Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

wild robin a pet???

• 02-04-2007 11:48pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

A few years ago while doing some training in pottery, the owner had two robins who came into the workshop and were really tame, they would come really close...I thought they were amazing..

However, this year I fed bird seed to a robin that would come into the garden and sing while looking in the kitchen window. He still comes everyday and even follows me if I go up the road for a walk...I can know its him by the singing and he hops around the garden.

Anyone else find that by feeding, wild birds become quite tame..

I find this really strange....but cute:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Robins will do that. I'm not too sure about other birds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Robins are not shy and use this to their advantage. My Dad used to have one which would fly into the kitchen while he was having breakfast. It used to love cheese!

I have also seen blackbirds do this type of thing, and jackdaws can be social towards humans as long as there is something in it for them. :p

A friend of mine has befriended a young fox lately. It will even chase a ball for him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I was doing some gardening last weekend, and roughing up some soil in the flower beds. What looked like a female blackbird came up literally to within a foot of me working there picking out the worms I'd displaced, without a care in the world. She stayed there for a good half an hour, i'd say!

I've also had robins come up quite close to me to, and even had one actually hop into the car at Glendalough once while we were getting ready to go for a hike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Robins will certainly become very tame and will follow people around the garden but it's not always the same "tame" Robin. Ringed studies have shown that that regular visitor (especially in Winter) may not alway be the same individual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

There's a blackbird in our garden that will eat food out of the cats dish within about three feet of any of us. The cat obviously isn't present though.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Roen wrote:
    There's a blackbird in our garden that will eat food out of the cats dish within about three feet of any of us. The cat obviously isn't present though.

I'm afraid if this robin becomes too comfortable that our cat might nab him.. If I see her setting herself at all I'm clapping my hands to scare off what ever prey she has her eyes on...cat looks at me with evil eye and I know shes cursin me big time:mad:

Neighbours probably think I'm a bit batty:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭Archeron

I'm glad I found this thread. We have a fountain in the back garden, and robins are always washing and splashing about in it. Just last weekend, I was in the garden, and two of them landed on the table I was sitting at and just started skipping around no more than 4 feet away.

I thougt I was maybe a reincarnation of Dr Dolittle :( but its cool; to have them all the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 kyle 327

i fed a baby robin some worms right out of my hand
    (very tame)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Lillyella

We had a pet robin!! Robbie was his name! I'm going to try to attach photos, its my first time doing them, but you can see we bought some worms from the pet shop in Kinsealy for him, and he would come two or three times a day. The reason they are so tame is actually laziness!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Just to update ye on the robin that caused me to start this thread:

I haven't fed him now in ages, yet he still comes and sings his little heart out. I was mowing the lawn yesterday and there he was perched on a alder tree singing away. Well, thankfully my sly ol' girl the cat hasen't got to him/her.

• Advertisement
Advertisement