Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Pines Rathfarnham

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

This would be of interest to me if I were considering the estate http://www.echo.ie/news/article/council-spend-13m-on-thirty-new-homes

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mohm.kamal

Thank you all for your replies, it really helped me a alot
    The bigger concerns for me with White Pines would be the proximity to the M50 (some of the house back onto it), the traffic getting on the roads down near Ballycullen and Rathfarnham, and the lack of any amenities nearby.

I agree, but why do you think that living nearby a halting site is safe? Again, I'm coming from another country and the definition of "safety and dodge areas" are different.
    Personally I wouldn't be looking there. Its just not a good location for the above reasons and they're very average looking houses for the price.

So you think 425k for 3-bed room houses in this area is overpriced?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

There's already an entire big. long thread about White Pines.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057801485

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Leeroy!

Apparently it’s 30 spread across both sites and not just in the already released phases.
    Somewhat good news for those who have or are soon to buy.
    Most likely everything will be fine, there’s so much growth happening and it’s such early days that the community will grow nicely and positively over the next 5 years. Onwards and upwards I say. Stay positive guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 apples22

Hi all. Has anyone moved into this development? Just wondering what experiences are like with the estate, the builders and quality of the buildings? I’ve heard mixed things about the area - much like what is mentioned already in this thread. I’m also interested in knowing if build quality is good in the terraced houses (soundproofing with neighbours, ventilation). Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Hybrasil

apples22 wrote: »
    Hi all. Has anyone moved into this development? Just wondering what experiences are like with the estate, the builders and quality of the buildings? I’ve heard mixed things about the area - much like what is mentioned already in this thread. I’m also interested in knowing if build quality is good in the terraced houses (soundproofing with neighbours, ventilation). Thanks.

Moved in last November into one of the terraced houses - delighted with it so far! Family with children living next door and we're amazed but never hear them, so noise proofing seems good, it's block wall between. Quality is over all good, no issues (although less than 5 months in!) foreman was excellent I'd have to say in getting a few small things during snagging done with no arguing (small touch-ups to paint etc). House is really warm as you'd expect, there is a ventilation system so no issues there either, air-quality is good and velux windows can be opened electronically & closed so can give the bathroom and upstairs landing an air-out when needed. I go running and cycling in the area, very early days but no issues, people who have moved in are friendly, mostly young couples or young families. Landscaping is lovely, they have just added some outdoor exercise equipment and looks like they will open up the pedestrian route into the park/playing pitches next door soon.

Feel free to PM me if any more detailed questions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭ Jensen Mushy Airplane

You are miles from everything in that estate. To get on m50 in morning you'll be queued most of the way back up the ballycullen road. To pay circa half a million for a house here is insane

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

You are miles from everything in that estate. To get on m50 in morning you'll be queued most of the way back up the ballycullen road. To pay circa half a million for a house here is insane

Welcome to Dublin. I cycled up here after work last night and I was disappointed to see a lot of the quieter back roads around Cruagh being used as a rat run. Transport in the area isn't ideal, but unless you are willing to pay a premium to be in Dundrum or Rathmines, you're going to be far from most things.

Not that much of a problem if you're willing to cycle or invest in a cargo bike for shopping.

Yeah, the Ballycullen Road has gotten appreciably worse in the mornings over the past couple of months. Bus lane and driving lane back to the Hunterswood entrance by 8.15 every morning now and staying that way til almost 9am. Someone on this thread suggested a while back that White Pines residents would access the M50 via Scholarstown Road but I had my very serious doubts about whether that would be the case and it looks like I was right.

Living up that direction is becoming more and more miserable with the amount of traffic being generated. I've taken to avoiding the Ballycullen Road/M50 route altogether but the alternatives aren't a whole lot better, tbh. Took me 14 minutes to get from Hunterswood to the lights at the Old Mill this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Yeah, the Ballycullen Road has gotten appreciably worse in the mornings over the past couple of months. Bus lane and driving lane back to the Hunterswood entrance by 8.15 every morning now and staying that way til almost 9am. Someone on this thread suggested a while back that White Pines residents would access the M50 via Scholarstown Road but I had my very serious doubts about whether that would be the case and it looks like I was right.

Living up that direction is becoming more and more miserable with the amount of traffic being generated. I've taken to avoiding the Ballycullen Road/M50 route altogether but the alternatives aren't a whole lot better, tbh. Took me 14 minutes to get from Hunterswood to the lights at the Old Mill this morning.

I'm not commenting on the area in general here - just the traffic. But if you think the traffic is bad now, just wait until White Pines and Ballycullen Green are fully occupied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

It's not really miles from everything at all - very close to parks, shopping centres, schools, creches etc etc. Location is actually great, problem is if you are reliant on a car to get around.

steamsey wrote: »
    I'm not commenting on the area in general here - just the traffic. But if you think the traffic is bad now, just wait until White Pines and Ballycullen Green are fully occupied.

I know. That's my fear. When I moved in, Hunterswood was the last of the houses and the traffic was bad then. We've since had Stocking Well & Stocking Wood, Dalriada, Abbot's Grove, Dodderbrook, Ballycullen Green, and White Pines built, with more phases of the latter two still to come, and pretty much nothing in the way of traffic planning done, other than the widening of the hatched markings on Colmcille's Way about 10 years ago.

It's just absolutely mental. I know there's a housing crisis and Dublin desperately needs more housing stock built, but for the love of God can we please have some actual traffic planning and capacity checks done in tandem???

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I know. That's my fear. When I moved in, Hunterswood was the last of the houses and the traffic was bad then. We've since had Stocking Well & Stocking Wood, Dalriada, Abbot's Grove, Dodderbrook, Ballycullen Green, and White Pines built, with more phases of the latter two still to come, and pretty much nothing in the way of traffic planning done, other than the widening of the hatched markings on Colmcille's Way about 10 years ago.

It's just absolutely mental. I know there's a housing crisis and Dublin desperately needs more housing stock built, but for the love of God can we please have some actual traffic planning and capacity checks done in tandem???

Most of this can be solved by better public transport links (govt) and people accepting that driving to work in Dublin isn't really a sustainable option.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

steamsey wrote: »
    It's not really miles from everything at all - very close to parks, shopping centres, schools, creches etc etc. Location is actually great, problem is if you are reliant on a car to get around.

Agree with this. My parents have lived on Stocking lane for 20+ years and that's where I grew up. We moved into White Pines just before Christmas and haven't had any issues. Yes if you leave for work after 8 you are going to end up stuck in traffic, but that's true of pretty much anywhere in Dublin. Saying it's miles from anywhere is hyperbole, takes me 15/20 minutes to Stillorgan Industrial Estate in the morning leaving at 7.30.

They certainly do need to do some work on traffic management in the area (reducing the roundabout at Orlagh to one lane was a bizarre decision and has been a disaster so far) and you'd imagine they will once enough people start making noise.

• steamsey wrote: »

I’m just off Scholarstown Road and we walk or cycle everywhere. The days I need the car I thank my stars we can do that, I’d hate to have no option but to drive everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Most of this can be solved by better public transport links (govt) and people accepting that driving to work in Dublin isn't really a sustainable option.

I used to stare slack-jawed at the cars going nowhere when coasting by on the bus into work in Dublin city centre from D15. The Phibsboro area especially would be chock-a-block. I know that some of those drivers were coming from far afield and had no choice but to drive. But I could not see the appeal of sitting in traffic like that if I had the choice not to. My husband worked near me in the city centre and tried driving in once when a parking space became freed up at his company. I expressed serious doubt that it would be as quick as the bus but he was adamant he wanted to give it a go. It lenghtened his commute by more than half an hour each way.

People can't have it all unless they are going to pay a lot of money. We are renting in dun Laoghaire and my 5km cycle takes me 15 mins in traffic. I drove to work recently and it took me double that. The houses around our apartment are going for 800k.

Granted some people need to drive, but most cars I pass are driver occupied only, and if you live within 15km of work, you can't really complain. Remember, you're not stuck in traffic, you are traffic.

Since moving in we've heard a lot about traffic but thankfully have not experienced it yet. I generally cycle via Stocking Lane but when I've driven the same route at the same time there is just the normal amount of traffic you'd expect between 7.00-7.30, no tailbacks. I'd be well gone by 8.00-9.00 but I'd imagine traffic is crazy everywhere in Dublin then, particularly around schools (such as Colmcille's). Sitting into your car to go anywhere at that time is madness. Either go earlier or find a different way of getting there.

Simple thing is that no amount of "traffic planning" would cater for the amount of cars already on the road or even more cars, developments would stop dead all over Dublin if even 1 car from each house was modeled. Cities and cars do not work (look at any city Dublin's size or bigger internationally, same issues) simple as, unless you cycle, walk or use public transport expect to be stuck in traffic (infrastructure for cycling & public transport definitely needs to be improved!). Develop huge roadways and flyovers like LA and more and more cars will fill them, its just induced demand. The dream of sitting into your car at 8.45 and driving leisurely to work in 10 minutes will never happen if you live in a city...unless you live incredibly close to work!!

Do all houses not have an external tap fitted?

It looks like a big enough job if it's coming from the mains to the island. Really weird design choice, as is the decision not to install an external socket.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Do all houses not have an external tap fitted?

It looks like a big enough job if it's coming from the mains to the island. Really weird design choice, as is the decision not to install an external socket.

Yes, unfortunately - no tap to the rear of the house (But not sure if this is done in any new developments?) Going to get a water-butt installed for summer watering, that should hopefully suffice for watering plants etc., if not, it's probably a drought like last year and plants are in trouble anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 dkiernan9

Have they mentioned anything about a shop recently? Still no planning application lodged.

Hybrasil wrote: »
    Yes, unfortunately - no tap to the rear of the house (But not sure if this is done in any new developments?) Going to get a water-butt installed for summer watering, that should hopefully suffice for watering plants etc., if not, it's probably a drought like last year and plants are in trouble anyway!

My brother moved into Clay Farm: external tap and power supply.

It's pretty disappointing but I understand if more work having an island. My issue isn't plants but washing bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mbirdy

Hey just wondering if anyone knows anything about the White Pines land that's under dispute. If you google Gene Brady Terenure an article from the Irish Examiner should come up.

Anyway this Gene Brady appears to be claiming that the land where the White Pines Glade homes are built is actually his (16 homes). It's going to the High Court.

Sorry for not posting the direct link but it won't let me as I'm a new member?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dubber

Does anyone know what the bus into town is like in the morning from white pines, is it a 1hr+ job?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

dubber wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the bus into town is like in the morning from white pines, is it a 1hr+ job?

Yes about an hour depending where in town exactly. You have the benefit of being close to the terminal though, they fill up very quickly especially during Spanish student season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Steveire

mbirdy wrote: »
    Hey just wondering if anyone knows anything about the White Pines land that's under dispute. If you google Gene Brady Terenure an article from the Irish Examiner should come up.

Anyway this Gene Brady appears to be claiming that the land where the White Pines Glade homes are built is actually his (16 homes). It's going to the High Court.

Sorry for not posting the direct link but it won't let me as I'm a new member?

I guess you mean this:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/developer-concerned-dublin-land-ownership-dispute-may-affect-future-house-sales-893121.html

I was viewing White Pines a few weeks ago, and some houses (on the right side of the photo with no dots in the gardens) were not available to buy.

https://imgur.com/a/ZcpHfIW

Maybe that's the 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dkiernan9

Anyone viewed these houses recently? Was there any info about building the creche and shops. Nothing started yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lfen

Registered my interest yesterday and got an email today advising below.

We currently have a mix of 3, 4 and 5 bedroom homes available with a starting price €435.000
    Our showhouses are currently closed and there is no open viewing taking place this month.
    I will register your interest in the development.

Thought it was strange, but possibly the houses under dispute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DeeBee1208

We actually attended a viewing yesterday. The agent looking after the development is going on holidays, hence no more viewings this month.

To those already living in the development, anyone I can DM to get some info on your experiences so far? Fiancé and I are interested in purchasing, but want to get a feel for what it's like especially with the halting site nearby and if there's been any anti social behaviour, too much rubbish dumping or burglaries etc. Huge decision and all that as we're first time buyers, want to do our due diligence before making a decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lfen

We took a drive through the estate at the weekend to rule it in or out. All seemed well until we pulled out and saw a group of visitors from the nearby halting site jumping over the rail into the houses. Kids in pjs, adults not much better. It’s a no from us anyway.

Advertisement