Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judaism and circumcision

• 06-02-2021 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

I have a question which I want to ask genuinely because I want to know the true answer. I do not intend to initiate a load of off-colour jokes or dismissive comments.

But if a male adult Gentile wanted to convert to Judaism, say to smooth the way to marrying a Jewish woman, would he be required to undergo circumcision if he had not already done so?

And if he did, could it be done surgically under anaesthetic, a procedure that is sometimes required for medical as opposed to any religious reasons, or would it have to be a ceremonial event administered by a mohel?

I am genuinely curious. I do not intend passing any comments other than thanks on receipt of a knowledgeable answer.

Advertisement