Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon 4k Firestick 35 pounds

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

rom wrote: »

Sorry for the brain dead question. I’d yoh have a recent 4K tv, what is the appeal for something like this. Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭ablelocks

was looking at this, will it work ok in ireland, even without prime membership?

edit : i already have an apple tv 2nd gen, and an xbox, and a mini-pc plugged into the tv. I don't actually need this, do i?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Mr.S wrote: »
    A dedicated box / stick has far more power than any standalone smart TV, which are under spec'd for anything more than Netflix.

Plus something like this gives you access to a lot more apps, if you don't have a TV running Android OS. (eg multiple different TV catchup apps etc etc)

Yes they work fine. The prime membership just gives you access to Amazons video service.

I just bought a Sony 4K xf9005 which runs android. Sorry for the silly questions but what apps require more power?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

These have been reduced since last week along with the rest of the Amazon hardware, i ordered one a couple of days ago.

As regards why do you need one. Unless the Sony Android OS interface has improved fairly dramatically these or a MiBox are a much better option. The main reason i want one is so i can use my VPN for Netflix/iPlayer etc without having to connect my laptop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It should be noted that Prime Video Ireland doesn't work with these. Only UK Prime Video.

I've have the first and second gen versions of the Firestick. I use them for Kodi and Netflix. They are very good for the price, especially the new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭honda boi

These have been reduced since last week along with the rest of the Amazon hardware, i ordered one a couple of days ago.

As regards why do you need one. Unless the Sony Android OS interface has improved fairly dramatically these or a MiBox are a much better option. The main reason i want one is so i can use my VPN for Netflix/iPlayer etc without having to connect my laptop.
    This fire stick or mi box?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Have A fire TV box the last few years and a Kindle fire, honestly I don't particularly like the Amazon eco system the app store isn't great, they are at logger heads with google so they are stopping casting on each others devices . YouTube app gone now too and having some difficulty accessing it via the internet browsers on the device too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

honda boi wrote: »
    This fire stick or mi box?

I ordered the fire stick 4k myself, the mi box is running standard android rather than Amazons fork so you can just go straight to the play store for apps rather than side loading. Depends what you want it for really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

So have it a few weeks. Not used for 4k but as it can support it as its a good hardware spec it will run 3rd party apps that are basically any android apps very well unlike underpowered boxes. Cant recommend it enough compared to android boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Have A fire TV box the last few years and a Kindle fire, honestly I don't particularly like the Amazon eco system the app store isn't great, they are at logger heads with google so they are stopping casting on each others devices . YouTube app gone now too and having some difficulty accessing it via the internet browsers on the device too.

Sideoad Smart YouTube TV app

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Would there be a noticeable difference running kodi on this over a regular Fire Stick?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

blue-army wrote: »
    Would there be a noticeable difference running kodi on this over a regular Fire Stick?

It is a lot more powerful but whether you notice it depends what model you have and whether you find it slow. I upgraded from the first gen because I found it very sluggish, the WiFi was awful, and it was occasionally crashing due to (I assume) insufficient RAM. I've no major complaints with the second gen but it still chokes on certain files, so I'm hoping the third gen's more powerful CPU will rectify this.

Anyone know what size box this comes in?
    Since we need to use PW or PM to deliver.
    Also wanna buy a phone and would be better to get it shipped together but unsure if the box will be too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Also wanna buy a phone and would be better to get it shipped together but unsure if the box will be too big.

This would fit in the small parcel motel lockers, the box is about the size of a perfume box

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Sarah1916

Do you have to have amazon prime to use the fire stick?
    And does it work with any tv? Our tv is almost 8 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭bladespin

Sarah1916 wrote: »
    No, you can install various apps on the stick, Mobdro, kodi, Netflix (think that's preloaded)

Does it have a HDMI input, if so then yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

The packaging is not too big and will fit in a parcel motel box no problem, in fact only had one delivered there yesterday. Depends on the phones size though. If in doubt send it seperately or use addresspal. Ive never had anything rejected from there for being too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

Would this work for travelling as long as I have wi-fi? Say, plugging into hotels' TVs to watch what I want rather than what's offered locally? Does it actually work pretty much like an android box?

The packaging is not too big and will fit in a parcel motel box no problem, in fact only had one delivered there yesterday. Depends on the phones size though. If in doubt send it seperately or use addresspal. Ive never had anything rejected from there for being too big.

Thanks ordered the phone and firestick with PW.
    Might be separate packages as they have didn't delivery dates

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭bladespin

Would this work for travelling as long as I have wi-fi? Say, plugging into hotels' TVs to watch what I want rather than what's offered locally? Does it actually work pretty much like an android box?

Yes, that's what I do and yes very like the android box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,148 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Why buy the £34.99 4K Version when an 8 year old TV won't be close to that Resolution. You could buy the standard Fire Stick.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Stick-Remote-Streaming-Player/dp/B01ETRIFOW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

Berty wrote: »
    Why buy the £34.99 4K Version when an 8 year old TV won't be close to that Resolution. You could buy the standard Fire Stick.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Stick-Remote-Streaming-Player/dp/B01ETRIFOW

Maybe the OP is trying to future proof in case there was a good 4K TV deal coming up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

Will these work here for Prime video where location is set to UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

yes - works with Prime Video if your location is set to UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Buying this is nothing really to do with 4k content tbh. As its a good spec it will run your sideloaded apps much better. Think of it as the bargin samsung phone verus the best one on how it will run power hungry apps. The remote also controls the audio on the tv. I would suspect kodi would run well on it but I use other apps that shall not be named.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

rom wrote:
    Buying this is nothing really to do with 4k content tbh. As its a good spec it will run your sideloaded apps much better. Think of it as the bargin samsung phone verus the best one on how it will run power hungry apps. The remote also controls the audio on the tv. I would suspect kodi would run well on it but I use other apps that shall not be named.

So you'd be better off getting this fire stick rather than the basic version even if you don't have a 4k tv?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Can I run Kodi with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Toast

bladespin wrote: »
    Yes, that's what I do and yes very like the android box.

Is it able to deal with Captive Portals (web login pages) on hotel wifi networks?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 trveller72

It should be noted that Prime Video Ireland doesn't work with these. Only UK Prime Video.

I've have the first and second gen versions of the Firestick. I use them for Kodi and Netflix. They are very good for the price, especially the new one.
    I wonder if sidloading Prime Video as an apk will make any difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Carol25

Does the roku work with amazon prime?
    I bought a few today from Asda for £20 gbp each.
    I had to tweak my parcel motel address to get it to work though. They had blocked parcel motel and address pal it seemed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement