Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork IS running this year

• 29-01-2018 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭

Gerry Graham mentioned at the Gonzaga prizegiving yesterday that Cork is off this year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Asdee

Have not heard that. did he say why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Gerry didn't. I heard a rumour that the usual venue upped their rates sharply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

It would have been very near to the Easter tournaments anyway. Cork is a very good tournament but the Metropole Hotel sure knows how to rip people off with its exorbitant single room supplement. No harm if they get a new venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

Cork is currently scheduled for the 5-7 October (provisionally). UCD will be running an event on 18th March.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Rathminor

Cork is currently scheduled for the 5-7 October (provisionally). UCD will be running an event on 18th March.

The October date could work very well. Galway used to have this slot, but there was a long gap from the COD to Limerick.
    With St Andrews now on the calendar and Cork possibly moving to October, it will give much more early season events when people are keen to play.
    Any word on whether there will be a Galway Congress this year?

• Advertisement

I asked Pete Morris a few weeks ago if Galway would be on and he said that he didn't know yet. Galway is another very good tournament as was Enniscorthy the one time they had it. I'm very much looking forward to Easter,it is so rare that we get a chance to play in an all play all.

Is the commons inn hotel a suitable alternative?

Asdee wrote: »
    Is the commons inn hotel a suitable alternative?

I don't know it . Any hotel that offers reasonable rates and car parking is fine with me. I think that both Gonzaga and St Andrews schools have shown that good venues needn't necessarily be hotels. Decent lighting, comfortable seating,space, heat and a degree of silence is all that any tournament venue needs but obviously car parking and accommodation need to be available close by too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GubbinsIE

Cork Congress is definitely running this year 5-7 October in the usual venue. Entry on the ICU website, full details on the flyer on the Cork Chess Club website. Can't post links myself.

The Metropole is offering a room rate for congress attendees €99 single B&B, €109 double/twin B&B. If The Metropole doesn't suit there are a load of other Hostel, B&B and Hotel options in the immediate area (Coburg Street, MacCurtain Street, Wellington Road & Summerhill North).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ComDubh

Can someone please change the thread title to "Cork IS running this year?"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Done!

Good to see it back

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Pretty sure Tom McGlinchy posted a message on the RCF stating Cork IS on this year

So are the MCU running their competition at another time. They've normally run it in September also?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Asdee wrote: »
    So are the MCU running their competition at another time. They've normally run it in September also?

It's been pushed to October as it's clashing with the Ttf open

Autochange wrote: »
    It's been pushed to October as it's clashing with the Ttf open
    'ttf"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Just a reminder that the discounted rate for Cork is Sunday!

https://www.icu.ie/events/975

€50 entry fee is a bit steep! So get the entries in on or before this Sunday!

Not a huge entry for the Cork Congress yet which is surprising considering that it is usually very well attended. I would have thought that the recent Irish Championships and the current Olympiad would have whetted people's appetites for chess as well as Cork offering the chance to brush off the cobwebs before the leagues begin. There is no doubt that a lot of players in the 1900 - 2200 bracket are simply afraid to lose rating points by entering tournaments where they would be among the higher seeds but it is hard to fathom why the rest of the chess world has become so lazy about supporting weekenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Past_Pawn_99

sodacat11 wrote: »
    Not a huge entry for the Cork Congress yet which is surprising considering that it is usually very well attended. I would have thought that the recent Irish Championships and the current Olympiad would have whetted people's appetites for chess as well as Cork offering the chance to brush off the cobwebs before the leagues begin. There is no doubt that a lot of players in the 1900 - 2200 bracket are simply afraid to lose rating points by entering tournaments where they would be among the higher seeds but it is hard to fathom why the rest of the chess world has become so lazy about supporting weekenders.

The lack of fide rating and the tightly packed schedule are what would put me off playing a tournament like this, even if I wasn’t attending a family birthday that weekend. There’s also the simple fact that accommodation in ireland is expensive. A three night stay at the Cork venue will cost the same as my 10 night stay at the Malta Open this November, which is not only fide rated but 3 rounds longer with a stronger field and better schedule. This is not the organizer’s fault of course, they can’t make the hotel any cheaper, but they will have to offer more attractive conditions such as what is offered at the Limerick Open, which I am playing myself at the end of next month, or the Gonzaga Classic.

. A three night stay at the Cork venue will cost the same as my 10 night stay at the Malta Open this November, which is not only fide rated but 3 rounds longer with a stronger field and better schedule. This is not the organizer’s fault of course, they can’t make the hotel any cheaper, but they will have to offer more attractive conditions such as what is offered at the Limerick Open, which I am playing myself at the end of next month, or the Gonzaga Classic.

The Malta Open sounds very interesting. Have you played in it before? Is the hotel nice? Do many people bring their wives/partners with them?

• Advertisement

The Malta Open sounds very interesting. Have you played in it before? Is the hotel nice? Do many people bring their wives/partners with them?

I will send you a PM as to not derail the thread.

Personally I think September/early October is a bad time for a tournament. People have just started school/come back from holidays and are just setting back into routine/still thinking of sunshine at weekends. 

Accommodation wise there are plenty of options around cork. Kilkenny is equally as expensive for accommodation and I'm not sure why you'd need 3 days accommodation!

reunion wrote: »
    Personally I think September/early October is a bad time for a tournament. People have just started school/come back from holidays and are just setting back into routine/still thinking of sunshine at weekends. 

Accommodation wise there are plenty of options around cork. Kilkenny is equally as expensive for accommodation and I'm not sure why you'd need 3 days accommodation!

I would not be playing Kilkenny either for pretty much the same reasons but I will be playing in Malta so it's not really a decision.

Yes, I suppose you could only stay the 2 nights and it would be cheaper but I prefer to enjoy the Sunday evening rather than rush home. However for what is being offered I still don't see it being worth it compared to other events.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Gonzaga are bringing 14 extra players so that should bump up numbers a bit. Agreed that the previous March/April slot would be more attractive. We'd probably have double the numbers coming at that time of year.

I thought the twin-room deal with The Gresham was pretty reasonable given that it's quite a nice hotel.

I thought the twin-room deal with The Gresham was pretty reasonable given that it's quite a nice hotel.

Yeah the twin room deal is good but the price for a single room stinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Yeah the twin room deal is good but the price for a single room stinks.

That must be to encourage you to bring a chess-playing friend and increase the numbers :)

Hopefully people bring some friends!

Does anyone know if Filip Sand is playing the Masters section? It's the default option when paying so my guess is he should be in the Minors?

Will Pat Twomey play up or will there be an odd number in the Masters?

reunion wrote: »

Does anyone know if Filip Sand is playing the Masters section? It's the default option when paying so my guess is he should be in the Minors?
    ?

Seems silly to allow such a low rated player in if it is going to mean that five players who are eligible to play are going to have to take a bye. This is exactly the sort of nonsense that puts people off supporting a tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

Seems silly to allow such a low rated player in if it is going to mean that five players who are eligible to play are going to have to take a bye. This is exactly the sort of nonsense that puts people off supporting a tournament.

His National rating is 1900+ which is being counted.

There are now 60 entries, with 20 in the masters so Numbers have ticked along well in the last week.

• Advertisement

His National rating is 1900+ which is being counted.

There are now 60 entries, with 20 in the masters so Numbers have ticked along well in the last week.

I'm glad to hear that the rating floor is being observed! It is good to see that the tournament is now being well supported, the venue and playing conditions are excellent and the competition should be fierce.

Advertisement