Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

READ SUMMARY IN POST 986 - Amazon.uk Post-Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

listermint wrote: »
    I hear this nonsense all the time. Ireland is a lucrative market . The end.

Not in the grand scheme of things within the turnover of Amazon.co.uk. 'The end' doesn't make a statement true.

As an aside... From Amazon today
    As you have placed an order on Amazon.co.uk and selected an EU delivery address in the past, we wanted to let you know that from 1 January 2021, when the Brexit transition period ends, you’ll see some changes when you shop on Amazon.co.uk and select an EU delivery address. These changes could include:

- VAT (or the regional equivalent, if applicable, https://www.amazon.co.uk/vatrates) being due in the country of delivery, or your package may be subject to customs duties, taxes and fees (“Import Fees”)
    - the collection of VAT, or an estimation of Import Fees (“Import Fee Deposit” https://www.amazon.co.uk/ifd), which may result in a price change at checkout.

We will continue to accept eligible returns. If the reason for return is the result of an error (e.g. if the item is defective / damaged / incorrect), any costs incurred for the return will be paid by Amazon. Otherwise, any costs incurred for the return (including transport costs, as well as any associated import fees or customs where applicable) will be payable by the person returning the goods https://www.amazon.co.uk/returnshelp.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Not in the grand scheme of things within the turnover of Amazon.co.uk. 'The end' doesn't make a statement true.

As an aside... From Amazon today

Horse****.

Do you know the value of Irish business in the context of Amazon UK ?

I'd imagine you might find there's similar results as Tesco.

It's a more important market than vast swathes of the UK. Due solely to wages and disposable income.

listermint wrote: »
    Horse****.

Do you know the value of Irish business in the context of Amazon UK ?

I'd imagine you might find there's similar results as Tesco.

It's a more important market than vast swathes of the UK. Due solely to wages and disposable income.

You know, you can have your opinion without being abusive about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    You know, you can have your opinion without being abusive about it.

I can buy I'm waiting on figures to back up your original claim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

kathleen37 wrote: »
    Actually, just wondering - I use subscribe and save for mainly cat food.

How do I know where it comes from if it says its "dispatched form and sold by Amazon"?

Thanks

*edit*

Right - I think I'm stuffed - just seem this on the delivery due this week

"Tuesday, 8 December
    8:02 AM
    Package arrived at an Amazon facility
    Saint Helens, Merseyside GB
    Package has shipped
    Ridgmont, Bedfordshire UK"

I do too. A few of my deliveries came from France and Italy during the pandemic. I'm really hoping they find a way to supply Irish subscribe and save customers from the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

If Ireland was such a lucrative market for Amazon like some say , surely they would have set up a .ie website and would have set warehouses in Ireland ?
    The lack of an Irish site seems to me that Amazon aren’t to worried about us

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Smiley012

My understanding is that they are setting or have set up a warehouse in Ireland . I am curious to understand how import/customs fees and taxes are going to be dealt with from an Amazon point of view.

If they're shipping things to Irish based warehouses, we're using .co.uk to purchase, and then we're getting the items sent to us from an Irish based warehouse, do we have to pay the customs if the item originated in UK?

I'm probably not understanding how this works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

They've already setup a .nl which is not a huge market but bigger than Ireland granted. If there is money to be made I'm sure they will eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Smiley012 wrote: »
    My understanding is that they are setting or have set up a warehouse in Ireland . I am curious to understand how import/customs fees and taxes are going to be dealt with from an Amazon point of view.

If they're shipping things to Irish based warehouses, we're using .co.uk to purchase, and then we're getting the items sent to us from an Irish based warehouse, do we have to pay the customs if the item originated in UK?

I'm probably not understanding how this works.

I can imagine charges are going to be added to order on checkout same as delivery from Amazon US or an post will collect the fees.
    This I am hoping will be only for a matter of months till they set up proper depots in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Almost 9 million people in wealthy Switzerland and there's no .ch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭harmless

That warehouse in Ireland created 20 jobs, compare that to the ones in UK the size of football stadiums. It's not just about how many people
    but also the section of goods they can hold.
    How long until they would be up to capacity to fulfill the whole country?

I'd say the best the can do from .co.uk is to check if the item is in stock somewhere in the EU and ship direct to the Irish Warehouse/s when they increase capacity here.
    There's nothing they can do about items that are only stored in the UK or that have to pass through it, the customer will have to pay any customs charges in these cases. Expect it to have the biggest impact on 3rd party sellers.

Over £20billion in sales through the UK site last year and the only figure I can see for Ireland is an estimated £60 to 80 million in 2018.

The email today doesn't suggest any plans for major changes in Ireland other that VAT and customs charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

This Amazon email has to rank as one of the most uninformative emails ever sent out to several million people.
    Since I have used delivery addresses in ROI and NI, should I expect another equally opaque email re NI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Might effect sales if its becomes on a par with B&M stores. But that would happen slowly.

They've already setup a .nl which is not a huge market but bigger than Ireland granted. If there is money to be made I'm sure they will eventually.

Three times our population there and can utilise fulfilment centres and warehouses throughout the EU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

harr wrote: »
    If Ireland was such a lucrative market for Amazon like some say , surely they would have set up a .ie website and would have set warehouses in Ireland ?
    The lack of an Irish site seems to me that Amazon aren’t to worried about us

They need to create a .ie front door for browsing and purchasing so Irish buyers have an interface which is familiar. Obviously the actual "fulfilled by amazon" orders will be sent from a central complex in Germany etc.

The wider marketplace could still work directly from seller to buyer surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I'm more-so thinking of lack of free shipping, which is one of the main reasons I have my Prime sub. Or would we still get free shipping, but then have to pay tax/import on top anyway? I don't think Prime subs in any other EU storefront gives you free shipping. And I like how my Prime sub with the UK covers my Prime Video subscription too.

Also, one of the things I buy most on Amazon UK are blu-rays. Buying them from mainland Europe is a bit hit and miss. Most have an English track sure, but you run the risk of subtitles being burned in and of course the covers etc are not going to be in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ddubs

I would expect that the vast majority or products we all purchase from the amazon.co.uk aren’t of a UK origin or manufacturer.

You would have to expect price increases across the board for our friends across the water on importing these goods in the first place before even further taxes and charges are levied for us to reexport to IRL.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Shipped from a DE warehouse I think. Plus NL has 17 million people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Apogee

Does anyone have experience of a German-based forwarding service (e.g. like ParcelMotel)?

I've found several items in the past which wouldn't ship from amazon.de to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

Apogee wrote: »
    Does anyone have experience of a German-based forwarding service (e.g. like ParcelMotel)?

I've found several items in the past which wouldn't ship from amazon.de to Ireland.

I've used Mailboxde twice. I found them excellent. They're not cheap in comparison with Parcel Motel though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭paddy19

Mailboxde is not cheap is right, Min seems to be about €10.26.... for a small box 20x5x15 0.5kg

I'm more-so thinking of lack of free shipping, which is one of the main reasons I have my Prime sub. Or would we still get free shipping, but then have to pay tax/import on top anyway? I don't think Prime subs in any other EU storefront gives you free shipping. And I like how my Prime sub with the UK covers my Prime Video subscription too.

Also, one of the things I buy most on Amazon UK are blu-rays. Buying them from mainland Europe is a bit hit and miss. Most have an English track sure, but you run the risk of subtitles being burned in and of course the covers etc are not going to be in English.

Does Prime give free shipping to Ireland? I didnt realise that.

I dont use prime but i get the standard free shipping on any order over £20 (or £25, cant recall).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Does Prime give free shipping to Ireland? I didnt realise that.

I dont use prime but i get the standard free shipping on any order over £20 (or £25, cant recall).

Yes free shipping to Ireland.
    Best thing I did this year was getting Amazon prime for Christmas shopping. I must be up 200 quid at least on saved shipping fees in the last 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭torrevieja

C3PO wrote: »
    I’d be surprised if Amazon don’t set up an Amazon.ie

Dont know why they Dont,

I use Amazon.co.uk and have used Parcel Motel as My Home Address, Would it be better to join one of the European Amazon Sites Now, Will i loose any priviliges With Amazon Prime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

We're probably going to have to get used to filling our Einkufswagon

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Apogee wrote: »

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111402289

My experience with Mailbox.de has been positive and thought the shipping was reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Would be a bit crap alright if we lose Prime benefits cos of this. It'd make me less likely to buy from amazon without the fast and free delivery I get through that. Grand for something bigger maybe, but buying books or films would definitely be more of a chore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Just got an email that anything I buy from Amazon will have customs and vat.

• Advertisement

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Just got an email that anything I buy from Amazon will have customs and vat.

As quoted earlier, it says "May be". Depends on the item and the value.

Advertisement