Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Train stopped at Portlaoise. Waiting for replacement buses to Dublin.

Options
  • 24-11-2018 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭

Train halted at Portlaoise - "incident on the line ahead" - everyone ordered off. About 300 of us trying to get on three buses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Someone had ended their life in front of the 6am train from Waterford to Dublin. Emergency services are there at the moment. Irish Rail updating people via Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Person struck by 06.00 from Waterford near Sallins. Should be resuming soon its left the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Samsgirl wrote: »
    Someone had ended their life in front of the 6am train from Waterford to Dublin. Emergency services are there at the moment. Irish Rail updating people via Twitter.
    Thanks - didn't realise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

[HTML][/HTML]
    Samsgirl wrote: »

100+ replies to Irish Rail tweets and I've only seen one mention the word "suicide". Otherwise full of euphemisms and inconsiderate people only concerned about getting their money back. Despite Darkness In The Light, Pieta House etc we still seem to have a long way to go in acknowledging and discussing suicide. That location between Newbridge and Sallins is a common spot. RIP to the person who died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

And thoughts to the driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

100+ replies to Irish Rail tweets and I've only seen one mention the word "suicide". Otherwise full of euphemisms and inconsiderate people only concerned about getting their money back. Despite Darkness In The Light, Pieta House etc we still seem to have a long way to go in acknowledging and discussing suicide. That location between Newbridge and Sallins is a common spot. RIP to the person who died.

While there are a lot of people who call the blues depression and the words a bit overused, I think we still have the opposite problem. Despite everything. The stigma and ignorance around suicide is still there "it's selfish" (often the person thinks they're doing the people around them a favor, so it's quite the opposite of selfish).
    You will still hear "ah here tell her to just pull the finger out" on radio shows all the time. My personal hall of fame of ignorance is: "we all have problems". Depression is serious when it stops you doing your regular busienss, socializing, going to work etc. This is more than just your average problems. It's crippling, it's like fighting a war with your own instincts. YOu do want to get on with it, you try, but you fail.

As above I always feel sorry for the driver at times like this. I never considered this as a method because, like some of the other methods, it traumatizes people around you who witness it or discover you.

Maybe we should show those tweets to people who are suicidal. Tell them the world is going to keep spinning if you go or stay, a % of humanity will be douchebags if you go or stay, you may as well stay and try as hard as you can to make a success of it, you will definitely die eventually.

But even the 'stay and try so you are sure first' argument does not always do it, because often they have already tried, and think they can't get anywhere, that life is going to be constant pain no matter what they do and the choice is between that pain and whatever comes next, which has to be better, either way. That's the mindset.
    My advice for talking to anyone suicidal is this: Nobody who has ever committed suicide wanted to die. Even when you've totally and completely given up and are resigned to it, have a plan and are ready to do it, there is a part of you that wants to go on, that wishes you could, you just can't face it because you think it will be all constant barrage of pain. If you can offer the person any serious hope, it may work. Nobody wants to go deep down.

Discard myths like "people who talk about it don't do it", they may not care if people know, they may be subconsciously or consciously testing to see if anyone cares enough (to get an idea if staying and trying has any odds of success, ie if nobody cares enough about you to be horrified by you mentioning it and be concerned, what would be the point staying). Many people do 'ideation' which means think about it in a dark time, that's quite common, and it leads many without severe depression to imagine they've gone thru suicidal too - you havn't really felt what people who do it feel unless it was a constant recurring thought over time, not a desperate measure that entered your mind for a short period in a really bad situation.

You will also be able to gague how close they are, how serious things are, by asking if they'd thought about the how. If they're at the stage of picking a method - it's quite serious esp if they show evidence of having given it a lot of thought.

Anyone recovering from mental illness should lock down all their social media and stop using it, it shows absurd personal propaganda clipped from little bits of peoples lives that do no reflect the real context and 3D life of the person, it makes it look like some people live with no challenges or problems, and that's before the effect of the political stuff you can get on it, it's mental health poison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

[HTML][/HTML]

Awful thing to do to a driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

This may not be PC; I don't have sympathy in this situation, it screws up the entire rail schedule, inconveniences thousands of people, how many people missed flights (at huge financial cost) and ruined weekends plans all because one person decided to end it all. In this instance I would not seek a refund from Irish Rail as it is not their fault I believe.

I have the most sympathy for the driver and the emergency services who had to deal with the no-doubt gruesome aftermath. In this instance it is a very selfish thing to do, these incidents should be looked at with an aim to prevent access to the Railway to prevent it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

theguzman wrote: »
    This may not be PC;

dear dear. putting in that disclaimer does nothing to get you out of whatever it is you are trying to avoid by putting it in.
    I don't have sympathy in this situation, it screws up the entire rail schedule, inconveniences thousands of people, how many people missed flights (at huge financial cost) and ruined weekends plans all because one person decided to end it all. In this instance I would not seek a refund from Irish Rail as it is not their fault I believe.

quite frankly, boo hoo, get over it. a family has lost a relative. someone who probably saw no other way out of their suffering, very unfortunate for the family, person involved and driver and emergency services.
    financial cost, a weekend ruined, a flight that can be re-booked if it's really that important, or a rail schedule which will recover are unfortunate but quite frankly non-issues.
    I have the most sympathy for the driver and the emergency services who had to deal with the no-doubt gruesome aftermath. In this instance it is a very selfish thing to do, these incidents should be looked at with an aim to prevent access to the Railway to prevent it happening.

no, it is not a selfish thing to do, because for something to be selfish, one must do something being fully aware of the consiquences to the full, and deliberately not care about the effects, or deliberately engage in an act to cause effects to others. there is no evidence what soever to show any of these to be the case in this case.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

This may not be PC; I don't have sympathy in this situation, it screws up the entire rail schedule, inconveniences thousands of people, how many people missed flights (at huge financial cost) and ruined weekends plans all because one person decided to end it all. In this instance I would not seek a refund from Irish Rail as it is not their fault I believe.

That's physically impossible (sealing the railway), and cannot be done, esp at the slots where the train would be at high speed.

I agree it's horrific for the driver and I hope they have a protocol in place where the driver is offered help and as much time off as they want (or if it happens a second time, fully paid up retirement). If they don't they should.

Your problem is you are trying to ascribe logic and rationality to someone who IS. NOT. RATIONAL. Its like blaming someone because their immune system rejected a kidney you donated to them.

You are blaming them for something they don't have full control over.
    What do you imagine mental illness IS ffsake people? Do you think depression or an anxiety disorder or being bi polar or something is just being slightly sadder than you are if you miss Emmerdale? It's not, it means your psychology or your actual physical brain are not wired up properly and need to be rewired.

To provide an easy to understand example. People who have body image disorders (which are really just a way of another issue, an emotional psychological issue manifests than a thing in itself) literally SEE imperfections that DO. NOT. EXIST. They see spots and blemishes, they see they are skinny when they are long since sailed beyond ripped muscular and went to disproportionate and over the top. They see their legs as fat when they're not, they hallucinate literally things that are not there.
    People with mental illness will not be thinking the same way you and me are thinking when it comes to decision making. Everything will be seen through a catastrophic lens. It's really hard to describe if you have not experienced it.

I would not have given a rats ass if mine had made some total strangers late, who were, as most people are, probably assholes anyway, so who cares would have been my attitude. I would have felt bad for the driver which is why I didn't do it, but the fact that I had sympathy for the driver and thus avoided that tactic does not make me in some how morally superior to the person who died today, they may have had a totally different mindset to me. I'd be willing to bet they didn't even think about the driver, or convinced themselves he'd not see much, or since it's a stranger would not be bothered.

People will say "try other methods", oh? like what?

Cutting your wrists open? Do you know what 5L of blood looks like on the floor or a pavement? Do you imagine that to be LESS horrific when it's set upon by human eyes than a sudden brief impact with a body on a train cab or even the person going under the train and a spray of blood? Your body turns shock white too, and often the persons eyes are open.

Hanging? When doing an RA job in UCD and we prevented a suicide mid attempt one night I asked our admin woman if there had ever been a successful one. "Thankfully just one" she told me, the person hung themselves on the door bracket up on the top corner. She refused to tell me what room because she didn't want it getting around.
    "is that room open for people?"
    "yes".

I stared into the corner that night (this coming from someone who had been in the past and was again after that suicidal - it didn't chill me any less) at the door of my room wondering did it all end for someone here, did they have regrets or change their mind and it was too late, what were their last thoughts? I was completely thrown by it and odds are it wasn't my room, if I'd actually found a person on one of those brackets during a well being check I'd never have been able to forget it.

Pills? everyone thinks this is the easy one, BUT:
    1. The stuff that will 100% get you for sure a quick death in your sleep are all controlled drugs hard to find
    2. Stuff that you can get a large quantity of (paracetamol say) can be easily pumped from your stomach by A&E staff and there are antidotes, and you are (in the above case) far more likley to just wake up in the emergency room with severe organ damage than slip peacefully away in your sleep.

Suicide by cop? pffff maybe in the US , good luck getting an armed Garda officer to shoot you, you'd have to literally start shooting at him or random members of the public first.

Shoot yourself? You could, but getting a gun license in Ireland is really much harder and you have to have a convo with the local super first, and if he has the slightest inkling you're sick he can veto it. He may even ask to see your records anyway

I won't go into the method I did try because it was rather involved and the mods deleted it here once before because I think they were worried it was so good someone might try to copy it, but it's not easy even when you decide to do it.

I often think people say ' no pc' as some kind of ironic virtue signal. Being ignorant of how something works and processing it with your emotions instead of your brain is not cool or edgy, it's foolish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I don’t know what correct policy should be in these situations but I have been on a train in the UK on a couple of instances where the announcer will specify the reason, however shocking, for an unscheduled interruption. Something like “incident with person on the track “or along those lines. Can see why they’d chose to do this.

Horrible for all concerned though, terrible that things in a life have to come to this.

dear dear. putting in that disclaimer does nothing to get you out of whatever it is you are trying to avoid by putting it in.

quite frankly, boo hoo, get over it. a family has lost a relative. someone who probably saw no other way out of their suffering, very unfortunate for the family, person involved and driver and emergency services.
    financial cost, a weekend ruined, a flight that can be re-booked if it's really that important, or a rail schedule which will recover are unfortunate but quite frankly non-issues.

no, it is not a selfish thing to do, because for something to be selfish, one must do something being fully aware of the consiquences to the full, and deliberately not care about the effects, or deliberately engage in an act to cause effects to others. there is no evidence what soever to show any of these to be the case in this case.

Perhaps those a-holes on twitter could occupy their time by , just for a few minutes, taking their noses out of their phones, putting them on silent, closing their eyes and thinking really hard about how lucky they are they've never felt that kind of pain where they wanted to do something like that, appreciate what they have, or that they were able to escape it if they did have it, thinking about what the family will go through, and how yours wont have to go through that. Thinking about what that poor driver saw, and maybe file that away for the next time they enter their pay talks.

Social media type first --- think LATER that's our world now...it's f----g depressing, there is no thinking or analysis BEFORE typing, the brain farts just sail out of their minds and down into the phone without a filter now, people used to have a few hours of thoughts before they could say something out loud to a group of people they knew, and they might think better of it, now no filter at all, and moronsarus is open for business 24/7 catering to your every neurosis and every prejudice and irrational emotional impulse at the expense of your brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I don’t know what correct policy should be in these situations but I have been on a train in the UK on a couple of instances where the announcer will specify the reason, however shocking, for an unscheduled interruption. Something like “incident with person on the track “or along those lines. Can see why they’d chose to do this.

Horrible for all concerned though, terrible that things in a life have to come to this.

I agree IE using the term "incident" irritates passengers more and they should either say a person has been struck by a train or put it as you say.

If people know whay is going on they are more forgiving and will sit it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

You don't have sympathy for someone so ill that they felt that being hit by a train was preferable to remaining alive?

Maybe, rather than prefacing your stupid, ignorant thoughts with a "this may not be PC" disclaimer, you could try actually thinking instead. Or would engaging your brain be 'too PC'?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Rip to the person involved and thoughts also to their family and to the emergency services who have to deal with the aftermath are the situation which by all reports is a difficult situation.

Advertisement