Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Carl Lewis - Drug Cheat!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did'nt Marion Jones husband have a little trouble in the "enhancement" area?

The US cover-up:-
    http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/DailyNews/sportsdoping_000807.html

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭MartinNutty

What do you think of the tone of this article Unison Lewis Article? (registration required).

I've never been a big Lewis fan, however we're not talking about the obvious no no performance enhancing substance, steriods, HGH etc. Are the media just tripping over themselves by finding a new whipping boy? Nothing like a juicy scandal to sell space.

As to the USOC's behavior in this matter, one word "Despicable". I could add hypocritical, immoral and a variety of others. Interesting that Lewis was willing to tep forward early and acknowledge the varracity of Exum's report while others were trying to tar Exum as a disgruntled former member of the USOC.

Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 UHcoug

how the heck can you call carl lewis a drug cheat!! apparently carl was tested positive for eph,not steroids.so can we call ato bolden a drug cheat also for his use of the exact same product.don't forget that carl lewis paved the way for track and field,he has brought serious money into the sport for managers and most importantly the athletes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭MartinNutty

Originally posted by UHcoug
    how the heck can you call carl lewis a drug cheat!! apparently carl was tested positive for eph,not steroids.so can we call ato bolden a drug cheat also for his use of the exact same product.don't forget that carl lewis paved the way for track and field,he has brought serious money into the sport for managers and most importantly the athletes

I believe that the susbstances found on Carl Lewis even in 1988 should have resulted in a ban from competition. By the letter of the law he should have been banned. USOC chose to cover up the issue.

The substances involved are not so serious as you point out, however Carl Lewis was never particularly liked in the USA. Consequently the media will do little to protect his reputation as they might for other sacred cows. Given the opportunity to villify him as a drug cheat in athletics - normally read steroid user - the media will be glad to ignore the actually substances involved. Carl Lewis continues to be his own worst enemy in handling the media by throwing out his usual flippant responses to the issue.

Carl Lewis never understood the necessity to project the required modesty in front of the American media which is the only acceptable public demeanor for a sports figures in the USA. Because he rubbed people the wrong way and his achievements, there is a certain delight been taken by the tearing down an athletic icon.

Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

On the drugs tested - for well rules is rules as was stated, as for Lewis' erm "thrusting" approach he was nicknamed Corporation Carl at one point!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 UHcoug

to say that carl lewis wasn't liked in the u.s is totally untrue.i have been there and trust me you would envy the man.i think the problem with the us was track never really took off like football/hoops and to introduce a sport like track will always be difficult.people from all over the us and the planet would arrive to the u of h to specifically meet carl.we had people from austrailia,scandenavia,japan,canada attend the campus or just arrive to houston to meet carl.even at track meets carl would be swamped with autograph seekers and the usual track people.now in europe he was huge.at least in houston he could walk alone with little hassles but in europe he would need security.
    now on the more serious note about the latest scenario the man openly admitted that yes he was caught with something-fair play to owning up carl..what did ben johnson like many other people do----i took nothing,i'm innocent,my supplements were contaminated and so on.it wasn't until 90/91 that johnson admitted that he took steroids since 83/84.
    lets not forget about ato bolden,did he get a ban..nope!! he got a warning and his case wasn't blown out of proportion like lewis' case.i find it hard that the public are making complete **** of a man who brought alot of wealth and professionalism to the sport.

Advertisement