Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When to use dipped headlights?

Options
  • 06-10-2009 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi there

Was wondering, as I'm travelling a lot across the country, on what bases people behind a wheel are making decision when to use dipped headlights and when not?
    I've been driving today and made couple of pictures:

this is haw You can see (or can't see) car incoming from opposite direction:
    06102009004.jpg

this is what everybody without heated mirrors see in one:

06102009.jpg

In these particular conditions more less 40% of drivers don't have any lights and further 20% just side lights. I'm still dazzled by this people intelligence...
    They shouting away about deaths on the roads and catching people for drink driving and speeding, maybe we should start from basics?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭marious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Moved to C&T.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Can we see some more pictures of Amanda Braun instead? :D

To answer your question, I always use dipped lights if there is any traffic within view, i.e. there is a risk my full beams will catch their mirror or there is oncoming traffic.

I rarely use full beams unless I'm in the countryside and there are no other cars within view

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i use my dipped lights all day, rain, wind or sun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

kceire wrote: »

Same! I automatically put them on when I get into the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Same! I automatically put them on when I get into the car.

Me 3! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

When the engine is on and it's not dark; or I'm in a built up area or there's oncoming traffic or I'm behind another vehicle or I can see pedestrians coming towards me and it is dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭highdef

As above :)

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

And fog lights all the time too, it would appear.
    Know where the off switch is? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

It is compulsory to drive, day or night, with dipped heads on in Sweden. In order to increase visibility in weather like we had yesterday I always drive with dipped headlights on. I rarely use fulls as I do very little country driving where I am not in traffic.
    As far as I know these are the rules:-
    Use dipped headlights during lighting up time when traffic is approaching you and when you are behind a car going in the same direction. Fulls can be used on an empty road.
    Using the lights during the day, especially in winter would increase visiblilty and promote safety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭highdef

a_ominous wrote: »
    And fog lights all the time too, it would appear.
    Know where the off switch is? :mad:

Good point about the fog lights there......I missed that!!! Turn them off kceire!!! They do no good....except in fog. Nothing worse than some gob****e coming towards you on a wet night with their low to the ground fog lights creating massive amounts of reflection due to their proximity to the ground. And even when not wet, some cars fog lights are akin to full beams!!!
    They're not cool.....just like drink driving and using a hand held phone in the car.....both very frowned upon these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Didnt the government promote something like this a few years ago,, i think it might have been Seamus Brennan but im not sure, saying to leave the lights on all day cause it will help to take accidents down and only costs a few cent.

Apparently from Feb 2011 onwards all new cars and small vans will be required to be manufactured with daytime running lights and larger trucks and buses will be required to do so from August 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Bards

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Me 3! :)

me 4.. also referred to as Daylight Running Lights.

Better to be seen than not seen, still didn't stop some eejit in a van driving into me though a couple of years back

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Generally all the time in my van; always all the time in my car. Fiat's turn the lights off with the engine, Citroen don't... so I can't forget to turn them on in the Fiat car but the van is a different story!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭chewed

If you drive a silver car (like I do) then leaving the lights on all the time is safer as the colour of the car usually blends in to the colour of Irish grey skies.

Advertisement