Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Having table and chairs dipped

• 19-05-2019 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭

I have a timber table and chairs. They badly need some restoration.

They are originally a blonde/ white timber. Have some old woodworm damage but have been treated.

I'm thinking of having them dipped instead of stripping them myself

Has anyone had it done?
    Was it economical?
    What were the results

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Don't do it yourself. Dipping will strip it all and what little might be left in crevices will loosen and be picked out easily. Diy is a heartbreak

You need a good dipper though. Damage can be done of its not done right. I occasionally use the dipper of Dun Laoghaire and he does the job right.

You'll need to let the items dry out properly before recoating. Once dry, they'll need a light sand to remove the surface bloom that is left after dipping

• Registered Users Posts: 33,551 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Wood worm.

Bin them. Unless they are really sentimental get rid.

listermint wrote: »
    Wood worm.

Bin them. Unless they are really sentimental get rid.

A second advantage of dipping. Eradicated woodworm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

I don't think I have the patience to do it myself

The woodworm is long gone. There is nothing wrong with them at all

Is the dipping expensive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

The chairs may need rebuilding after stripping. If the chairs are old then the stripping can also remove all the glue from the joints.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,551 ✭✭✭✭listermint

A second advantage of dipping. Eradicated woodworm.

Had a table that was dipped before.

Result fell to bits and still had wood worm.

It's not fool proof.

As I said I'd chuck it unless it's sentimental, think about the rest of your house first.

Just spoke to company and they won't do them anyway. Looks like I have to do it myself

I don't think I have the patience to do it myself

There's a paint stripper I used that kind of a gel based product rather than standard liquid. It formed a kind of skin and was pretty effective.

It would take time but quickened if you score the paint (but not into the wood) with a sharp stanley knife. It will help the chemical penetrate

Read amazon reviews and find something with plenty of ratings in the 4 or 5 stars.

There's a paint stripper I used that kind of a gel based product rather than standard liquid. It formed a kind of skin and was pretty effective.

It would take time but quickened if you score the paint (but not into the wood) with a sharp stanley knife. It will help the chemical penetrate

Read amazon reviews and find something with plenty of ratings in the 4 or 5 stars.

Thanks i will do

• Advertisement
Advertisement