Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Limerick to Birdhill

• 12-11-2018 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭

I could be moving to Limerick for a job, I'll be travelling back from Wexford some weekends and I was wondering is there any public transport that will go from Limerick to Birdhill/Killaloe on a Sunday evening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

There's a train to Birdhill at 5:20pm (last train though, and I've no idea how reliable that service is)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Qrt

Rulmeq wrote: »
    There's a train to Birdhill at 5:20pm (last train though, and I've no idea how reliable that service is)

Considering there’s only two trains per direction per day (if even) I’d like to think it’d be very bleedin’ reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Kenneally's and Bus Éireann offer buses to Birdhill.

Do note that Wexford town to Birdhill takes 4-7 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭dennyk

Birdhill's not too bad, the 735 bus to Nenagh stops there and runs every couple hours. Last one leaves Limerick around 21:45 on Sunday I believe. The 72 to Athlone also runs a similar route to Birdhill, but only a few times a day.

Killaloe/Ballina's a bit harder, though; there's the 323 and the 345, but they only make a few trips a day and neither runs on Sundays. If you really have to get all the way to Killaloe, best bet's going to be the bus to Birdhill and arrange a taxi from there. Don't try to walk; the R494 is absolutely not safe for pedestrians even during the day, much less in the dark.

Any chance of you getting a car? It's a really easy commute via the M7 if you could manage it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Victor wrote: »
    Kenneally's and Bus Éireann offer buses to Birdhill.

Do note that Wexford town to Birdhill takes 4-7 hours.

I'd be going to Dub first and then down to the part of Wex that nobody knows exists ;). Or possibly to Carlow and then into the wild interior of Wex.

• Advertisement

dennyk wrote: »
    Birdhill's not too bad, the 735 bus to Nenagh stops there and runs every couple hours. Last one leaves Limerick around 21:45 on Sunday I believe. The 72 to Athlone also runs a similar route to Birdhill, but only a few times a day.

Killaloe/Ballina's a bit harder, though; there's the 323 and the 345, but they only make a few trips a day and neither runs on Sundays. If you really have to get all the way to Killaloe, best bet's going to be the bus to Birdhill and arrange a taxi from there. Don't try to walk; the R494 is absolutely not safe for pedestrians even during the day, much less in the dark.

Any chance of you getting a car? It's a really easy commute via the M7 if you could manage it...

If I make a go of it I should be able to get a car eventually, until then I think I'm going to go from Carlow to Kildare by rail and then by bus to Birdhill. I can get a lift from Birdhill then.

Out of curiosity, if you're moving to Limerick and traveling to/from Wexford, how do Birdhill or Killaloe come into it? Plenty of bus options between Limerick and Dublin, and a few to Portlaoise or whatnot that might be a bit shorter to the wilds of Wexford, if that would be easier for you.

dennyk wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, if you're moving to Limerick and traveling to/from Wexford, how do Birdhill or Killaloe come into it? Plenty of bus options between Limerick and Dublin, and a few to Portlaoise or whatnot that might be a bit shorter to the wilds of Wexford, if that would be easier for you.

I'd be living in Killaloe, but taking the Limerick bus route to get there, travelling back to Wexford then the odd weekend.

Seanachai wrote: »
    I'd be living in Killaloe, but taking the Limerick bus route to get there, travelling back to Wexford then the odd weekend.

Commuting from Killaloe to Limerick, you mean? That's gonna be tricky even on the weekdays; the bus service out this way is very limited. The earliest bus leaves Killaloe at 7:45 and gets to the north city centre around 8:45; if your job is elsewhere, like down in Raheen or something, you might make it in by 10 if you're lucky. Going home, the last bus heading this way leaves from the main Limerick bus station at 17:30; miss that and you'll be spending the night there, as there's no other buses until the next morning. You probably want to seriously think about a car if you're going to live out here; it's a nice short simple commute via car, but not so much via bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Seanachai wrote: »
    I'd be going to Dub first and then down to the part of Wex that nobody knows exists ;). Or possibly to Carlow and then into the wild interior of Wex.

Would you not be better trying to get to Waterford and take the bus to limerick from there?

• Advertisement
Advertisement