Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Bank Accounts in the UK

• 19-05-2020 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭

I've been meaning to sort this out for quite some time with the new stricter personal identification guidelines being introduced by banks but I keep putting it off. Looks like BOI are introducing a new app in the near future which is finally going to force my hand.

What has everyone done with their pre-existing Irish bank accounts after moving to the UK? I assume most of us don't know how long term the move is going to be so I doubt too many shut them down before moving or soon after.

Have people changed their personal details (phone number and address) to their UK versions or are they still using their Irish details? I am assuming there are minor tax implications of both doing so and not doing so.

With the proliferation of app based banks do people even see the need to keep any euro account that you may have had for years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I've been meaning to sort this out for quite some time with the new stricter personal identification guidelines being introduced by banks but I keep putting it off. Looks like BOI are introducing a new app in the near future which is finally going to force my hand.

What has everyone done with their pre-existing Irish bank accounts after moving to the UK? I assume most of us don't know how long term the move is going to be so I doubt too many shut them down before moving or soon after.

Have people changed their personal details (phone number and address) to their UK versions or are they still using their Irish details? I am assuming there are minor tax implications of both doing so and not doing so.

With the proliferation of app based banks do people even see the need to keep any euro account that you may have had for years?

It was 10 years ago but i shutdown my Irish accounts after being in the UK for 6 months.
    For those 6 months BOI had my UK address as my home address without any issues.

Unless you have money in an Irish account that you dont want to move to the UK then there is no reason to keep one open.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

There is a small bit of money in the account that was used for two reasons in the past, withdrawing a few quid when I'm back in Ireland every 3 months or so and I have a VHI policy for those living overseas and I never changed the account from where the payments come.

I now have a Starling Euro account so there's less reason to keep the account open so I may close it. Thanks for confirming that there's no issue with changing to a UK home address.

Advertisement