Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stolen gate

Options
  • 05-06-2020 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

There was gate of ours stolen last night. It has been reported to the guards, however I wouldn't be that hopeful. Anyway, I am wondering how do people who own farms prevent this kind of theft? The field would be about 3 miles from the house and there wouldn't be any source of electricity. What would the options be?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Paint the gate. A galvanised gate looks much like any other galvanised gate but a painted gate will need them to remove the paint to resell it and they can find easier pickings elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Odelay

That or drive over it a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Now that we all have them why not weld your Eircode on it were it can be clearly seen by anyone about to steal it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Portable generator, and weld the brackets to the post. ( if it's a steel post, obviously)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Cordless grinders are cheap these days, thats half the problem
    Not much you can do except be inventive with the way you hang the gate and your choice of materials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

Happened to me too. I replaced a couple of stolen gates with other gates that cattle had jumped over and bent down the top bars. Turned them upside down and hung them. Still do the job but not as attractive to thieves. No harm to report it to the guards, it does help slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Aravo

A cheap way would be to paint the gate or part of the gate. Using 2 colours would be better. On large motorway schemes, gates would be hung and weld is then put on the top of the gate at the hanger side. When the weld is put on, you cannot remove gate. you would then need an angle grinder to remove weld to remove gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Now that we all have them why not weld your Eircode on it were it can be clearly seen by anyone about to steal it.

Little engraver for sale in lidl/aldi next sunday i reckon well buy for the same reason tbh

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

I have one of those hunting trail cameras pointed at the front gate. If they steal it again at least I might get some video evidence.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Little engraver for sale in lidl/aldi next sunday i reckon well buy for the same reason tbh

If you mark it with an engraver all they need to do is run a grinder along it and you've wasted your time and money. Someone buying a cheap gate knows how it was acquired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Del2005 wrote: »
    If you mark it with an engraver all they need to do is run a grinder along it and you've wasted your time and money. Someone buying a cheap gate knows how it was acquired.

Very true but couldnt the same be said for welding it on too.

Better living everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Very true but couldnt the same be said for welding it on too.

Its just a bigger job to get it off and more noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

How about instead of your eircode being welded or engraved on.
    Just weld or engrave on "STOLEN".

Just paint half the gate and have STOLEN somewhere on the gate.
    The back of the gate if you don't want the neighbours getting ideas about yourself and it'll do the job of deterring any potential purchasers from the thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Shoot, shovel and shut up. Only language they understand .

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Do gates get stolen often. I haven't seen any travelling sales people selling gates in years.

Gates aren't awful expensive brand new in the co-op unless it's a full mesh gate so would need to be sold on at a low price. They're also very big and awkward to transport around compared to smaller more high value items.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Do gates get stolen often. I haven't seen any travelling sales people selling gates in years.

Gates aren't awful expensive brand new in the co-op unless it's a full mesh gate so would need to be sold on at a low price. They're also very big and awkward to transport around compared to smaller more high value items.

Not at all often. I haven't heard of a gate being stolen in years. That gate which was stolen was about 10 years old. It was a good quality gate though. Heavy enough. It's difficult to really know who it was!

100 euro would have been the cost of this particular gate these days. The Garda who we reported this too, informed us that his thinking would be that the thief would likely hold the gate and use it themselves. Take it out after 5-6 years of storage. He would be a part-time farmer too.. May be wrong though..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭Who2

job seeker wrote: »
    Not at all often. I haven't heard of a gate being stolen in years. That gate which was stolen was about 10 years old. It was a good quality gate though. Heavy enough. It's difficult to really know who it was!

100 euro would have been the cost of this particular gate these days. The Garda who we reported this too, informed us that his thinking would be that the thief would likely hold the gate and use it themselves. Take it out after 5-6 years of storage. He would be a part-time farmer too.. May be wrong though..

No your definitely right all part time farmers are known for stealing gates, they are the scum of the agri world.
    Can you enlighten me to how you come to the conclusion it’s a part time farmer stole the gate?

Who2 wrote: »
    No your definitely right all part time farmers are known for stealing gates, they are the scum of the agri world.
    Can you enlighten me to how you come to the conclusion it’s a part time farmer stole the gate?

I didn't mean it like that! :D

The guard who we reported the theft too, was a part time farmer. :)

Oh I see what you're referring too! It's all speculation really at the end of the day..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,741 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Haven't seen them being sold door to door for ages, they can still sell them online I guess. They used steal gates for scrap but now the price of scrap must be gone through the floor.

Thanks all for the advice and suggestions anyway!

We haven't replaced the gate yet! But ye have all made some fantastic points!

___________________________________________-
    Shoot, shovel and shut up. Only language they understand .

Patsy! I think you're onto something there! :D It's time to apply for the gun licence I think!

• Advertisement

Haven't seen them being sold door to door for ages, they can still sell them online I guess. They used steal gates for scrap but now the price of scrap must be gone through the floor.

No neither have I! If there was anything suspicious from the neighbourhood watch. You might have something to go by. But there haven't been anything in months! However, that's not concrete evidence by any stretch of the imagination. That's true I guess too..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

A fella near me had 3 bars stolen out of a crush hed only use a couple of times a year, why would you bother for all youd save out of it

A fella near me had 3 bars stolen out of a crush hed only use a couple of times a year, why would you bother for all youd save out of it

Exactly. It's the inconvenience that is so annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

job seeker wrote: »
    I didn't mean it like that! :D

The guard who we reported the theft too, was a part time farmer. :)

Oh I see what you're referring too! It's all speculation really at the end of the day..

Have you checked the Guard's shed?

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

80sDiesel wrote: »
    I have one of those hunting trail cameras pointed at the front gate. If they steal it again at least I might get some video evidence.

You need a sign sayin CCTV in operation otherwise you can't use the footage in a prosecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

irishgeo wrote: »
    You need a sign sayin CCTV in operation otherwise you can't use the footage in a prosecution.

If you knew the culprit, you'd probably forego the prosecution and go directly to the sentencing... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

irishgeo wrote: »

They are hunting trail cameras set up to watch deer , hares and whatever wildlife happens to come by. Dash cam footage is used in prosecutions so I would say there would be an angle there somewhere. Not my fault if it picked up lowlife instead of wildlife ;)

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

80sDiesel wrote: »
    ... not my fault if it picked up lowlife instead of wildlife ;)

Didn't notice a copyright so something else about to be stolen and used without attribution :)

© StevieHardesty.... 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Someone took a plate off my tractor - the one that goes to hold the lift arm on the stabiliser (hope I explained that properly).

I would have assumed it somehow fell off only that it had one of them special clips holding and he (or her) put that back in a different place.

Only €50 for a new one and they had to come in across a locked gate during the day to take it (tractor is in locked shed every night). I had the bale carrier on the back and it came off with no bale on it but it could easily have come off with a bale on it and seriously injured someone.

I wish that individual every misfortune for the rest of their life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭visatorro

The people that buy these gates don't give a ****e about names or eircodes unfortunately.

Advertisement