Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cyclists should be "taken out and shot"

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Roadhawk wrote: »
    No it would be for all vehicles bar HGVs, no specific lanes.

Yeah, that's an awful, terrible idea. Removing bus lanes? No, just...no.
    Do we really need paths on the river side of the road along the quays? could we not just extend the promenade for those who want to see the water and remove the path? more space?

I'm beginning to doubt you've ever actually been in Dublin. The majority of the riverside paths on the Liffey quays are about 1 person wide.
    I actually disagree with onsite parking everywhere in Dublin City. I think it should be removed and there should be more multistory car-parks. Do people give out about being too far from their destination after parking?

Same problem as with your crazy freeways through Dublin idea - there's no room for more MSCPs in the city centre, especially with the existing density problems that commercial buildings are already facing.

Here's the crux of your problem RoadHawk - you have yet to present any single, compelling reason why private car usage should be maintained at current levels, let alone given free reign to increase further. Even most drivers that I know agree that it is in the public interest if it is curtailed, and priority given to public transport.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Food for thought?

I've infracted the poster who called this trolling as it is not allowed, but if you want to forward an argument, you'll need to do more than one liners.

Turn Dublin into a free flowing city by removing as many pedestrian crossings as possible. Build tunnels or bridges to reduce stoppage time for motorists. There are many roads that could be changed to one-way systems that would take a higher capacity of cars. Then build a segregated cycle track above pathways (1 story/ 1st floor) that is only for cyclists but would serve as a rain shelter for pedestrians.

PS. i dont do drugs :D

Posts like this will be viewed as trolling.

I have not read all the thread and likely won't get a chance to do so this evening, but please report trolling or back seat moderating.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

Deedsie wrote: »
    How is sitting in traffic luxury? Polluting the planet, expense, stress, health risks are all reason enough not to drive in Dublin city centre. I have a car but I only use it at the weekends and only when required.

This might sound completely ignorant but polluting the planet is not going to affect me in my life time. Its amazing how there is so much focus on reducing pollution by reducing cars. What about the likes of planes, trains and ships that are in and out of Dublin on a daily basis.

The luxury of a car over a bicycle are worlds apart.

• Advertisement

Thats the beauty of google. It shows you what you search for.

Debate at this level is trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

monument wrote: »
    Debate at this level is trolling.

I will hang my hat up here so. Good day to you all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

This might sound completely ignorant but polluting the planet is not going to affect me in my life time.

Have to say that's a deeply depressing and saddening attitude.
    Its amazing how there is so much focus on reducing pollution by reducing cars. What about the likes of planes, trains and ships that are in and out of Dublin on a daily basis.

Planes, trains, and ships operate out through more vital necessities like transporting vast amounts of goods or passengers per vessel.

Cars are not in any way a necessity for Dublin commuting for most. That said, the opposite of necessity is not luxury, because car commuting in Dublin is also a terrible experience.

And you don't have to go near a bicycle to reap health benefits from ditching a car. Dublin is one of the most walkable cities in the world, and you'll very much enjoy the luxury of strolling along faster than the speed of the jammed up rush hour traffic.

Advertisement