Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ski Season 2018/2019

• 11-07-2018 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭

Time to get things going again? We're well past mid-summer :D

Anyway, Crystal Ski seem to have some great early-bird deals going at the moment - I'm particularly interested in Soll, around January 5th, unfortunately their links for searches don't work so I can't share them here.

Fanny, if you're still knocking around, I'd be obliged of you could recommend any of the places on https://www.crystalski.ie/search/sr.81 (hopefully that link works)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm trying to save so trying to not book another ski holiday. It's so hard!

But if I did go again I think I'd get away without going for lessons this time. I was a bit fed up in them last year anyway. I think I've been unlucky to get two terrible instructors out of 4. the first instructor was swapped out and I moved class the second time. Most people have great experiences in classes so don't really get my hesitations about them, but I'm not sure u could put up with another crap instructor. And two classes of 13/14 pupils didn't help add well.

But if I didn't have to pay for lessons I'd save that cost too.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

blue note wrote: »
    I'm trying to save so trying to not book another ski holiday. It's so hard!

But if I did go again I think I'd get away without going for lessons this time. I was a bit fed up in them last year anyway. I think I've been unlucky to get two terrible instructors out of 4. the first instructor was swapped out and I moved class the second time. Most people have great experiences in classes so don't really get my hesitations about them, but I'm not sure u could put up with another crap instructor. And two classes of 13/14 pupils didn't help add well.

But if I didn't have to pay for lessons I'd save that cost too.....

Do you have a Revolut credit card? If not get one, they have a great feature called a Vault, its basically a change jar, any purchase you make is rounded up. After one week I have €33 in my snowboarding vault :D

I only ever took two snowboarding classes, once I had the basics I headed off by myself. Riding/Skiing with someone a bit above your level is also a great way of learning, they drag you up, force you to push yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

I’ve spent the past week planing my two trips, four day to Italy in December and another four to Austria in January. Can’t wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

France (La Tania) and Italy (Sauze Doulx) for us again next season.
    A week in early January, and a week in early March.

Have a few trips away to get through first (oh the pain of it all!) before we can get too excited for skiing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Good man cormee, delighted to see other snow addicts here in abundance too

I'd be wary of booking soll in advance, its low and there's been a few shaky starts to seasons the past few years

• Advertisement

maddness wrote: »
    I’ve spent the past week planing my two trips, four day to Italy in December and another four to Austria in January. Can’t wait!

Am hoping to fit in three this year. Fingers crossed. It would be the fist time in a long time. One definitely Chamonix, not sure about the other two, but I'm starting to like the off-piste in Austria, so that might be on the cards.

I’m going to try to get a third trip in too if possible, I’ve four days booked for Ðecember and another four for January so I’ll see if I can manage a short trip sometime in March too.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭BarryNumber1

Hoping to get to Livigno again. Took a transfer bus the last time and it took ages so might rent a car instead. No issues driving abroad but I do have a question about some of the narrower, 1 vehicle sections, as you get into the mountains. I didn’t see any particular road-signs the last time so I’m not sure who has right of way… going up the hill? down? Do bigger vehicles have right of way, etc. Can anyone shed any light?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

After 4trips to the French alps I totally gotta step outa my comfort zone and go somewhere else! Italy or Austria are where I'm thinking at the sec. Definitely not going to book until I see how the season is panning out, I'd actually be happy enough to wait till last minute to book wherever it looks like the snow is good!

Timmaay wrote: »
    After 4trips to the French alps I totally gotta step outa my comfort zone and go somewhere else! Italy or Austria are where I'm thinking at the sec. Definitely not going to book until I see how the season is panning out, I'd actually be happy enough to wait till last minute to book wherever it looks like the snow is good!

Austria is pretty cool, not mad about the food, but otherwise it's great. Nice people and great terrain. I was the same as you, years in French Alps, then went to St. Anton and Lech, both were excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

I'll have my usual 2 trips again this year. Both back to Chamonix more than likely.

I never managed to get my 3rd trip in this year to Stowe. I have family there that will put us up if we decide to visit this coming winter. They have already been on to me trying to get us to commit to a trip for next March.

I know its great to have options but sometimes it makes things even harder.. :o

I'll have my usual 2 trips again this year. Both back to Chamonix more than likely.

I never managed to get my 3rd trip in this year to Stowe. I have family there that will put us up if we decide to visit this coming winter. They have already been on to me trying to get us to commit to a trip for next March.

I know its great to have options but sometimes it makes things even harder.. :o

We've Ski'd in Stowe. Small, but nice skiing. And the town is just gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

We've Ski'd in Stowe. Small, but nice skiing. And the town is just gorgeous!

Yeah beautiful place. We have been there in the summer time. We spent the 4th of July holidays with them. They live just outside Waterbury.
    There are lots of places to ski/snowboard there. I think we would be bringing the 2 kids to Cochrans hill at Richmond.

Timmaay wrote: »

Having skied most of the big resorts in France and in Italy I reckon Italy is fantastic with some amazing resorts and stunning scenery, great food and wine, much cheaper than France and I find the people very welcoming. On the downside the lift infrastructure is probably not as good as France or Austria generally.
    Austria great too but I’ve only been there a few times so can’t give great advice!
    I still think France has the best skiing but you pay more for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Back to France myself! Haven't decided where yet but will get a move on with it in the coming days. Already very much looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

booked when leaving our ski apartment in March 2018..

10 days in March 2019

Booked a week in Les Arcs 1950 last night. 5th January.
    Let the countdown commence!

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Anyone been to Ischgl?

Lads are thinking of heading there next year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Anyone been to Ischgl?

Yes, class, went for second time this year. Very good lifts, very good infrastructure up the mountain, general classy air and lots of steep blacks. A great place to ski pistes and eat and drink well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Anyone been to Ischgl?

Been 5/6 times - excellent ski area, chair lift system best I’ve been on.. town pretty big lots to do .. all in all it’s a winner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 A1Son

Been to Ischgl once, great terrain, good lift system and fairly decent snowpark. Some good prices to be had on the accommodation end of things if your concerned about budget. High end resort though with a great apres ski buzz. You'll love it.
    We got a place in Jasna Slovakia if anyone is looking for a budget friendly 2nd or 3rd sneaky ski break!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Cheers for the feedback folks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Just booked Les Deux Alps for January.

Any advice on the place?

Diemos wrote: »
    Just booked Les Deux Alps for January.

Any advice on the place?

The apres ski is pretty lively and goes on until all hours - book a bedroom away from the road if possible.

There's a quiet side of the ski area called Valle Blanche (not THAT one) it's a lot quieter than the main ski area, there are some nice wide, cruisey runs, it's worth checking out for a morning.

There's a red, or maybe it's a black, called Diablo (or something evil-sounding like that), it's great, give it a shot.

When I was there there was only one "piste", from the town to the main ski area, it gets very very packed in the evening, and it's more like a lane than a piste, take it before or after the main crows make their way down. I read that they've added a new piste back down, if so you should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

Went sale agreed on a house a week ago. Whatever hope I had of getting away for a week is getting slimmer and slimmer. I know it's a good thing. But still....

Going to give Alpe d'Huez a go again myself. Going with the missus this time so will actually to be able to concentrate on the skiing side of things. Going for the new year, accomm booked and all, can't wait!
    Hopefully the snow is as good but the weather is better. Lifts closed on last day last year and should've been another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Snow this week out in Banff. Both Sunshine and Lake Louise Instagram have pics up. Getting a bit excited now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mulbot

Going to give Alpe d'Huez a go again myself. Going with the missus this time so will actually to be able to concentrate on the skiing side of things. Going for the new year, accomm booked and all, can't wait!
    Hopefully the snow is as good but the weather is better. Lifts closed on last day last year and should've been another day.

Trying to decide on Alpe d'Huez or les deux Alps for January-leaning more towards Alpe d'Huez so how would you recommend it? ( group will -advanced skiers,a few snowboarders,two 6yr olds and a mother-in-law(as a nanny:D).Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

I will be spending the season in Morzine, working.
    Really looking forward to it, never skied there before. We spent most of last season in Paradiski after a big life change in January.
    Starting to get excited now !!

• Advertisement

mulbot wrote: »
    Trying to decide on Alpe d'Huez or les deux Alps for January-leaning more towards Alpe d'Huez so how would you recommend it? ( group will -advanced skiers,a few snowboarders,two 6yr olds and a mother-in-law(as a nanny:D).Thanks

I haven't been to Les Deux Alps yet but Alpe d'Huez was quite good when I was there. I did go when all that snow hit Europe last year so I got quite lucky. It's apparently the biggest ski domain in Europe which means there's obviously plenty of skiing. Loads of off-piste as well and a few forest trails. It is spread out over a very large area though, and some lifts close earlier that others - so be careful with that!
    Transport is also free around the village and down to the next village also (Huez). We rented a car, but there was absolutely no need. It was busy, but it's a charming little village. Good pubs and clubs if you're that way inclined, but it also has a cinema and all the usual apres-ski-for-kids sort stuff.

I'd definitely recommend it, but I wasn't hugely impressed, but I went with a group of lads last year which is why I want to give it a proper go this time round.

And lastly, if you're going at a peak time you'll need to book group lessons in advance if you need them. The lads I was with had to take private lessons because they didn't!

Advertisement