Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mart Site Sold

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

Ya thought it should of started by now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

They are probably waiting for the new road to be completed first for access.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Security fencing being erected on Padmore & Barnes wall on Wolfe Tone street this morning. They'll be breaking though this very soon.

Plans by the cinema to use the old railway viaduct as a walkway leading down to McDonagh Junction, that should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

that would be pretty cool. having a bridge walkway across the road to mcdonagh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

Drawings here
    http://www.kilkenny.ie/iDocsWebDPSS/listFiles.aspx?catalog=planning&id=1576

Its the same company (IMC) as the existing cinema so I presume the old one will close down when new one is built

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

hi5 wrote: »
    Plans by the cinema to use the old railway viaduct as a walkway leading down to McDonagh Junction, that should be interesting.

Great idea.

miece16 wrote: »
    that would be pretty cool. having a bridge walkway across the road to mcdonagh

A bridge would be very cool but I suspect it will be more like steps down to the foot path and a pedestrian crossing to McDonagh Junction, you'd never know though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,225 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

It's great to finally see work being done there :)

hi5 wrote: »

According to the planning application this walkway is actually a long term aim of KKCoCo. The developers only assure that this long term aim will not be compromised by the cinema development. Ironically the only objector to the new cinema (afai can see) is MacDonagh Junction.

• Advertisement

imacman wrote: »
    Drawings here
    http://www.kilkenny.ie/iDocsWebDPSS/listFiles.aspx?catalog=planning&id=1576

Its the same company (IMC) as the existing cinema so I presume the old one will close down when new one is built

According to the plans, 10 screens tucked in behind Padmore & Barnes. No indication at all what is the plan for the rest of the site i.e. north of the CAS. No indication either what's happening to the hostel at Johns Green which is part of the overall site.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭FunkyJunky6969

Hi Peep's, any update on the new Cinema ? Have they started it yet ? :)

Hi Peep's, any update on the new Cinema ? Have they started it yet ? :)
    That whole area, Mart, Wolfe Tone, Greensbridge is one big building site at the moment. I imagine they'll start once the CAS road is complete.

citykat wrote: »
    That whole area, Mart, Wolfe Tone, Greensbridge is one big building site at the moment. I imagine they'll start once the CAS road is complete.

Nice one thanks for the reply and update. I'm really looking forward to having a brand new spanking Cinema in our great city. I hear it's going to be 10 screen ! . Hell yeah :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Any low down on what else might be going in there? 10 screen cinema is only going to take up a small section of this big site!
    I'd say whoever was backing the original K Mart plans must have lost millions...

road_high wrote: »
    Any low down on what else might be going in there? 10 screen cinema is only going to take up a small section of this big site!
    I'd say whoever was backing the original K Mart plans must have lost millions...

I'd say there's something planned but given how much grief they'd receive, they're holding off until the CAS and cinema are complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

Remember reading at the time, that they got planning that the entrance to the new cinema had to be from the new link road, but if they built the cinema before the road, they could have an entrance out onto the one way street cant think the name of that street, but once the new link road was complete they had to close that entrance and make new entrance on to new link road, so maybe there just waiting on link road to be completed, cost less money in the long run

I was trying to figure what they're doing with the Comer Rd down to the roundabout at the site, it looks like its going to be 2 roads split by the existing trees down the middle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Comerman

I saw that too but knowing the councilthey will probably knock all those trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Comerman wrote: »
    I saw that too but knowing the councilthey will probably knock all those trees.

Not allowed to knock them Thank god

• Advertisement

I heard rumours that Tesco, Penny's and Domino's Pizza want to go there. Has anyone else heard anything ? ✌

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

dzer2 wrote: »
    Not allowed to knock them Thank god

They thanked god that the hurricane a couple of years ago made the trees at the old swimming pool a public hazard. Not too many other trees met the same exacting criteria at the time. Could happen again.

I heard rumours that Tesco, Penny's and Domino's Pizza want to go there. Has anyone else heard anything ? ✌

Heard Penneys potentially...Tesco "rumours" have been doing the rounds for two decades and that site (no exaggeration).
    I'm surprised myself with how much land the relief road appears to be taking up. I guess it'll look different when finished though.

Heard Penneys potentially...Tesco "rumours" have been doing the rounds for two decades and that site (no exaggeration).
    I'm surprised myself with how much land the relief road appears to be taking up. I guess it'll look different when finished though.

Fingers crossed Tesco do come. I think we are the only county in Ireland with out one, and if Penny's go to a new bigger site I think it would be a good move. As the one in Market Cross is really cramped !

Fingers crossed Tesco do come. I think we are the only county in Ireland with out one, and if Penny's go to a new bigger site I think it would be a good move. As the one in Market Cross is really cramped !

Yes Kilkenny is....Leitrim with about 30k people (less than 1/3 of co. Kilkenny) can support 2 Tescos!
    I'd like to see Penneys remain in town though if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Tescos? yeah right. We'll probably get another Dunnes store instead.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Tescos? yeah right. We'll probably get another Dunnes store instead.

Ah now that would be re dick !

Ah now that would be re dick !

Considering that there were 3 Dunnes Stores her at one point. Its not that far fetched.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Considering that there were 3 Dunnes Stores her at one point. Its not that far fetched.

Haha I hope your wrong ! On another note Dealz would be a good addition to Kilkenny. Might see them coming in the future.

• Advertisement

Haha I hope your wrong !

So do I.

Advertisement