Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heavy traffic vs "smart" drivers

Options
  • 07-10-2009 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi there

As I'm driving a lot around the country I see a lot of behaviour on the roads.
    I want to share sth. Lets take dunkettle interchange in Cork as an example, Its a big roundabout with many lanes. When You're approaching it coming from Wexford there is single exit lane which splits in three as You go forward.
    In the morning and evening traffic is heavy so theres a queue on that mentioned exit lane. As I said that lane split to three: very right to go to Dublin and straight, middle to go straight or turn left and very left lane just to turn left to go through Jack Lynch Tunnel. Usually as queue is long just middle and left lane are occupied as most of cars want to pass tunnel. Queue is long everybody is moving slowly but some people are "smart" and they can't wait like everybody else, so they use very right lane because its empty and then as approaching lights on roundabout sneaking in between cars on middle lane to turn left. Now, in fairness how annoying is that? And I know that happens a lot all over the country. Please don't try to explain that maybe somebody didn't know , going through 1st time... believe me I know and they know exactly where they're going , sometimes I see in mirror somebody behind me leaving the lane, passing 10-15 cars and then counting on kind driver to let him in. I know You've seen it a lot as well. What do You think we (drivers) can do about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

You're right, happens everywhere at all the busy roundbouts, can think of several here in Kilkenny. I find it infuriating too. But what can you do, nothing illegal about it as far as I know. To me the drivers that do this are basically saying to me "fcuk you, my journey is far more important than yours"
    Thing is, it exacerbates the problem for those with the manners to wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

What happens more than that on Dunkettle is that people go in the right hand lane to go to Dublin, but instead of going to Dublin, go round the whole roundabout and go down the Tunnel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭marious

I'd say only if they won't manage to sneak in then they have no other choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

What happens more than that on Dunkettle is that people go in the right hand lane to go to Dublin, but instead of going to Dublin, go round the whole roundabout and go down the Tunnel.

Hmmm.... the maneuver in the OP is asking for an accident (and illegal?) whereas going around the roundabout is neither dangerous nor illegal. Annoying though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

What is more annoying than idiots skipping the queue like that, is the even bigger idiots sitting in a daydream who let them in!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Another "smart" one is when drivers exit off a congested M-way/dual carriageway and then come back on again to skip ahead. Known as "junction hopping". Sometimes it is actually quicker to junction hop than to stay on the mainline. It's also legal. But it results in unnecessary merging and more holdups. Its like a self perpetuating process - drivers junction hop to skip a queue but by doing so, make the queue worse, encouraging more hopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

A few years ago there was a Bus Eireann bus from Midleton to Cork who consistently did this at Tivoli every single morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭marious

paddyland wrote: »
    What is more annoying than idiots skipping the queue like that, is the even bigger idiots sitting in a daydream who let them in!!!

Its true I'm always trying to stay close to car in front of me and keep looking in the mirror but can't really expect that from all the drivers... I would bet that most of them are not aware whats going on, some of them think they're kind...
    some of them don't give a s..t ... and queue at the back growing up :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

or whats just as bad is in heavy traffic people entering a motorway and driving in the merging lane literally right up until the last second where it becomes hard shoulder depending on someone to let them in

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

triple-M wrote: »
    or whats just as bad is in heavy traffic people entering a motorway and driving in the merging lane literally right up until the last second where it becomes hard shoulder depending on someone to let them in

Don't forget the fact that these are usually the type that try to merge at 40kmph or less. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I USE THE ALL-THE -WAY ROUND TECHNIQUE IN mALLOW...whY? WELL THE LANES ARE FRANKLY DAFT... in the case of north and south traffic the two main flows of traffic are confined to one lane and the minor flow gets a lane to itself....were the two main flows to have a lane each it would help the flow without hindering the minor flow unduly.

This lack of proper planning at Irish junctions is evident all over the country...along with unco-ordinated traffic lights and signalised roundabouts et al.....AMATEUR HOUR...see how the Brits do it much more efficently with a much heavier traffic flow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

That roundabout is one of the main causes of the semi-permanent traffic jam at Mallow you get going Limerick-Cork (didn't seem to be an issue just a couple years ago, but it worse each time now).

I have bad memories of that roundabout at Mallow after the time the town centre flooded and all traffic getting across the river had to use the main road. The guards were only allowing one arm of the roundabout at a time onto it - and giving the Killarney/Mallow arms too much priority. I think it took two hours to reach the roundabout.

Advertisement