Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ancestry truelines

• 22-03-2019 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭

Anyone tried out the trueloves feature? Got some nice leads & a couple of confirmations out of it, but it appears to be at odds with some of their other DNA links in other areas.

I've some people who I believe should show a much closer relationship than they currently do through DNA (see my other recent post). In trueloves, they show the correct relationship while in DNA connections they show a much further (almost unrelated) one.

I know which I want to, but not sure which to believe...

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

THRUlines (to give correct name) is only as good as the trees that it is based on, which is to say it can be good or bad. So by all means look at the hints but make sure to only accept that hint after thoroughly exploring the records yourself.

Example: A confirmed (paper and DNA) distant cousin of mine is not particularly good with sources. They have things in their tree which are based on indexes only (from before www.irishgenealogy.ie was around to show the actual register) and make leaps that are not sound. Some of these things have turned out to be right, when I researched them myself, but others are completely bogus.

Thrulines has suggested some matches from this cousin's tree, but for the wrong side of my family.

Obviously, it's just in beta right now, but I hope they add a way to indicate a potential ancestor is wrong, and therefore the ability to remove them for the list.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

I haven't found anything with this feature yet. The problem is that so few people have trees attached and those that are have so many errors. I have found some very good info thru 'shared matches' but precious little in comparison to the number of my DNA matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Anybody checked this recently?

I don’t have an Ancestry sub at the moment but the Beta version of Thrulines is still free / open to non-subscribers. I now have a few Thrulines relatives/ancestors showing on an Ancestry member’s tree (which I cannot see). Problem is that the dates are very far out. The link is through a maternal great grandmother (1859 – 1903) whose father was (1832 -1874). However, Thrulines goes back a few more generations on the member's tree and gives her great great grandfather’s life as (1832 – 1902), mentions his spouse with +/- same dates which clearly is very wrong - it would more appropriately show the births as c 1740. Ancestry says the tool is DNA based but I wonder why their algorithm is so far out?

I hope this tool is not going to go down the same route as ‘Ancestry Hints’!

Has anybody had any recent success(es) with Thrulines?

Edit – in fairness to Thrulines it has identified and perfectly matched cousins on my paternal side.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I actually think the hint system is very good now.

Thrulines - I see a problem with one distant cousin who has done research and can't adequately find her sources now. She and I share a number of DNA matches and are confident on paper of the connection but Thrulines persists in showing me what I consider to be weak research from her tree as ancestors.

It's only as good as the trees its sourcing and is still bedding in.

However, it has proved how some people are related to me nicely and brought up some potentials that I'm exploring.

What I don't like is that there's now way to indicate something is completely wrong and remove it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Earnest

I wish someone would say where these Thrulines appear. I've never seen them on my tree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Log onto your Ancestry account (it does not need to be ‘active’, you need only your profile).
    Click on the DNA tab
    Click on the ‘explore thrulines’ at the bottom of panel to open it
    This will show your ancestors by generation, male (blue) female (pink) panels.
    Scroll down through the generation until you see a green panel. This will state ‘potential ancestor’ and indicate a possible relationship. (See image ‘step1’.)
    Click on that panel and it will indicate the possible links through the generations. (See image step2)
    Click on ‘evaluate’ and it will show sources – e.g. Census, members trees, etc (data on RHS of step2 image)

The issue appears to be that the ‘clues’ are based heavily on member tree data; in my case several trees (possibly copied from each other) have identified an individual and wrongly placed him in the family tree (he most likely is a grandson, whereas he is listed as a grandfather). The error is compounded by including spouses. Interestingly Ancestry also has linked him to the US Census which adds proof to my knowledge that the individual is correct, as I know from shipping records that he was given as a relative for an immigrant nephew.

It is in Beta, it will improve and I’d be surprised if Ancestry did not have a specific user group established to give feedback – they already have a feedback comment facility on the Thrulines page.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Earnest

Log onto your Ancestry account (it does not need to be ‘active’, you need only your profile).
    Click on the DNA tab
    Click on the ‘explore thrulines’ at the bottom of panel to open it
    This will show your ancestors by generation, male (blue) female (pink) panels.
    Scroll down through the generation until you see a green panel. This will state ‘potential ancestor’ and indicate a possible relationship. (See image ‘step1’.)
    Click on that panel and it will indicate the possible links through the generations. (See image step2)
    Click on ‘evaluate’ and it will show sources – e.g. Census, members trees, etc (data on RHS of step2 image)

Thanks, pedroeibar1. I get "Learn how to get Thrulines" and then "You may not be seeing suggestions from ThruLines because there is not enough information in the linked family tree." I guess my family tree must be more comprehensive than other peoples' so they have no suggestions to make. But I have 4 people in a DNA circle, so maybe that will be converted into a thruline when DNA circles are abolished.

Advertisement