Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

BadSanta wrote: »
    5 to 9 weeks. sorry that's start from booking. so minus those days you did from booking to contract signing.

Ok, gotcha.
    6 weeks sale agreed on property we're selling. 5 weeks sale agreed on property we're buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Time it your last in the chain to fully commit make sure your solicitor knows that. Read and article today 1 in 4 sales are falling through after sale agreed. The closer we get to Brexit I think people are getting jittery with the talk of job losses and recession. You can be full sure the media will keep ramping it up especially since it's silly season and Leo is off working on his tan.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I was going to ask, is anyone holding off buying because of Brexit? By the end of the year I'll have a 30k deposit saved, but being a single applicant that puts places I can afford out in the middle of nowhere on my income. People keep saying prices are going to fall, so I'm thinking keep saving a higher deposit and wait it out? It's just a guessing game at the minute that I hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Do you need a house now, as in are you still relatively young can you hold off a few years and enjoy your freedom until someone locks you down. Then the 2 of you can afford a place in a better location. Buying in the middle of nowhere and if there is a downturn and life changes and you need to sell you could get stuck.
    I'm not sure there's going to be a recession but still you'd like to see how the world is looking after October.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I was going to ask, is anyone holding off buying because of Brexit? By the end of the year I'll have a 30k deposit saved, but being a single applicant that puts places I can afford out in the middle of nowhere on my income. People keep saying prices are going to fall, so I'm thinking keep saving a higher deposit and wait it out? It's just a guessing game at the minute that I hate.

We have decided to hold off, but we are interested in a particular development so it depends on what happens with their next big release in September. They sold out in no time in March, but they had a limited release of six housea few weeks ago and they still have five for sale, so they may need to reduce the price.

An estate agents tod me that prices will go down more by the end of the year, maybe even by 10%. But you can only take that with a pinch of salt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

We're sale agreed on a new build in a perfect location for us. But everybody we've talked to about the development (without them knowing we are thinking of buying there) has said they think they are overpriced.

We are concerned there will be a big drop in prices, but we also know that the location cannot be beaten and it will be our forever home (all going well).

So our choice is either buy now, or wait a few years and see... Since we're in the position to buy now at this price, we most likely will. I don't want to pay high rent for another 2/3 years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

Butterface wrote: »
    We're sale agreed on a new build in a perfect location for us. But everybody we've talked to about the development (without them knowing we are thinking of buying there) has said they think they are overpriced.

We are concerned there will be a big drop in prices, but we also know that the location cannot be beaten and it will be our forever home (all going well).

So our choice is either buy now, or wait a few years and see... Since we're in the position to buy now at this price, we most likely will. I don't want to pay high rent for another 2/3 years!!

If it's your forever home a drop in prices doesn't matter that much. Negative equity is only a big issue if you're looking to sell. It's unlikely that any price drops are going to be that much anyway, certainly no where near like before - maybe 10%

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

OEP wrote: »
    If it's your forever home a drop in prices doesn't matter that much. Negative equity is only a big issue if you're looking to sell. It's unlikely that any price drops are going to be that much anyway, certainly no where near like before - maybe 10%

Yeah, obviously we can never know what happens in the future, but we have always said we're not going to buy a house we don't consider to be a long-term home. The location of the development is too good to pass up. I guess if the prices drop it will sting, but we won't be planning to sell any time in the near future so shouldn't matter too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

If it’s a new build be careful waiting for a drop especially considering the uncertainty of the Help-To-Buy scheme end date. New builds in my area have all generated queues 3-5 fold the amount of houses per phase and each property gone up roughly 30-40k per phase. The estate agent will just go to next in line and you’ll be kicking yourself.

In the grand scheme of things if the house is something you definitely want a 10% drop is minuscule in terms of 15-20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Another point to note is if you're waiting 2-3 years for a good price drop, how much rent have you paid while you're waiting? For a lot of people in Dublin, that can be about €30-60k per couple... it seems like a gamble on house prices dropping by that much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

Another point to note is if you're waiting 2-3 years for a good price drop, how much rent have you paid while you're waiting? For a lot of people in Dublin, that can be about €30-60k per couple... it seems like a gamble on house prices dropping by that much.

Agreed. Also the cost to build in Ireland is not going to change much (will remain high) in any short-medium period of time. Already builders are slowing housing completions in Dublin as stock isn't clearing as fast. They will not make the same mistake of over-building & there being a glut of new homes. It looks like there will only be 22k new houses (or thereabouts) this year. Control supply, control prices.

I must say though that some new build prices in Dublin are cheekily high. In some areas they are way out if line with older properties. Yes refurb costs are high & yes Help-to-buy is nice but still I think there are some overpriced new homes. Nothing that would move the dial on general house price growth/decline, just regional blips imo. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Far more relaxed now that the little things are all done or ready to roll as soon as we have a date. It's reassuring to see all of the tasks accomplished on the AIB app. It hasn't been 4 weeks yet, would love the contracts to issue before August purely because we feel nothing will be done that month with the high chance of annual leave but it's not a disaster if it doesn't and at least we know nothing on the bank or insurance side can hold us up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Misssally

Does Anyone know the average time for the loan pack to issue? Had underwritten AIP & went sale agreed almost 5 weeks ago. House valued by bank a week later & still no loan offer. They keep saying it’ll be issued in the coming days but as of Friday it still hadn’t. They’re not waiting on anything from me. Is this normal? I’m starting to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Misssally wrote: »
    Does Anyone know the average time for the loan pack to issue? Had underwritten AIP & went sale agreed almost 5 weeks ago. House valued by bank a week later & still no loan offer. They keep saying it’ll be issued in the coming days but as of Friday it still hadn’t. They’re not waiting on anything from me. Is this normal? I’m starting to worry.

Which bank is is? I was Ulster Bank and took about three weeks. However it is holiday time so I expect banks to have delay due to staff going on holidays so may be nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Depends on the bank. AIB have a standard set of 5 working days, must apply only when there is no outstanding paperwork etc. It took 2 days post sale information being sent for them to move it to underwriters and then 5 to issue the letter. Whatever bank that is, would definitely keep on to them. They might be struggling a bit with timelines with annual leave I suppose.

Misssally wrote: »

We are with PTSB and got ours within about 4 weeks I think.
    That was last month. There could be slight delays now with staff being on annual leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Uncle_Joe

I’m about to close this week and I’ve just had an email telling me the bank has requested another drive-by valuation.

Is this normal? Especially when the deal so close to closing?

The last one was done in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Uncle_Joe wrote: »
    I’m about to close this week and I’ve just had an email telling me the bank has requested another drive-by valuation.

Is it a new build?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Does anyone know if any banks are currently providing exemptions? I do not need a particularly large one, but I would like to avoid asking my parents for the gifting of the small amount to get me across the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Uncle_Joe wrote: »

As another poster said if it’s a new build, a final valuation is needed. Just to note Valuations are only valid for 4 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Misssally

We are with PTSB and got ours within about 4 weeks I think.
    That was last month. There could be slight delays now with staff being on annual leave.

Yeah it’s ptsb. Good to know it’s not too unusual for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

VonLuck wrote: »
    Does anyone know if any banks are currently providing exemptions? I do not need a particularly large one, but I would like to avoid asking my parents for the gifting of the small amount to get me across the line.

It usually depends on the bank, but I know when I first applied in August last year, there were none left to be had - we waited until January to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

It usually depends on the bank, but I know when I first applied in August last year, there were none left to be had - we waited until January to get one.

Apparently not all banks used all their exemptions last year, read it either in this thread or the Property Market thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Back onto this thread again, about 18 months after getting the keys to my last property I want to sell up and buy a larger one with herself.
    Booked appointment with PTSB next week, memories of how arduous the process was last time are still fresh in my mind!

Luckily my property has appreciated in the last 18 months and I put down a 20% deposit initially, so I have a fair bit of equity to move, coupled with joint savings near 20k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Quick query, would going through a broker in any way harm your chances? Why wouldn't everyone do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Quick query, would going through a broker in any way harm your chances? Why wouldn't everyone do so?
    Wouldnt harm your chances but theres no need to add a middleman if one is not needed

Some cases which the bank may not approve directly apparently get through via brokers - which as far as I can see, is the only reason to go with one.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Going with a broker is only good if your situation is complicated. If you've a clean financial record there's no difference doing it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

ELM327 wrote: »
    Wouldnt harm your chances but theres no need to add a middleman if one is not needed

Some cases which the bank may not approve directly apparently get through via brokers - which as far as I can see, is the only reason to go with one.

Well that's a pretty big reason in itself. The other reasons are that it consolidates all your applications into one, you'll get good advice on the different products on the market, it speeds up any communications with the bank as the broker will have a direct line to someone, we also got to borrow more through the broker without need an exemption as they got the bank at account for variable income. I highly recommend using a broker, as someone who tried doing it myself initially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

VonLuck wrote: »

Best bet is to ask them all. PTSB told us recently that they do offer exemptions, but only if salaries combined are over 80k.

• Advertisement

Kh1993 wrote: »
    Best bet is to ask them all. PTSB told us recently that they do offer exemptions, but only if salaries combined are over 80k.

They told us no exemptions at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement