Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2021 Irish Gigs (Confirmed & Rumoured Events)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

PTH2009 wrote: »

Belfast has been included, just no Dublin.

Any chance this is (another) tour skipping Dublin as a venue which leads to staging constraints?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Any chance this is (another) tour skipping Dublin as a venue which leads to staging constraints?

Highly possible yes.
    The After Hours Tour will showcase state of the art production and one of the most innovative stage designs to date, containing the most LED lights and video for an arena show.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,713 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Zardoz wrote: »
    Highly possible yes.

Such a pity the 3Arena could be missing out on shows for that reason

U2 configured simply because they were home town shows, Muse i think configured for the 3Arena on one of there tours . Suppose if you like an artist/band so much you would travel to see the show

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Penfailed

U2 configured simply because they were home town shows, Muse i think configured for the 3Arena on one of there tours . Suppose if you like an artist/band so much you would travel to see the show

They are playing Belfast. It's only up the road.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Highly possible yes.

It must be a big contributory factor as to why it misses some shows or else has their stage curtailed completely - Katy Perry a few years ago comes to mind where she opened the tour in Belfast and performed virtually every arena in the UK, but never came to Dublin.

It's a pity that its design does restrain the 3Arena for big productions, because the SSE Hydro in Glasgow has the same 'fan-shaped' design but has more floor space for staging etc.

You'd think the 3Arena would've been designed similarly, especially with Dublin having a larger population than Glasgow, and with it being the main concert venue in the whole of the Republic.

• Advertisement

It must be a big contributory factor as to why it misses some shows or else has their stage curtailed completely - Katy Perry a few years ago comes to mind where she opened the tour in Belfast and performed virtually every arena in the UK, but never came to Dublin.

It's a pity that its design does restrain the 3Arena for big productions, because the SSE Hydro in Glasgow has the same 'fan-shaped' design but has more floor space for staging etc.

You'd think the 3Arena would've been designed similarly, especially with Dublin having a larger population than Glasgow, and with it being the main concert venue in the whole of the Republic.

https://web.archive.org/web/20081208062319/http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/day-and-night/features/the-o2-welcome-to-the-future-1564580.html

It's a little odd that at the time the o2 (3Arena) was designed in a way that would attract the best top quality shows to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

https://web.archive.org/web/20081208062319/http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/day-and-night/features/the-o2-welcome-to-the-future-1564580.html

It's a little odd that at the time the o2 (3Arena) was designed in a way that would attract the best top quality shows to Dublin

According to Live Nation.

We were had. Its a dreadful arena. Already obsolete. Most of the big acts can't fit their indoor show in there and those who try have to severely modify it (U2, Roger Waters etc) and the sound is shocking. And it looks like Woodies in Tallaght.

The Nal wrote: »
    According to Live Nation.

We were had. Its a dreadful arena. Already obsolete. Most of the big acts can't fit their indoor show in there and those who try have to severely modify it (U2, Roger Waters etc) and the sound is shocking. And it looks like Woodies in Tallaght.

Nonsense.

Its an excellent venue .
    It was specifically designed for concerts unlike most arenas.
    The worst seats in the house are 60m from the stage as opposed to 100m in a normal arena.

Its been the busiest venue worldwide with a capacity of 10-15k over the last 10 years.
    It was the 10th busiest venue in the world in 2019 and the 5th busiest in Europe.

Sure a few acts cant fit the full staging in there but I'd gladly take that as a compromise.

I've been to most of the big arenas in the UK and a good few in Europe and I'd rate the 3Arena better than nearly all of them for view, and sound.
    The sound for all seated gigs is very good, there can be reverberation sound issues with the full standing area .
    They should put some sound dampening curtains in under the seating area but that would reduce the capacity a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Nonsense.

Its an excellent venue .
    It was specifically designed for concerts unlike most arenas.
    The worst seats in the house are 60m from the stage as opposed to 100m in a normal arena.

Its been the busiest venue worldwide with a capacity of 10-15k over the last 10 years.
    It was the 10th busiest venue in the world in 2019 and the 5th busiest in Europe.

Sure a few acts cant fit the full staging in there but I'd gladly take that as a compromise.

I've been to most of the big arenas in the UK and a good few in Europe and I'd rate the 3Arena better than nearly all of them for view, and sound.
    The sound for all seated gigs is very good, there can be reverberation sound issues with the full standing area .
    They should put some sound dampening curtains in under the seating area but that would reduce the capacity a bit.

Love the 3Arena. Get that great sense of excitement heading up the Liffey road towards East Wall. And then the buzz of getting inside the venue. Couple of times I was sitting up in the upper deck. Back near the back. And it doesn't take away from the show at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Nonsense.

Its an excellent venue .

So its an excellent venue but the sound is sh1te?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Plus the SSE in Belfast was also built to facilitate the ice hockey teams etc. He could always add a Dublin show after the Belfast one sells out or maybe he is back for a big outdoor Dublin show in Summer 2022.

I know some people dont like the 3Arena but I've never been to a bad sounding gig there as of yet

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DarMul17

Was at the back for Radiohead in 2017 and was a stunning show. The sound was great, was at the front for a bunch of shows such as Arcade Fire, Bjork and Yeah Yeah Yeahs and the sound was quality.

2022 gig tour is so far away I don't know how many people could buy for something so far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,625 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

DarMul17 wrote: »
    Was at the back for Radiohead in 2017 and was a stunning show. The sound was great, was at the front for a bunch of shows such as Arcade Fire, Bjork and Yeah Yeah Yeahs and the sound was quality.

2022 gig tour is so far away I don't know how many people could buy for something so far off.

I guess there will be lot of pent up demand and with vaccines gigs in 2022 have more realistic chance of going ahead than this year.

DarMul17 wrote: »

The only reason the gigs are going onsale on Monday is because he is playing the Superbowl the previous night.

It's always nice getting the cost of the tickets out of the way

I'm hoping we see the return of gigs for the Autumn/Winter 2021, thinking more in the line of British bands doing tours of the UK and Ireland. No way can i see US bands travelling over to Europe or vice versa

It's always nice getting the cost of the tickets out of the way

I'm hoping we see the return of gigs for the Autumn/Winter 2021, thinking more in the line of British bands doing tours of the UK and Ireland. No way can i see US bands travelling over to Europe or vice versa

Yea the only gig I have is Jools Holland in Oct (which im trying to be positive that it will happen) and I actually cant wait to taste an overpriced pint in a plastic cup :pac::pac:.
    Also booking tickets for the Book of Mormonn in Dec this weekend

Yea the only gig I have is Jools Holland in Oct (which im trying to be positive that it will happen) and I actually cant wait to taste an overpriced pint in a plastic cup :pac::pac:.

Know the feeling, can't wait to get back to the gigs for both the gig itself and the day out

The more i think back about it, **** me the merch stands and drink lines at gigs are mayhem with people basically on top of each other

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Actually just booked tickets for Book of Mormon last night with a few mates. Saw it a few years ago in the West End, absolutely brilliant!!

Le Bruise wrote: »
    Actually just booked tickets for Book of Mormon last night with a few mates. Saw it a few years ago in the West End, absolutely brilliant!!

Yea I've heard loads of great reviews so looking forward to it

Is that the musical from the South Park creators ?

• Advertisement

Is that the musical from the South Park creators ?

Yes, Trey Parker and Matt Stone. It's genius (if you like that sort of humour of course)!:)

Yes, Trey Parker and Matt Stone. It's genius (if you like that sort of humour of course)!:)

I love South Park so i'll say i'll enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭exilec

Going by the Weeknds stage at the superbowl it would definitely not fit in a place like the 3Arena

Going by the Weeknds stage at the superbowl it would definitely not fit in a place like the 3Arena

I wouldnt be surprised if he headlines EP in 2023 or a Marlay Park headliner

Tbf I'd say the Weeknds show will be class

Not into pop music much but his stuff is pretty catchy

https://www.facebook.com/radionova100/photos/a.10151723412133667/10158256208038667/

Possibly a gig announcement more than likely a date for 2022

Foo Fighters returning ?

https://www.facebook.com/radionova100/photos/a.10151723412133667/10158256208038667/

Possibly a gig announcement more than likely a date for 2022

Foo Fighters returning ?

Would be all over any gig at this stage....but particularly a return of the Foos!

Would be all over any gig at this stage....but particularly a return of the Foos!

Same, In late 2019/2020 id be meh about another Foo Fighters show giving id seen them twice in previous years

This pandemic made me empty my bucket list and start over :D

Cant see this gig announcement been for 2021 unless its for November/December

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Mad to think I was last at a gig in January 2020. !

Advertisement