Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DotA 2 General Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Dustaz wrote: »
    Watching the blizzard guys talk about blizzard dota and playing dota 2, the total gulf in creativity is astonishing. Icefrog took a good idea and ran with it. But he has run out of breath, he has nothing more to offer.

From the beginning his intention was to first create a perfect DoTA port, to bring the massive competetive community across from DoTA1 , only once he has created essintally DoTA1 with improved graphics can he begin to innovate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Exactly what GO_Bear said, they're trying to transfer Dota 1 over to the new engine precisely before they start adding/rebalancing stuff, which imo is definitely the right way to go. As for Icefrog doing zero to advance the game type/running out of steam or whatever, he still does a great job of rebalancing the game when the metagame shifts to a dominant strategy (introducing smoke when the game became too centred around Chinese style turtle & farming games being the latest example).

I don't know how much you guys keep up with high-level Dota but you see new strategies emerging and countering the main strats of the current metagame all the time, the makeup of the standard game from lane makeup to hero picks changes every few months. The game is still vibrant and evolving - it's not like Dota is just a stagnant game. Icefrog is great at stopping that from happening.

I'd imagine though that the original Dota isn't gonna get patched much during the beta.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Dustaz wrote: »
    Did you really have to press o to level in the original dota? Its been so long since I've played it that i just dont remember that. The more elegant solutions provided by HoN/Lol/BLC have obviously blinded me to its outdated design.

And thats the point about dota 2 in general. From even before i got the beta i smelled a rat from reading about it. Fair play to Icefrog (thats his name right?) for perfecting the genre in its first incarnation, but he has done absolutely zero to advance the gametype. Im sure dota 2 will appeal to those who still play dota 1 as its pretty much just dota with new graphics. HoN refined dota far more and he copied some but not all of that. LoL forked the road even more and introduced ideas to the genre that some people love and some people hate but icefrog didnt even think about actually innovating at all.

Watching the blizzard guys talk about blizzard dota and playing dota 2, the total gulf in creativity is astonishing. Icefrog took a good idea and ran with it. But he has run out of breath, he has nothing more to offer.
    ye you had to press o or press the yellow cross and then pick a spell afaik.
    I think he is doing what gobear says, take all of dota 1 community, that game will die and then he will add to dota 2. But first make sure dota 1 players are happy to switch. :p He'll probably just steal a lot of things from the other games and add to the spectating and mentoring features in dota 2 etc

one thing icefrog seems good at is balancing the game, and making small changes to affect gameplay. I think a lot of people complain about balance in lol and hon, not sure as i dont play them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

So whats the verdict on this game? Is it a LOL beater? I downloaded LOL yeeeeeeeears ago but never gave it a chance and deleted it so i feel like i kinda missed the LOL bandwagon. Getting a new proper gaming rig early next year and kinda want to try my hand at a DOTA style game.

So? What you guys think? Will LOL/HON still have a strong following after DOTA2 is released? Or is DOTA2 just gonna clean the floor with them? Im ruling out Blizzards DOTA for the moment seeing as it just got announced at Blizzcon so i reckon it will be a good ways off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

So whats the verdict on this game? Is it a LOL beater? I downloaded LOL yeeeeeeeears ago but never gave it a chance and deleted it so i feel like i kinda missed the LOL bandwagon. Getting a new proper gaming rig early next year and kinda want to try my hand at a DOTA style game.

So? What you guys think? Will LOL/HON still have a strong following after DOTA2 is released? Or is DOTA2 just gonna clean the floor with them? Im ruling out Blizzards DOTA for the moment seeing as it just got announced at Blizzcon so i reckon it will be a good ways off.

No it's not a LoL beater mainly because they are two extremely different fanbases, in essence it's the difference between CS and COD both shooters but have so many incomparable differences.

The only likely hood is that it completely destroys HoN which wouldn't be really surprising. But anyway it's a long way off from releasing.

• Advertisement

I think Stev_o put it best, they are two very different things with different fan bases.

I personally like all three, right now I am loving this game, I have about 120 hours clocked up. Still needs alot of work yes, but I just like how it feels.

My own opinion is that;

It will crush HoN, regardless, HoN may keep its stable low playerbase but DoTA will dominate it because, It will be coming from the steam platform and when everything is fully ported and basically a DoTA1 port ( which is what is intended to begin with ) you will get the massive DoTA 1 community trickling over ( however stubborn they are, when they see the greener grass its only a matter of time before they hop the wall ). Don't get me wrong I loved HoN, and still do I will miss alot of the better designed S2 heroes like Maliken, Puppet master, Electrician and Bombardier ( albeit a few of their skills are "borrowed", Mana shield being one example )

For LoL, it won't kill it, thats for certain, maybe the promise of better graphics and the steam platform might bring a few, I don't think that many casual players will like it, my hope is that it brings the seasoned vets over, I know a few HoN teams that left for LoL and have since started again in DoTA2. Since we are still in my personnel opinion ! I feel I have to say I think DOTA2 is a much better competitive game for playing and watching.

I do like LoL, and was even playing it last night with my mate for a bit, but the funny thing is ... many of the thing I take issues with ( no denying, runes, summoner spells, masteries, f2p, very wide lanes, massive tower damage, inhibitor respawn, low area of hero influence i.e short ranges on abilities, massive early regen with spamable skills for the laning phase, no courier, free tp to base, symmetrical map, having the same heros on both teams)

Are things that LoL players like, while many of the issues that LoL players have about DOTA are things that I enjoy xD

Hard to say, the best thing I can think well ever happen for DoTA 2 is IF they have a huuuuuge advertising campaign and lots of people who are BRAND new to MOBA's influx in, then Match making could result in teams comprised mostly of completely new players who learn together, rather than in HoN when if you are brand new, you can end up on teams with players with around 100 games. ( a big contribution to LoL's success I think, I mean for example in my first few games of LoL, I think I was the only one in them who had played a moba before, but I quickly leveled up out off that pool to more experienced players)

TL;DR

I don't know, but I am quite pleased :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

GO_Bear wrote: »

Are things that LoL players like, while many of the issues that LoL players have about DOTA are things that I enjoy xD

Totally agree with you. All the things you mentioned are the things i like about LoL (plus, bigger FoV, Simpler map, and a few other things). And i came from playing dota and hon.

Dota 2 wont have a massive effect on lol at all. HoN may well be in trouble though.

I would take issue with you saying that x is a better moba game to watch than y though.

They're ALL ****e to watch. Utterly utterly terrible to watch. Far too complicated and FAR too long. Its WoW all over again. The sooner tournaments realise this the better.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

doesnt lol have a ridiculous amount of specs? more than sc II etc?
    I love watching them but wouldnt know about most people!

really starting to enjoy dota 2, especially after making my autoexec :D
    lich is a beast!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

**** the chronosphere, worse than Trynda's Endless Rage crap.

Loving Tinker. Anyone want a game? I'll be on for a few hours, Suicyclist [éire].

An other day perhaps!done for today. Void is quite squishy though, I've mostly done best with n'aix, what a beast! Threads, desolator win.

• Advertisement

AA by far my favourite hero at the moment, such a strong hero.

Aye have not got to play as many games as I would of liked over the last week, if we can get 5 that would be awesome.

I am enjoying witch doctor again, such an aggressive hero, I should be on tonight for a bit anyways

maelks thoughts on concede

http://www.gosugamers.net/dota2/blogs/3587

Will you be on tonight Tar ? I only got your steam message last night when I was going to bed ! Would like to get some games going again, although the gods of the solo queue have been good to me as off late

Think so yeah! Want to play lots, have only got about 15 games total in the beta as I hate soloing!

needed you for that game 2, the pub guy we got was so bad and cost us a 70 minute game :(
    my enchantress was sick though! aghanims, shivas, malevoyance, sheepstick. the sheer damage of her ulti :D

Played a fun game as Jugger, my support was great and I got my battlefury at roughly 20 minutes ( same time as their Void )

Ended up out carrying him because he bought his Butterfly after I had my monkey king bar .....

In Soviet Russia, Butterfly counter MKB !!

Na'Vi pulling off the Chen and Pudge " Hook to the well " using test of faith lol, at 25 minutes in

http://www.own3d.tv/user/DotA#/watch/327007

haha that was sick!

all you play is jugger :p

i cant even remmeber what monkey king bar does, thats the ministun extra damage one?

EDI: lol saw its 'new' true strike ability, nice.

Why can you toggle it off?

In DoTA 1 true strike was coded as a 100% 1x critical with the option: never miss enabled, so it often interfered with some ranged attack modifiers like snipers headshot ( ministun ) and trax frost arrows which I think applied their orbs as a type of "critical" damage i.e the true strike overrode all extra damage.

So if you are fighting heroes with no evasion, you could turn it off to get back these modifiers

AFAIK .....

Limitation of the WC engine again I think ... I wonder what they will do with it in DOTA 2

I was out of work the end of last week sick and played AA 22 times in 4 days LOL

• Advertisement

i do not even know what that heroes spells do tbh!

anybody up for some in a while after mah dinner? been randoming every game and it's a tough life but you get to do all the heroes this way.

Perhaps gonna have a quick shower though, on a win streak at the moment :O

ima loser, have to be the worst dark seer ever, was my first time playing him and was just so lost as to how i could do any decent damage. Think i fail at the ulti or its ****

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Only played two champs so far, Tiny and Tinker, I seem to be much better with the latter. Who else is fun to play, I'm thinking pudge cause I've played a lot of Blitzcrank.

Aye pudge is alot of fun, when you have the level 4 hook its range is massive so you have a really big area of influence, he is expected to solo mid though so be ready for that

Got 5 on tonight, and won 4 out of 5 games so far !!! Bi-Winning

Yeah had fun lads, up early so don't wanna be half asleep. I done that for years when I played css haha.

That chuck tar, instant double kill for the big Allyson Greasy Duetshaker

best throw everrrrr :P

drow + furion = win tonight

and tide !

Ursa in todays patch

• Advertisement

Bitta solo roshan at level six.

Finally random antimage and think I'm gonna rip it up.... Huskar on our team goes 10-0. In 5 mins and we push mid all the way and kill throne at 15, dammit! Had no kills lol

Advertisement