Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can we talk about AH?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

The AH charter:

This is literally the opposite of what AH has become.

I've tried. Got nowhere. I've pretty much given up at this point, don't know why I'm still modding the place. Travellers, transgender threads, social welfare, politics (I still get rid of those when I see them), six million threads on RTE personalities, I'd close the lot personally. Light-hearted my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,489 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

A lot of people confuse left wing with Hilary Clinton style cultural NeoLiberalism.
    They equate anything which opposes neo-liberal views as being right wing.

It's Ironic because Neo Liberalism started out as a right wing ecnomic theory embraced by Thatcher and Regan.

Honestly, who gives a flying crap? This is the complete and utter drivel which should be punted off into space

dulpit wrote: »
    Hey all,

I know there have been a number of threads raised on the topic over the past few months, but I feel that something needs to be done about AH, it has been getting worse and worse with regards to the usual rubbish that is dealt out about travellers, feminists, social welfare, etc. The place is becoming an extremely nasty place to read, and the moderation is either slow, ineffectual or non-existent.

I understand that you can simply ignore the forum as a whole, but it can be hard to do so, due to the traffic it attracts the posts there are always popping up on home page.

I also understand that people will say that the mods are overwhelmed with the amount of posts that AH gets, but this thread - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057949890 - has been active since yesterday with limited/no moderation that I can see. The same sorts of comments from the same sorts of posters are always appearing.

What the solution is - I don't know. I personally feel that either the site needs to go down the route of allowing anything to be said, and be the worse for it, or else clean up it's moderation. Properly ban people, zero tolerance, stuff like that.

I don't know what else to say, but I will say that AH makes me sad these days, and is pushing me away from using boards in general. I can't be alone in this opinion?

Oh but you can. I messaged an AH mod a while back to ban myself from AH. It doesn't pop up on the site at all for me anymore. I found the place elicited the same reaction as I got from twitter. I'd get wound up over stupid things. Life is too short for that kind of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,198 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Oh but you can. I messaged an AH mod a while back to ban myself from AH. It doesn't pop up on the site at all for me anymore. I found the place elicited the same reaction as I got from twitter. I'd get wound up over stupid things. Life is too short for that kind of nonsense.

Yeah, you need to get worked up over who is a wolf or just an innocent villager. Those are the important issues!!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Equating agreement with what Casey said about travellers - nobody else, just travellers (that they should be held to the same standards as everyone else, which is the opposite to discrimination) - to racism (against whom?) and being extreme right is just another unreasonable position in a tapestry of them on After Hours. From various political angles.
    The issue isn't the label. You can put whatever label you like on it.

The issue is that boards.ie is significantly harder to the right than the general population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Muckka wrote: »
    We're all over 18 if we want to express hate, not liking people places and things express it...

Not everyone on Boards is over 18 and I'm pretty sure it was never designed as or intended to be a place for people to "express hate".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

The issue is that boards.ie is significantly harder to the right than the general population.

Boards posters also overwhelmingly supported the gay marriage and abortion referendums, to a far greater extent than the actual electorate.

With equal justification, it could be said that Boards is further to the left than the general population.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The issue isn't the label. You can put whatever label you like on it.

Boards posters also overwhelmingly supported the gay marriage and abortion referendums, to a far greater extent than the actual electorate.

With equal justification, it could be said that Boards is further to the left than the general population.

Glad that we've solved that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

It seems that the powers that be are happy for Boards to turn into gammon-central. Personally, I'm not sure it bodes well, given the ageing demographic. It's probably not a hugely attractive market for advertisers either.

This is something that occurred to me lately as well - given the obvious and apparently approved slide of AH from -'light-hearted fun' to an an almost unbroken cycle of threads about who or what is the greatest threat to western civilization (feminists, transpeople, immigrants or dole-recipients!), it's hard to see how this could be at all appealing to advertisers, who I presume are the financial backbone of the whole business.

It's kind of like if your local pub slowly got taken over by really loud people who just want to take about the muslim threat or the decline of masculinity, so all the people who aren't permanently in a rage about something, who just want a bit of a fun chat and some relaxed socializing start going to another pub, and then the pub becomes That Pub, the one that only the nutjobs go to. It's just bad business sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

dulpit wrote: »
    Hey all....

........but I will say that AH makes me sad these days, and is pushing me away from using boards in general. I can't be alone in this opinion?

Tell you what, why not read the threads you want to read and don't read the ones you find "offensive".

Telling the rest of us what we can say or read on these forums??? Who do you think you are pal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Keyzer wrote: »
    Tell you what, why not read the threads you want to read and don't read the ones you find "offensive".

Telling the rest of us what we can say or read on these forums??? Who do you think you are pal?

Boards is not a free for all. Never has been. There's always been censorship.

It's been greatly relaxed over the last few years, but if a bit of censorship makes the hard right/left lads leave, then I'd be all for it. Most of the threads and their content breach the AH charter.

Even the Mod of AH is saying the place is out of control.

Even the Mod of AH is saying the place is out of control.

Define "out of control"...

Define "out of control"...
    From the man himself.
    Nixonbot wrote: »
    I've tried. Got nowhere. I've pretty much given up at this point, don't know why I'm still modding the place. Travellers, transgender threads, social welfare, politics (I still get rid of those when I see them), six million threads on RTE personalities, I'd close the lot personally. Light-hearted my arse.

From the man himself.

And whats the issue with people talking about those topics? Clearly there is an appetite for discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Nixonbot wrote: »
    I noticed you shut down the Vladimir Putin appreciation thread this morning for being "too political".
    This thread had been running for nearly four years, had 3815 posts and 255 pages, so when and how did you come to the conclusion that it was "too political"?

And whats the issue with people talking about those topics? Clearly there is an appetite for discussion.

There is. But is AH the place for it? AH as per the charter is for light hearted off beat threads.

Should we have another forum where threads not fit for politics, LGBT, social welfare forum go and people can say whatever they like?

Sort of like the Thunderdome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Took 4 (FOUR) years to figure out the Vladimir Putin thread was political..

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Mod Note: A reminder that you need 100 posts and to have been registered for at least 3 months to post in Feedback.

I noticed you shut down the Vladimir Putin appreciation thread this morning for being "too political".
    This thread had been running for nearly four years, had 3815 posts and 255 pages, so when and how did you come to the conclusion that it was "too political"?

You've misquoted him:
    Not sure why we left this open, it's pure Politics, and weird at that. Thread closed, there's plenty in the Cafe and Politics to discuss Putin etc.

He said it was political, full stop. Not "too" political. Very nuanced yet important difference. So your point is moot.

FYI, that thread started off light-hearted but had long become the same handful of posters bickering with each other whilst simultaneously reporting each other. 100% unsuitable for AH. Aaaand was around before any AH mods became AH mods.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I think that way back when I was a mod it was agreed to let the thread run as long as things remained civil.

Up til the last 24 hours, there has been no mod action on the thread or reported posts for about 8 months.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,198 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I've a solution.

We create two armed groups. They meet in open battle.

Winner gets to decide what AH should be.

Weapons allowed: lightsaber, Staff of Magnus, The Holy Hand Grenade, BFG, Sheep Bomb, Fat Man, Bug Catching Net, Cluckshot, The Penetrator, Tuna Sword, Laptop Gun, Mr. Toots, The Old Worm Woman.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,396 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You've misquoted him:

He said it was political, full stop. Not "too" political. Very nuanced yet important difference. So your point is moot.

FYI, that thread started off light-hearted but had long become the same handful of posters bickering with each other whilst simultaneously reporting each other. 100% unsuitable for AH. Aaaand was around before any AH mods became AH mods.
    Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I think that way back when I was a mod it was agreed to let the thread run as long as things remained civil.

Up til the last 24 hours, there has been no mod action on the thread or reported posts for about 8 months.
    :)

Ok so which is the truth here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

To the ones who want AH to be fields of flowers and kittens, where exactly do you want general threads that don't fit into that? Politics Cafe where nobody is allowed to post anything?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I've a solution.

We create two armed groups. They meet in open battle.

Winner gets to decide what AH should be.

Weapons allowed: lightsaber, Staff of Magnus, The Holy Hand Grenade, BFG, Sheep Bomb, Fat Man, Bug Catching Net, Cluckshot, The Penetrator, Tuna Sword, Laptop Gun, Mr. Toots, The Old Worm Woman.

Or those who are vaccinated against those who are not, and unleash a virulent form of measles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Why not ban the offenders from the thread rather than lock a 4 year old thread with thousands of posts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Why not ban the offenders from the thread rather than lock a 4 year old thread with thousands of posts?

It's the epitome of lazy moderation. Happens too often all across boards where threads are closed far too quick because it's easier than do the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Is ah not supposed to be like chatting to your mates down the pub? Relaxed banter about a wide range of topics, current affairs and general stuff. That's why I read/post there and what makes it good to me. There's enough rules, the moderation is grand.

Is ah not supposed to be like chatting to your mates down the pub? Relaxed banter about a wide range of topics, current affairs and general stuff. That's why I read/post there and what makes it good to me. There's enough rules, the moderation is grand.

It should be. Relaxed being the operative word. Most thread start out well, with a good input from many posters, but usually around page 4 or 5 its the usual suspects soapboxing about the same sh*t.
    There's no discussion. Just people with their own entrenched views arguing with an "I'm right, youre wrong" mentality.

Id love if someone could write a script to graph the usernames posting in a thread, how often they post and when they entered a discussion.

I fully believe you'd get a good hodgepodge of users at the start, then the same usual suspects enter the thread and everyone else leaves.

Ok so which is the truth here?

Both. We're not contradicting each other?

• Advertisement

It's the epitome of lazy moderation. Happens too often all across boards where threads are closed far too quick because it's easier than do the above.

Or how about people discuss politics in the politics forum? Or is that the epitome of lazy posting?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement