Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Photographer not giving digital

Options
  • 14-06-2019 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

Just wondering your thought paid €250 for sitting and 1 photo print.
    Learnt after the session the photographer doesnt give digital of the photo shoot and chargers €95 per 7 inch .
    Am I mad in thinking this is wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I don't know what standard operating procedure is with photographers, but from the outside it sounds insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

I suppose as with anything else, the onus is on you to know what you are getting for your money before you solicit a service.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Sounds like you got what you paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

This is normal practice

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It can be normal practice for them not to give digital copies alright, but as another poster has said, the onus is on you to check before you engage their services.

Does the photographer have a website? If they do, it might be worth checking to see if they mention it on the website. If they don't categorically state that they don't give the digital copies it "might" help your argument. But I'd say the ship has sailed on this one unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭macchoille

It depends on the photographer really. Some will give and some won’t (so they can charge for reprints etc).

Those who do give you a digital file usually only give you a jpg file (file used for the picture printed). You’re unlikely to get the original raw file (like a negative) for free, but if I’d to pay extra for files I’d look for the jpg and the raw files.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Check through their terms and conditions.
    Did you sign anything ??

It’s common enough for photographers to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Did you agree in advance to pay for the sitting and one print? If so, then that's what you got.

Seems a bit nasty to me tbh but there you go. We've always made sure that any pro photos we've had done come in digital form (I think our last family photos were about £150 and we got a disk with 20 edited images).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

It's pretty standard for a professional photographer to retain copyright to their work. In that case they retain the original images (film or digital). This can also include the right to reuse those images.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

What did you agree to for the fee that you paid? I would expect the ohotographer yo detail what you get for the fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Not mad. Just mistaken. The photographer owns the photos. You paid for their time, and a copy of an image.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

You knew it was €250 for a sitting with 1 print before hand. And are not happy to have to pay for further prints? Did you not ask how much extra prints were after the first one was? Or just assume you can get any amount of prints and their digital work for no extra cost?

The photographer owns the copyright unless you agreed otherwise, in writing, beforehand. Now in saying this, while the photographer owns copyright they can do nothing with the images without your permission.
    Somewhat before my time but I do not think that you got negatives of professional shoots, back in the day, either.

I knew that my wedding photographer was leaving the country soon after my wedding so that was one of the conversations we had, with her. She was also shuttering the photography business.

She was very reasonable with it, but only because she was closing the business. We were meant to get digital files matching the wedding book only and at photo quality but ended up getting all the day's images taken, In RAW format

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dav010 wrote: »
    Sounds like you got what you paid for.
    I would have to hear/see what they were told they were getting. Does sound that way but would be interested to see the actual info/site/wording.

If I was a photographer I would make it absolutely clear this is the case, and wonder if they did. I would also wonder if they had complaints in the past and did nothing to clear it up -might be no legal comeback but just shows they are shady/dodgy and knowingly not informing people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Hi,the site has no mention of cost of addition prints.
    It doesnt mention digital either.
    The sitting and 1 photo was a gift voucher.Bought by a family member.

I dont think the photographer made things clear.I think the fact the price list was given after and not provided before hand shows a under handed way of dealing with customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Price list here.
    Given after the photo shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi cathy

you are of course entitled to your opinion.

you are not entitled to anything that wasn't pre-agreed upon.
    The sitting and 1 photo was a gift voucher.

the initial sitting and photo quotes given by photographers are often at cost, or even a loss leader to get you in, take the photos and then attempt to upsell.

Its not a unique or unusual situation. if you stick to your guns and get your sitting and one photo, you get what you paid for, and hence it is perfectly legal.

if you think it is sharp business practices, then again i would not disagree. But you are not 'entitled' to anything and an assumption you would get the digital image is just that - your assumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

cathy01 wrote: »

I dont think the photographer made things clear.I think the fact the price list was given after and not provided before hand shows a under handed way of dealing with customers.

You got what you paid for, a sitting and 1 picture. The price list after was to see if you want to buy more images, the upsell, very few photographers will release the digital image as then they can't sell any pictures if the person has a digital copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

What you were entitled to was one sitting with one photo.
    That’s what your family member paid for.
    I can’t understand why you assumed that you were entitled to extra things too?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Not really, if he did'nt say you would get a digital copy then you would expect to pay for it.. Price is crazy alright but then thats up to you to research....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,410 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Would a simple solution not be to scan the image? Or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Nothing underhand about this. You got what was agreed on when your family member bought the deal. "The sitting and 1 photo was a gift voucher". Why did you assume you would be receiving anything other than this at no extra cost?
    That's like somebody getting a voucher for an oil and filter change in a deal and being disappointed not to have tyres and brake pads changed included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

o1s1n wrote: »
    Possibly because the copyright of the image rests with the photographer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

o1s1n wrote: »

Are you mad man and ruin the visage :), only joking but like yep twud be they way to go.. MMm kinda giving out about nothing really you still didnt have to pay anything so at least now you know what is inc in the pricing

• Registered Users Posts: 34,410 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Possibly because the copyright of the image rests with the photographer.

It's a 'digital homage' to the original artist, a derivative piece of it's own. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

GBX wrote: »
    Why did you assume you would be receiving anything other than this at no extra cost?
    I guess because they thought it is of no extra cost to the photographer, but obviously in a way it is as they could be making more money from it.
    GBX wrote: »
    That's like somebody getting a voucher for an oil and filter change in a deal and being disappointed not to have tyres and brake pads changed included.
    In some peoples mind it would be like asking for the box off the new filter, thinking it is of no further use to the garage and no reason not to hand it out free. But there is value in the photographer holding onto the photos.

As I said before I would only consider it underhanded if the photographer has been repeatedly asked for digital copies after the sessions and has made zero effort to clearly inform people beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

rubadub wrote: »
    I guess because they thought it is of no extra cost to the photographer, but obviously in a way it is as they could be making more money from it.
    While the actual additional print is probably fairly cheap for the photographer, you need to see his whole calculation, and how a customer perceives it.
    He needs to earn x € on average to earn from a shoot, to keep his business going. If he is giving out his digital files, he has to charge x € for the shoot, and customers will probably complain how expensive he is.
    If he is not giving out his digital files, then he can charge a € for the shoot and b € on average for the additional prints (that's what's been done in the OP's case), with a + b = x €. So if the OP would have gone to a photographer who gives out digital files, he would have been probably on here, complaining how much the charges are for a simple pressing of a button on a simple camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Before the digital age, a photographer wouldn't have given away their film role or negatives. You would have just got the prints.
    Digital files are the same thing, the source material that the photographer owns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

The photographer obviously did a great job - as you like the image so much you’re looking for extra prints... yet you think they should now value their work at zero so you can go off to crappysnaps.com with their file and damage their reputation with low quality badly printed photos?

When you get a prescription from your doctor, do you demand free repeat prescriptions ad infinitum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

You are not entitled to the digital image.
    having said that, the photographer is using an old dates business model. Most customers want the digital image and s/he could have provided the jpeg image if the print.

He choose not to do so, as was his right.
    Next time, choose a more accommodating photographer.

Advertisement