    I find you do need to get the fit of the bracelet dialled in or they feel like they're going to fall off. No issue with durability.

A micro adjustable claps can make a huge difference, but yep you are right on a bracelet the sizing is vital.
    Other thing to remember is that NATO or Deployants can make a very light watch feel almost weightless.
    The watch has an adjustable divers extension that can be sized in seconds. It's like a ratchet on the clasp.

https://www.watchshop.com/citizen-watch-bn0118-55e-p100027031.html

2shea wrote: »
    The watch has an adjustable divers extension that can be sized in seconds. It's like a ratchet on the clasp.

https://www.watchshop.com/citizen-watch-bn0118-55e-p100027031.html

I have a very similar strap and clasp on my own citizen.
    The adjustment is great and very secure.

The real purpose of that adjustment is to allow a wetsuit under the strap, but once you get the bracelet dialled in, it helps me to cope with those days when I just feel bloated :P :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭Homer

My breitling emergency is titanium and hasn’t picked up and visible marks over the past 5 years I’ve had it. Paired with a rubber strap it’s a lovely light summer wear.

banie01 wrote: »

Unfortunately Grand Seiko don't generally do micro adjustable clasp. It's the old half link solution.

In fairness, this is what Omega were doing on all watches until very recently (and still do on many most) and the sizing on my aquaterra and planet ocean (both 2500 models) is perfect. Similarly I'm very happy with both my Grand Seikos in this regard.

As an aside, Seiko HQ in Ireland ('Timemark') will happily post you out an extra half link for free for any current grand seiko model. You get one half link with the watch and with two you have more flexibility to get the fit you are looking for (because two half-links is actually just a touch larger than one full link).

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I have a Titanium Momentum watch that I've worn pretty regularly for the past few months with no issues. I had it on a leather strap until last night and now its on a nato.

I usually go for heavy watches (seiko monster, grupo gamma vanguard) so this is a big change for me but while its very light it doesn't feel cheap

Advertisement