Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Challenge

Options
  • 05-10-2009 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭

I had a conversation over lunch last week about how quickly someone could get around the entire Irish Rail network. It seems the existing record stands at about six and a half days. I think it can be done in much less (assuming all timetabled connections are made).

So, how quickly do you think you can do it?

Rules

1. You must schedule your journey to cover the entire Irish Rail network that is in use for scheduled passenger services. So freight lines, sidings, depots, goods yards, etc. need not be travelled.

2. You must schedule trips for:
    Dundalk-border
    Limerick Direct Curve
    Liffey Line
    Docklands Station
    Howth Branch
    Cork Suburban

3. You do not have to schedule trips for:
    Clonsilla-Pace
    Ennis-Athenry
    Newcomen Curve
    Luas or any other non-Irish Rail only line.

4. For the following, you do not have to visit all sections, but you must use all the approach lines,
    a. Connolly - Loopline platforms 5-7 v main station platforms 1-4. Any through service or a southbound terminating service and a through / southbound commencing service is enough

b. Heuston - platforms 1-5 v platforms 6-8. Any service arriving or departing from any platform is enough.

c. Cork - platform 1-3 v platforms 4-5. Any through service or a southbound terminating service and a through / "southbound" commencing service is enough

d. Limerick Junction - main v Limerick platforms. You need not use all the platforms, but you must use the entire Cork-Heuston and Limerick-Waterford lines and the Limerick Direct Curve.

5. Trips via on-time scheduled services only.

6. You can start and end anywhere.

7. The timetables on the Printed Timetables section of the Irish Rail website are to be use http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/printed_timetables.asp Arrival times are deemed to be the same as departure times unless specifically stated differently.

8. You need to use all lines (one or more tracks), you do not need to use all tracks (track = rails + sleepers + ballast).

9. You can only travel by train, except Connolly-Heuston.

10. Assume Malahide Viaduct is fixed and all services resume.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

You'll need to wait til the viaduct in Malahide is fixed first....
    There's a lower bound on your time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Yeah, forgot about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Reminds me of Uni maths - travelling salesman problem!

Edit: or maybe the seven bridges of Konigsberg?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Victor wrote: »
    It seems the existing record stands at about six and a half days.

I cannot think of any worse way of spending a week, short of heading for Guantanamo Bay. Has someone seriously done this? Even the guys on IRN would consider this ridiculously nerdy... (well, maybe not all of them)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

loyatemu wrote: »
    I cannot think of any worse way of spending a week, short of heading for Guantanamo Bay. Has someone seriously done this? Even the guys on IRN would consider this ridiculously nerdy... (well, maybe not all of them)

Its a good way to get in the papers if nothing else (see the lads that brought Dublin Bikes bikes out of the country and back in again in the 24 hour return window).

The Newcomen Curve has been used by scheduled services in the not too distant past I thought - was there one Cork-Connolly service on weekends or something? Obviously if its not in use for anything, you get to avoid the entire Park tunnel line and associated branches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

I had a conversation over lunch last week about how quickly someone could get around the entire Irish Rail network.

Next time choose your lunch dates more carefully, because whoever engaged in that conversation should have had the plate smashed over their head.

MYOB wrote: »
    The Newcomen Curve has been used by scheduled services in the not too distant past I thought - was there one Cork-Connolly service on weekends or something?

there was a morning Gorey-Sligo service that apparently used it - it was split into seperate services in the last timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

I have come up with a route. Starting in Cobh, and finishing in Newry. Might go all the way to Derry.

I think what I have is the shortest way of doing it, but the schedule is throwing it out a little, where it might be best to take a longer way (more duplication) to get the time down.

One more rule added: you can only travel by train, except Connolly-Heuston.
    Colm R wrote: »
    I think what I have is the shortest way of doing it, but the schedule is throwing it out a little, where it might be best to take a longer way (more duplication) to get the time down.
    Possibly.

Hint: If you are doing a long (timewise, including connection time) leg, try to only do it once.
    DWCommuter wrote: »
    Next time choose your lunch dates more carefully, because whoever engaged in that conversation should have had the plate smashed over their head.
    Oh, come on, nerds have to eat.

It was actually a useful exercise as it pointed out a few "broken" connections, e.g. the 1805 Galway-Dublin reaches Athlone at 1910, whereas the 1745 Heuston-Westport leaves Athlone at 1909. While this means that only the nearside platform needs to be used, it means that the last train from Galway to Roscommon is the 1505. I realise that there is probably a later bus service, but having the oppurtunity of taking the train would be useful to many. All it needs is for one or other train to be moved by 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

It was actually a useful exercise as it pointed out a few "broken" connections, e.g. the 1805 Galway-Dublin reaches Athlone at 1910, whereas the 1745 Heuston-Westport leaves Athlone at 1909. While this means that only the nearside platform needs to be used, it means that the last train from Galway to Roscommon is the 1505. I realise that there is probably a later bus service, but having the oppurtunity of taking the train would be useful to many. All it needs is for one or other train to be moved by 5 minutes.

There is actually a connection Victor, although how official it is I don't know.

The Westport train has to wait for the Galway train to arrive - otherwise they would crash on the Shannon bridge as it is single track!!!

The Galway train arrives at 1910 and the Westport train departs at 1911. Therefore the connection is doable but you would have to run like the wind through the subway!

The times in the public timetable are the arrival times and not the departure times. This is relevant on single track routes where trains wait to cross with other trains at passing loops in stations.

The problem is that the 1805 crosses the 1650 ex-Dublin at Woodlawn and waits for it to pass there - so it cannot get to Athlone earlier.

• Advertisement

Six and a half days?????

I've no idea where that comes from - it can easily be done in four days as follows:

DAY 1:
    Newry 07:39 Connolly 09:05

Connolly 09:25 Howth 09:49

Howth 09:53 Connolly 10:17

Connolly 11:05 Sligo 14:10

Sligo 15:00 Maynooth 17:30

Maynooth 18:18 Clonsilla 18:33

Clonsilla 18:46 Docklands 19:07

Docklands 19:20 Clonsilla 19:40

Clonsilla 19:52 Connolly 20:20

Heuston 21:00 Cork 23:55

DAY 2
    Cork 07:15 Midleton 07:39

Midleton 07:45 Glounthaune 07:57

Glounthaune 08:05 Cobh 08:19

Cobh 08:25 Tralee 11:03

Tralee 11:15 Mallow 12:44

Mallow 13:52 Limerick Jctn 14:26

Limerick Jctn 15:46 Enniscorthy 19:42

Enniscorthy 20:05 Connolly 22:12

DAY 3
    Heuston 08:20 Westport 11:58

Westport 13:10 Manulla 13:32

Manulla 13:36 Ballina 14:05

Ballina 17:55 Manulla 18:23

Manulla 18:28 Athlone 20:05

Athlone 20:51 Galway 21:55

DAY 4
    Galway 05:20 Heuston 08:10

Heuston 09:00 Ballybrophy 10:05

Ballybrophy 10:10 Limerick 11:53

Limerick 12:45 Ennis 13:25

Ennis 13:30 Limerick 14:10

Limerick 14:15 Kildare 15:54

Kildare 17:12 Waterford 19:05

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

KC61 wrote: »
    Six and a half days?????

I've no idea where that comes from - it can easily be done in four days as follows:
    but not if you play by Victor's rules
    "One more rule added: you can only travel by train, except Connolly-Heuston.
    "
    You can't get from Donabate to Malahide.

I very nearly planned such an endeavour over several days back in 2006 but decided not to in the end, I hadn't got a backup plan in case something went wrong such as being stranded in Westport or Ballina!

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Nearly had a schedule, but only one train a day between Waterford and Rosslare through me. I'd like to do it this way, because then you don't have to walk between Heuston and Connolly. Anyway, must work today, so will try again some other time.

but not if you play by Victor's rules
    "One more rule added: you can only travel by train, except Connolly-Heuston.
    "

Well I think he meant assuming the viaduct was there!

Limerick Jctn 15:46 Enniscorthy 19:42

that is one nuts service, I wonder has any non-trainspotter ever taken it end-to-end

Well the rationale was to provide a later service from Rosslare to the East Coast stations and to provide a connection from the 1725 ex-Connolly beyond Enniscorthy and this was the best way of doing it using rolling stock that would otherwise be idle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Is this a theoretical exercise which assumes all trains arrive on time, or should random 10-40 minute delays be thrown in to make it more realistic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

What a way to waste money in a blooming recession :eek: honestly!!

Assume Malahide Viaduct is fixed and all services resume. :)

• Advertisement

Six and a half days?????
    Presumably before improvements on Dublin-Cork/Tralee.
    Are you doing all of Limerick Junction?

Advertisement