Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How's your course holding up this winter ?

Options
  • 10-12-2015 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

For those of us that play on during the winter what a bad run we've been on. If like me you still play in the Saturday morning competitions it's been a disasterous November / December. This weekend 12/13th not looking great either. My course is barely holding up. Plugged balls really slowing down play. Hopefully we'll get a day or two over Christmas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭cgh

Well I'm a member in Portarlington and The Heath,
    last weekend Port was closed all weekend, The heath was open.
    in fact The Heath is nearly always open and Full greens all year round

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

We've being open every day except one.... greens are perfect, fairways fine, bunkers 50% of them out of play some days, but the rough can be soft. Sorry Corrstown Golf Club.

In general happy enough but with the weather been so bad, most people aren't playing so not that much traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

BlackBush was closed both Sat and Sun last. Was disappointed with Sun as it turned out to be a nice day after the storm and deluge but in fairness it's not often closed. Not sure how it's holding up overall as been a few weeks now since I played any holes, have been focusing on some swing changes on the range and putting practice on the practice green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

I'm stull playing every weekend. I've got to play twice the weekend after next so will be interesting to see how that goes. At the moment is annoying as the ground is so wet it's difficult to take a proper shot of the fairways. Member in a club in London.

Really its getting to a stage when there's no point in playing. I generally take January off as the greens are frozen solid.

Roll on March/April when the weather heats up although it's been a very mild, temperature wise, winter so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Athlone has been open every weekend, greens have been rolling very quick. Some holes getting their usual seasonal flooding, but its not stopping us getting out ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Don't think Headfort has closed but I haven't had a chance to get out in weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Greenore playing great. No plugged balls and the greens are still excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 quinda

Howth has been open, with all 18 in play every weekend so far. Greens in great nick, as good as they have been all year, fairways draining very well. Only adjustment we tend to make in the winter is the use of some built in mats on our par 3 tee boxes.

I'm trying to play once a week weather permitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

portumna cancelled all their comp last weekend, and i just went up their now to try get a few holes in,course closed sign was up. it doesn't look got for weekend golf..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

My course Ballybofey, has been a disaster but really it's to be expected with the rain in Donegal this last while, it has been open but the couple of days I could play, it's been closed.
    Even the links courses up here are getting it bad, this is from Dunfanaghy GC last weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Ollieboy wrote: »
    We've being open every day except one.... greens are perfect, fairways fine, bunkers 50% of them out of play some days, but the rough can be soft. Sorry Corrstown Golf Club.

Pretty much that in Tramore. Although greens a bit bumpy in places. Couldn't really call them perfect, but not bad. Not complaints with that this time of the year. Huge bonus on keeping it in the fairway as you could be losing a ball thats just a couple of yards off.

For me the hardest shot in the winter is the little chip of a bare but soft, mucky lie. Any kind of not fully committed action and you're making fun of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭DiegoWorst

Boskowski wrote: »
    Pretty much that in Tramore. Although greens a bit bumpy in places. Couldn't really call them perfect, but not bad. Not complaints with that this time of the year. Huge bonus on keeping it in the fairway as you could be losing a ball thats just a couple of yards off.

For me the hardest shot in the winter is the little chip of a bare but soft, mucky lie. Any kind of not fully committed action and you're making fun of yourself.

Tramore still have play as it lies in the rough this time of year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Senna wrote: »
    My course Ballybofey, has been a disaster but really it's to be expected with the rain in Donegal this last while, it has been open but the couple of days I could play, it's been closed.
    Even the links courses up here are getting it bad, this is from Dunfanaghy GC last weekend.
    Nice island par 3 that looks tougher than the 17th in sawgrass

DiegoWorst wrote: »
    Tramore still have play as it lies in the rough this time of year?

Na placing everywhere last couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Course closed yesterday and today again, two weekends in a row now is getting tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Course closed yesterday and today again, two weekends in a row now is getting tiresome.

To be fair, the weather has been exceptionally bad. The amount of rain that's fallen is almost biblical.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Blessington Lakes GC back in business today, greens absolutely fantastic firm too, fairways were wet mind, lovely mild and calm this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Roganstown in great condition considering the amount of rain the last couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭cgh

The Heath was open yesterday, soft underfoot in places, very little standing water. good condition too.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Golf365

Slade Valley was open yesterday .They had 13 of the 'driest' holes in play. Underfoot in places was wet but greens very good.
    Met Eireann have monthly data showing the rainfall up to 13th Dec , Dublin 104mm of Dec rainfall compared to Mayo 188mm. http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-data.asp?Num=175

• Advertisement

Tramore open yesterday, probably should not have been. Bit of a muck slide and not much fun really despite the weather itself being quite good. Just too soft and it wasn't an air blower required after the round but a power washer. Played anyway and played quite poorly, too.
    Came home from the golf and got the 'dog treatment' :pac: wasn't allowed into the house until after I was hosed down out the back. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Thought you were going to say that she neutered you!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Moate opened yesterday and it was surprisingly good on fairways and greens but very bad in the rough which I saw all too much of having not played in 6 weeks after illness and course closures 2 Sundays in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

Anyone know what's happening in Killarney? Heard the holes by the lake got badly damaged

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Dero123

Athy was open yesterday, all temporary green, fairways in good condition only a couple of places with standing water

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JJTippBhoy

idle wrote: »
    Anyone know what's happening in Killarney? Heard the holes by the lake got badly damaged

Still some holes under water. They're talking about combining both courses (Mahony's & Killeen) to get a working 18 holes for the Christmas period.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Played Headfort Old today.

Standing water in 8-9 places, slushy in about the same. Fairways were firm ( firm'ish in some places ) but the green are holding up really well.

They were pumping the water off the course and by the looks of it poleforking in places to drain.

Really not bad considering how much rain has fallen

Advertisement