Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bats in my Belfry?

• 29-05-2007 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I was in my house last about dusk and a bat flew out of the attic hatch (which was open) around my head and down the stairs. I found him in my workshop crawling on the ground, he seemed to be weak or stunned so I scooped him up and brought him out into the garden and set him on the grass. After about 30 seconds he fluttered into the air and spent the next 15 minutes flying around the garden in figure 8’S..I guess he was feeding. There were swallows feeding in the garden at the same time and whilst I’ve always enjoyed their aerial acrobatics this little bat was more than a match for them in aerial artistry. It looked like he could almost stop in mid air and turn 90 degrees, most amazing to watch.

The thing is we are doing a lot of work on the house at the moment and certain parts of the roof, eaves and soffits and the like would be open, but I am going to have to seal them up. So how do I make sure the bat doesn't get sealed in the roof? Aren’t they a protected species?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm pretty sure they're a protected species, so interfering with a nest site would be a big no-no, even if it is in your roof.

From http://www.batconservationireland.org/php/showdev.php
    Where bat roosts are known to occur on the site of a proposed development, the National Parks and Wildlife Service or a trained bat worker should be contacted for advice. It is an offence under the Wildlife Act (1976 & 2000) to intentionally disturb, kill or injure a bat or its resting place, so any work must be carried out with advice and under licence from the NPW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Yes, they are a protected species. You need a licence to handle them and a bat roost cannot be, as far as I am aware, interfered with. As the above link ststes get in touch with the Wildlife people at the OPW.

I personally would love to have bats in my attic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Grand , thanks I'll call the Batline for advice. Yeah I like having them around.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

There are bats for quite a while now nesting in my attic, they do no harm at all. They need a very small gap to enter an attic, I've seen them go in between the wall and facia board about half an inch gap...

Can be creepy bucks though if you've got to go up into the attic:eek: ...

Advertisement