Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Books Of The Western World

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Nearly finished Rosseau. I would still recommend him, very readable and interesting observations. But I think I'm starting to identify a trend which crept in where Rosseau feels very much like a public intellectual rather that someone who has had skin in the game of public governance and leadership in the way that Seneca, Marcus Aurelius, Jesus Christ, St Augusine or even Machiavelli had. I wonder is this a little marker along a historical road which took us from individuals like that to our contemporary intellectual class, who would (in some cases, not all) hesitate to send to the shop to buy milk.

About a quarter of the way through Voltaire's CANDIDE. Pleasant, holds up well as a send-up of philosophical and religious absurdities.

Finished THE SOCIAL CONTRACT. It begins very well but I feel flags towards the second half.

More than 2/3 of the way through CANDIDE now, and - just a passing comment - but the amount of rape somewhat surprised me. It's not graphic in a contemporary sense but there are certainly some gruesome accounts of rape-murder by soldiers in a few different chapters. For a satire I guess I thought Voltaire would skate over the details. Was this material a little shocking for the time also? Or did they not particularly care?

Listening to book 1 of Adam Smith's THE WEALTH OF NATIONS. It is a huge work, 40 hours of an audiobook, and I'm not honestly convinced I will go the whole hog with it, but we'll see how far I get. I must say that book 1, covering the notion of division of labour and the invention of commerce (so far) is very accessible and pleasant.

CANDIDE is finito. Very enjoyable, I think worth reading solely to read the passage which is the origin of 'pour encourager les autres'.

I'm about 1/20 of the way through THE WEALTH OF NATIONS. Still enjoying it, but it's going to be a long listen. I'm passed a rather dry discussion of commodities and Smith is speaking now of why 'masters' find it easier to organise than 'workers' to bargain collectively. In some ways its a timeless discussion.

'Masters'
    - Fewer of them so inherently easier to organise, Smith says
    - Collectively disposed towards cooperation as they are outnumbered
    - Can withstand a withdrawal of workers' labour longer than workers can withstand a withdrawal of permission to use resources / land / receive payment

Workers
    - The opposite of all of the above
    - Smith says there are acts of parliament preventing them from withdrawing their labour

Smith talks about how the 'natural state' is that a worker owns all of the product of his labour, but that this natural state became impossible once the division of labour and invention of private property came into play and go hand in hand. Now, no one can escape a landlord's demand for a cut / rent.

Now, in terms of print reading, I have a confession to make.

I have a copy of Henry Fielding's TOM JONES, HISTORY OF A FOUNDLING and I read about 50 pages. Frankly it's not dreadful, I have read worse, but I am at a point in my reading list where genuinely I am starting to see time spent poured into books that are not doing it for me as probably a bit stupid. This is not THE BIBLE, or THE ILIAD, where I know there is a dividend if I keep pushing. It's an 18th century novel that probably no one reads for pleasure now, and it has a really painful narrative style, if anyone has ever tried it. It was 'racy' for its day, but now I can't help but feel that I'd rather just skip it and when the time comes read Jane Austen and Charles Dickens and bloody enjoy them.

So no Henry Fielding for me.

I'm going to read a few bits of Samuel Johnson's THE LIVES OF THE POETS (Particularly interested in the little life of Milton).

Almost finished the life of Milton in Samuel Johnson's THE LIVES OF THE POETS.

Johnson is quite scathing parts, he's the epitome of the bitchy critic in some ways.

There's a lively, journalistic quality to his writing, though. He has an eye for some of the scandalous bits that he knows the reader will want to hear about, like Milton's problems with his wife.

He marries her, brings her to his monastic boarding-school type house where they're all living this life on contemplation, and she quickly buggers off to her friends / family, to continue living a more normal lifestyle. She reneges on a promise to return to him, and Milton ... Well, he churns out a few screeds on why divorce is good, until eventually she comes back to him on her knees (Literally.. According to Johnson).

Making quicker headway through Adam Smith than I expected.

1/8 of the way through THE WEALTH OF NATIONS this morning... It's still oddly compelling, but I'm not promising I will last the entire thing, depending on whether it descends into the truly arcane.

Smith really does traverse the length and breadth of the notion of profit, wealth and so on. I'm sure that this is (literally) finance and economics 101 for anyone who was educated in the subject, but to me it's relatively new. I'm familiar with some of the concepts, but Smith assumes nothing and lays it out pretty clearly.

Random thoughts:-

He talks about why some jobs pay more than others. It's not just about the difficulty of the work or the skill involved, or the demand... He notes a point that it can also be to do with sheer unpleasantness. It seems that the best example of this that he can come up with is the job of a collier (Coal miner). For reasons that are still obvious to us today, he remarks that they have to be paid quite well just to get them to do their horrendously dangerous job.

Insurance... Smith notes that we don't think about risk in the same way for every subject. No one pays for overland insurance, he says, and yet everyone understands the need for sea insurance (Ships at sea). Smith notes that there are large shipping concerns with 30 plus ships who might choose NOT to insure their ships as the ships nearly insure each other... The cost of adding up all the premiums together outweighs the cost of a loss, so the merchant just accepts the potential risk.

Lotteries... Smith is scathing about the odds of winning, and remarks in particular on those who buy more than one ticket. Not sure about the mathematics of this in an absolute sense, but he says buying more than one ticket in a large lottery effectively only increases the degree to which you are likely to be a loser...

• Advertisement

Due to start a copy of Edwards Gibbons' THE DECLINE AND FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE (An abridged version, it's a single volume Penguin Classics that I've had since my teens).

I've been looking forward to this for a long time as probably the Greek and Roman era are what I've enjoyed the most thusfar about this whole project. Gibbons' English is famously excellent, some have said he is the greatest prose writer to have ever lived.

Enjoying THE DECLINE AND FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE - the language is truly amazing.

Also liked this in the Introduction by the editor:-

"Gibbon appears to have been most chary of discussing his history in these years, when he was writing the first volume. [...] His London acquaintances may well have known that he was engaged in some historical project, but they too were literary men, busy on ambitious schemes of their own. Before the event, they had no to assume that the little fat man with the red hair, the high voice, the fancy clothes and the absurd mannerisms was writing the greatest history that has ever been published in any of the languages of mankind."

Striking lines in THE DECLINE AND FALL where Gibbons talks about the fact that "the road of fortune" was open to all the provincials conquered by the Romans, and through "merit" they could gain the protection and advantage of Roman citizenship and all the benefits that went with that. He writes of the grandsons of the Gauls who besieged the Legions attending Rome as senators, and bringing their virility and energy to the service of Rome.

I'm a 1/4 of the way through THE WEALTH OF NATIONS now. It's easier going than I anticipated, but I must admit I did skip a chunk related to stocks and the circulation of money.

Smith talks about the distinction between productive and unproductive labour. All public servants (He mentions the army, for example), are engaged in unproductive labour. No matter the work they complete this year, it will not buy protection next year. So true.

1/2 way through THE WEALTH OF NATIONS now, making decent headway.

Striking how concerned Smith was with the risk posed by monopolies. At the time of writing it seems there was a pressure to legislate against what was perceived to be a dangerous proliferation of shop keepers and small businesses, but Smith noted that such activity could only be good for producers and the customer. The effect would be that they might have to buy dear and sell cheap, whereas the risk of monopoly is the converse.

What would Smith have made of the tech monopoly and state of the high street today? All but destroyed, COVID 19 being the final nail in the coffin? Or perhaps it's more like an accelerant thrown atop a burning fire.

Still working on and enjoying THE DECLINE AND FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE.

Can't help but relate the chapter I'm reading, about the virtuous Marcus Aurelius and his (all too human) error in choosing his son Commodus as successor, to the movie 'Gladiator', for obvious reasons.

Commodus, according to Gibbon, showed early signs of normality and the potential to grow into a virtuous man. Gibbon argues that he was led astray by dissolute advisors who encouraged his darkest tendencies, until cruelty became his default behaviour. A lesson, once again, that absolute power presents a moral challenge to the holder that requires immense maturity and positive moral influence around the wielder. Checks and balances go without saying, but if they exist then is it really absolute power...

• Advertisement

I have another few weeks left with Adam Smith. I ended up marking out about 30% as material in THE WEALTH OF NATIONS that I decided not to read... Mainly more technical elements that I think might have dated badly (But speculating to an extent, as I didn't read / listen to them).

Still enjoying but not making massive headway into Edward Gibbons.

I'm over two years into this project and I can safely say that I've read more primary texts than I did in 5 years of university. Probably by a colossal margin, I wasn't great at going to the library and doing my reading... I was either skimming, using secondary texts or outright bluffing.

In recent weeks I have been reflecting on what I've read and there are undoubtedly stand-outs that I am already considering revisiting in the future. Thucydides, Seneca, Epictetus, Marcus Aurelius, Livy, Plutarch... Having reached that realisation of what I like and find personal value in, it has made me consider at what point grinding through some of the other less enjoyable material becomes a bit stupid. There is a tipping point where it becomes about OCD and stubbornness.

In the first year I had to guard against giving in and taking the easy way out with particular books.... The Old Testament springs to mind, but there have been many others.

But now I feel the need to accelerate a process I have already been employing to some extent, and to curate what is on the remains of the list. I could easily spend a further two years or perhaps three years before completion if I strictly observed the list.

I feel like sinking two years into Mortimer J Adler's reading list in order to acquire an understanding of what is actually enjoyable and useful for me to read has been worth it.

So I have made a decision to prune the list in favour of the following. This will be my final off-ramp from this project. Upon conclusion I will begin tackling a large, large backlog of contemporary fiction and non-fiction which is waiting on my shelves. All of it is lighter than what I am reading now. I plan to simultaneously begin dipping back into some of the classics mentioned earlier in this post, and then take a self-guided approach beyond that. There are books out there which were never on Adler's list which I think I would probably enjoy greatly...

0. Boswell - Life of Samuel Johnson
    1. Hamilton et all - The Federalist Papers
    2. Jeremy Bentham
    3. Wordsworth
    4. Coleridge
    5. Jane Austen
    6. Von Clausewitz
    7. Ralph Waldo Emerson
    8. Nathaniel Hawthorne
    9. Alex De Tocqueville
    10. Mill
    11. Thoreau – Civil disobedience
    12. Marx
    13. Melville
    14. Dostoevsky
    15. Twain
    16. William James
    17. Nietzsche
    18. Freud
    19. Shaw
    20. John Dewey
    21. Alfred North Whitehead
    22. Lenin
    23. Thomas Mann
    24. Kafka
    25. Sartre
    26. Solzhenitsyn

Looking at this list, there is probably still the guts of two years' work here. We'll see...

Adam Smith makes some really interesting observations in the final couple of books of THE WEALTH OF NATIONS.

He talks about the threat posed by barbarians to civilised peoples. The examples he uses, of nomadic people threatening more civilised societies which have moved from shepherding to husbandry to farming, is oddly exactly what is going on in my reading with THE DECLINE AND FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE. Gibbon is painting a picture of virile vandals and goths coming south and beating larger armies of roman legions (Sometimes defending excellent fixed positions). Smith and Gibbon agree that the more primitive people, living harder outdoor lives, pose an inherent threat to wealthier, softer societies.

But Smith makes the canny observation that wealth and technology intersected to create a situation in warfare that changed all that. Upon the invention of firearms, skill at personal arms and the various means by which societies cultivated fighting power all changed. Now with the new technology came a buy-in price to equip and keep operating an army armed with firearms. Suddenly, wealthier nations pulled clear off the more primitive societies. The gap that emerged still remains! Top tier western armies have things like night vision technology which enables them to fight at night, while the majority of the developing world's militaries totally lack this capability. And so it continues.

I began and abandoned Boswell's THE LIFE OF SAMUEL JOHNSON almost immediately.

It's considered a class of the genre of biography. Boswell was a close friend (20 years) of Johnson, and admired him greatly. I have a 50 hour audiobook version and about 1 hour in I very much questioned what possible use this is to me to wrestle my way through.

I already know far more than I ever want to about what a precious 'scholar', 'without equal' young Johnson was. I'm led to believe he was such hot stuff he was borne on the shoulders of his school mates out of pure respect.

Honestly, ain't nobody got time for this, so it was on to THE FEDERALIST PAPERS.

Ah! Now this is more like it. Hamilton and others writing brief polemics in favour of the establishment of the Union.

The first several cover questions around risk. They address whether the States are at greater or lesser risk of war or exploitation by stronger states if they fail to form a union, and exist either individually or in lose confederacies. A wide variety of arguments are also deployed in favour of the idea that the union by its nature would enable better government due to the nature of a federal government and the way it draws people and resources.

Still working my way through the DECLINE AND FALL and also THE FEDERALIST PAPERS.

THE FEDERALIST PAPERS are just long enough that I can listen to a full one on my way into work each morning. I have to say, the language and polemic is stunning. This is great rhetoric, in my view.

Oddly there are things that Hamilton and Madison have to say which are relevant today, in this era of highly polarised US politics. Although when they wrote they were arguing against the peril of faction deriving from a different set of circumstances than Americans face today, and arguably the States were even more politically and religiously diverse then than they are now, I guess. And maybe their military and economic interests were even more divergent.
    Hearken not to the unnatural voice which tells you that the people of America, knit together as they are by so many cords of affection, can no longer live together as members of the same family; can no longer continue the mutual guardians of their mutual happiness; can no longer be fellow citizens of one great, respectable, and flourishing empire. ... Shut your hearts against the poison which it conveys; the kindred blood which flows in the veins of American citizens, the mingled blood which they have shed in defense of their sacred rights, consecrate their Union, and excite horror at the idea of their becoming aliens, rivals, enemies.

Epic stuff.

I'm at a stage in THE DECLINE AND FALL where Gibbon has just written about a period just before the proper decline sets in. Gibbon likens it to a reprieve, a return to the form of previous glory, before the collapse.

Diocletian, as emperor, divided his authority not just with one other Caesar, but in fact among three others. He created a model of four princes. Two elder statesmen with responsibility for the softer and richer stations of Italy, Africa and Asia, and then hardier younger Caesars minding the Rhine and the Danube.

Interesting that Diocletian actually abdicated the purple. He extracted a commitment from his co-elder, Maximian, that he would abdicate at the same time. Later, Maximian visited Diocletian in his native Illyria, where he had retired, and tried to persuade him to take up the reins of power again. Diocletian is reported to have told him that if he could but see Diocletian's cabbages that he had planted, then he would understand why he did not intend to (I'm paraphrasing).

I would be fascinated to know more about what Diocletian's views on leadership and administration were. Gibbon talks a bit about him, describing him basically as a methodical and competent man, but with no interest or aptitude for philosophy or the liberal arts. He does quote Diocletian saying at least one very insightful thing... That a supreme ruler lives in a bubble and there is a strong disincentive for his courtiers not to present him with an impression of reality which is to his liking. He warns that as this goes on sooner or later the ruler ends up living in a setting made a wasteland by venal courtiers.

At the same time, Gibbon is very clear that it was Emperors like Diocletian who brought about a situation where powerful civil servants, often eunuchs, became the gate keepers of power and access to the Emperor.

He harkens back to a time when the Caesars were merely powerful executives, but with small households and modest ownership of slaves. In contrast, Diocletian and others become the more god-like rulers we might think of when we think about absolute monarchs of the ancient world. Such monarchs were not really the norm for the Romans for much of their history.

Important to note that the apparatus for ruling the empire, described above, only survived until shortly after Diocletian's abdication. Then there was a slide into civil war when the 'wrong' people started filling the vacuum for Caesar positions.

The Federalist Papers no 29... Hamilton is speaking of the tone of some of the critiques he is reading which are arguing against the new Constitution which he is in favour of.

He says of what he is reading "a man is apt to imagine that he is perusing some ill-written tale or romance, which instead of natural and agreeable images, exhibits to the mind nothing but frightful and distorted shapes "Gorgons, hydras, and chimeras dire''; discoloring and disfiguring whatever it represents, and transforming everything it touches into a monster".

The polarised language of today's political landscape, and the recognition by those at the top of media platforms and political campaigns that the public is easily manipulated when presented with extreme and terrifying visions, is the continuance of the phenomenon Hamilton noted.

"If it bleeds, it leads"

"Project Fear"

Etc.

I'm going over some of the key Federalist Papers, particularly no. 10, and then I think I'm ready to move on.

In THE DECLINE AND FALL I'm at around the halfway mark. Constantine was just trounced the Praetorian Guard in Italy. Gibbon has a neat turn of phrase in describing the bravery with which the Praetorians went down, however. Recognising the desperate nature of their last stand, in that they had no chance of survival under Constantine's regime anyway, their bodies lay on the position which they occupied in battle. That is, they did not retreat, but died where they stood.

I'm due to read Jeremy Bentham's AN INTRODUCTION TO THE PRINCIPLES AND MORALS OF LEGISLATION.

I'm actually quite interested in Bentham and his role as probably the foremost legal philosopher who ever lived (I'm not even going to qualify that by saying "in the Western world"), and basically I guess he's the daddy of utilitarianism, at least that's what I understand.

Bentham believed the law should do the greatest amount of good for the greatest amount of people.

It strikes me that this gels quite well with some of the content in the Federalist 10, which I listened to again yesterday. In that paper they note that faction and dissent among a community arises due to things like the inherent differences of interest between those with property and those without, between creditors and debtors and so on.

Isn't the law really about regulating those differences, at a fundamental level... To stop the whole society tearing itself apart.

• Advertisement

I am waiting to finish Gibbon before I try and make some headway through Bentham. I can't get a decent audiobook for Bentham so I will give a written copy a crack and then decide if it's worth wading through.

In the meantime I am pushing on to Coleridge and Wordsworth, the Romantic English poets.

So far I've been at Wordsworth for a couple of days and I have to say, it's been refreshing and contrary to my expectations.

Wordsworth was, in my mind, a sort of pastoral painter with words, talking about fields of daffodils and wandering lonely as a cloud and so on.

However, if you read the likes of LINES COMPOSED A FEW MILES ABOVE TINTERN ABBEY it's hard to disagree with the critics that he is as much a poet reflecting on memory as nature. He constantly describes his natural surroundings in terms of his present self, his former self, and notes the change and evolution between them.

And in respect of nature, it's not so much that he is content to describe but rather he is engaged in very deep self-reflexive consideration of nature and its relation to his memory, his mood and indeed his perception of the divine behind nature.

In ODE: INTIMATIONS OF IMMORTALITY he seems to me to also talk about youth versus age, and he captures himself what must have been the almost supernatural ability he had to perceive nature in such a powerful, almost psychedelic way. And then he says, no more.

There was a time when meadow, grove, and stream,
    The earth, and every common sight,
    To me did seem
    Apparelled in celestial light,
    The glory and the freshness of a dream.
    It is not now as it hath been of yore;—
    Turn wheresoe'er I may,
    By night or day.
    The things which I have seen I now can see no more.

The Rainbow comes and goes,
    And lovely is the Rose,
    The Moon doth with delight
    Look round her when the heavens are bare,
    Waters on a starry night
    Are beautiful and fair;
    The sunshine is a glorious birth;
    But yet I know, where'er I go,
    That there hath past away a glory from the earth.

The last line almost Tolkienesque!

Coleridge today.

I can see myself listening to some of the great English actors reading Wordsworth and Coleridge whenever I need something soothing. What voices, what delivery!

Coleridge shares Wordsworth's beneficent sense of nature. He says, "nature never deserts the wise and pure". So similar to Wordsworth: "Nature never did betray the heart that loved her".

I'm not saying they're wrong to admire and be in awe of nature, but even in their time they can't have been blind to what philosophers would call 'natural evil' - the inherent bloodiness of nature as a system within which humans live (Schopenhauer: "red in tooth and claw").

There was a piece in the Sunday Times by Dominic Lawson at the weekend talking about vaccines and genetic modification of medicine to achieve same. Lawson wrote that the ascent of humankind was the triumph over the senseless violence of nature using scientific means - I'm paraphrasing, but that was basically it.

This is the rebuff to Wordsworth and Coleridge when they write things like I quoted about nature. It sounds beautiful, but, in the end, nature of course harms those who are good and who love her as readily as those who are bad and who hate her.

The sea being the classic example, I guess. How many human lives vanished into its maw over the millennia...

I don't mean to be negative about Coleridge by the way, I particularly like FROST AT MIDNIGHT:-

Some great lines any father would identify with.

The inmates of my cottage, all at rest,
    Have left me to that solitude, which suits
    Abstruser musings: save that at my side
    My cradled infant slumbers peacefully.
    'Tis calm indeed! so calm, that it disturbs
    And vexes meditation with its strange
    And extreme silentness. Sea, hill, and wood,
    This populous village! Sea, and hill, and wood,
    With all the numberless goings-on of life,
    Inaudible as dreams!

I was reared
    In the great city, pent 'mid cloisters dim,
    And saw nought lovely but the sky and stars.
    But thou, my babe! shalt wander like a breeze
    By lakes and sandy shores, beneath the crags
    Of ancient mountain, and beneath the clouds,
    Which image in their bulk both lakes and shores
    And mountain crags: so shalt thou see and hear
    The lovely shapes and sounds intelligible
    Of that eternal language, which thy God
    Utters, who from eternity doth teach
    Himself in all, and all things in himself.
    Great universal Teacher! he shall mould
    Thy spirit, and by giving make it ask.

Therefore all seasons shall be sweet to thee

Some updates.

Still occasionally listening to Wordsworth and Coleridge. Might throw in a bit of Robert Frost this evening.

I must admit I have kind of stalled on my plan to get started on Bentham and instead I've hopped on to PRIDE AND PREJUDICE which is a bit of a crowd pleaser and funny even to me. Been listening to a short BBC piece on the 'spirituality of Jane Austen' which is interesting. Although she is cutting about the clergy in many of her books, she is a clergyman's daughter, and was religious herself to a degree. It seems that a very good observation is that Austen is critical of the clergy when they step outside their remit and hold forth on matters beyond that (Such as the character she ribs who is against young ladies reading novels), but is silent in respect of broader issues of religion

I'm about 2/3 of the way through THE DECLINE AND FALL and on an interesting section talking about the advantages that the early Christians had which led to them eventually becoming the dominant religion of the Empire. I'll be damned if much of Gibbons' analysis seems as good today as it did then, I highly doubt he is wrong in what he writes.

He does make an interesting observation in respect of their claim to the widespread nature of miracles, including raising the dead. This was a church era where demons were cast out in front of crowds of people on the regular. But Gibbons notes that one Roman made a request of a senior churchman in his region. He advised him that if one person could be raised from the dead in his presence, just once, then he and his entire household would convert. This Roman was senior enough that it should have been of obvious interest to the Church. And yet, they declined his offer. Gibbons doesn't quite say there was shenanigans but he notes that in his (Gibbons' day) they 'understood' that miracles required rigorous evidence as to their reality before they could be accepted. I wonder if Gibbons felt he had to imply that the miracles of his day were real, or whether he actually believed they were realer than the ones claimed by the early Church...? He does make a rather wry observation that it is odd how the early Church experienced so many miracles, and he notes that if they were effective in converting the masses then it is odd that in later eras God would sanction fewer miracles to occur...

Gibbons describes how early Christians believed that the Roman pantheon were actually demons who used their supernatural powers to masquerade as Roman gods (And, presumably, before them, Greek gods). So all of the Temples and their clerics are literally demon-worshipping and the whole Roman and Greek culture and aparatus on every level is effectively what Gibbons calls "the empire of the demons". He notes that literally every institution and practice becomes demon-tainted as a result, from the Circus to the blessings of marriages and so on. The Christian believer must segregate and step away from everything in the society around him. How difficult this must have been!

I understand Gibbons is customarily understood as someone anti-Christian. I genuinely cannot make a determination in respect of that, but it's undoubtedly clear that he is both correct and accurate in identifying the Christians as a 'fifth column' within the Empire who rose parallel to its decay.

Enjoying PRIDE AND PREJUDICE, but I just can't get the movie from a few years out of my head... "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies"...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Wallytonto

Great book and a lot of fun to read. Check the BBC series with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle. Well made and very faithful to the book.

Wallytonto wrote: »
    Great book and a lot of fun to read. Check the BBC series with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle. Well made and very faithful to the book.

Ehle uploaded her reading the whole thing on YouTube too...

I agree, it’s a great book. A true page-turner.

I'm enjoying PRIDE AND PREJUDICE so much that I have ordered SENSE AND SENSIBILITY.

I'm at the point in P&P where Wyckham and Lydia have been allowed back to see her family, before they go north to live. Of course the family are aghast when it transpires that both are bold as brass, with Lydia in particular apparently having inherited her mothers' absolute blithe unawareness of how she is perceived. It's absolutely toe-crawling. I admire Austen for having written a chapter still so evocative of social awkwardness even despite the passage of time.

Completed PRIDE AND PREJUDICE. Austen certainly knows how to give a satisfying and appropriately detailed round-up and resolution of plot lines.

I have turned the corner on THE DECLINE AND FALL. On now to Constantine's rule and I think I will finish up around Christmas time. In terms of physical texts I will read next I have Von Clausewitz's ON WAR and I have THE SCARLET LETTER, and some essays by Ralph Walso Emerson.

In listing terms I have begun a couple of shortish books by Artur Schopenhauer in the area of happiness. I studied Schopenhauer extensively in University and he is one of the more readily intelligible philosophers of that period. From him onwards (and probably before) it became increasingly arcane and technical. Philosophy vanished into language and maths games, like many disciplines did, detaching themselves from interactions with public discourse in any meaningful way.

Schopenhauer was a notorious pessimist (Although he's oddly upbeat in his description of the irredeemable state of human existence in the world). His "science of happiness" is, as one might expect, not ultimately very positive. Where I am so far Schopenhauer has made a distinction between what a person is of themselves, and what they have and do in the world.

Schopenhauer argues that what we have and what we do - for example, the state of being a wealthy monarch - are contingent things that do not ultimately satisfy us. He notes the boredom of nobles and great men. Or their avaricious fear of losing what they have. Then, perhaps moreso than now, he notes that to have property was also to have an ongoing battle to safeguard its retention in dangerous times. Schopenhaeur therefore says that to be even the most powerful of men in the world is a less meaningful thing in terms of happiness than it first appears. He suggests that being a king is really more like being an actor playing being a king on a stage, in absolute terms of what it means for your happiness.

He, as many people still do today, risks being a bit glib, I think, when he talks of 'happy faced peasants' as compared to the dour, angry faces of nobility. I don't get this romanticisation of poverty. I accept that there are all kinds of surveys and studies that suggest that people in poorer societies claim remarkable levels of happiness as compared to ourselves in the first world. I'm incredible doubtful, however, that people living at subsistence level and seeing their children die before them are happy, maybe the more accurate term is they are sanguine about the realities of their lives.

Schopenhauer talks at length about what a person is referring to what nature has ordained them to have. He is principally interested in whether or not they have an intellect of note. If they have a great mind, believes Schopenhauer, then they have a vehicle to achieve happiness even in utter solitude (Like Cervantes writing DON QUIXOTE while in prison). He's an utter misanthrope, of course. He basically sees the society of people as being a choice to be awash in vulgarity. Isolation is the other option, and his preferred one. An intellect, Schopenhauer believes, is the platform which allows a person to achieve what happiness is to be found in the world, and he leaves us in know down that it is to do with a life of the mind.

He recounts a wonderful anecdote about this and its anti-materialist implications. He talks of the riches of Ancient Greece being laid out in front of Socrates, who remarked "I never realised how much there is in the world which I do not desire."

• Advertisement

DECLINE AND FALL update..

My cousin asked me to summarise what the reasons were for the decline and fall. I stuttered my way through what I think Gibbon has said thusfar:-

- Militarily the Empire's legions and commanders went into military decline due to comfort / complacence, and barbarians started extorting and beating them in the field. I can't quote it, but I think there was a line in particular that mentioned a particular garrison putting blankets under their saddles, this was like it in a nutshell. Reminds me a bit of the apocryphal story that German special forces helicopters wouldn't fly after dark in Afghanistan... Because it was dangerous.

- The Christians were a fifth column within the Empire who didn't participate in the civil or military life of the Empire. Gibbon is certainly anti-Christian in his perspective here, hard to say otherwise. Not sure he quite explains how this fatally undermined the Empire, however. Or at least, I've not got there yet.

- Some criticisms I can't quite explain clearly that seem to have to do with the undermining of the traditional role of the Senate, and the introduction instead of Caesars who behave progressively more and more like absolute monarchs. This lead to the introduction of classes of civil servant gatekeepers (Seemingly often Eunuchs?) that Gibbon effectively argues become a class who further act to detach the ruler of the Empire from reality, worsening the state of the Empire in terms of outcomes in governance.

Advertisement