Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Niall Tobin

• 13-11-2019 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭

He sadly passed away this morning, as reported by RTE news. May he rest in peace.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Pity, I used to find him very funny on the Late Late years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Great actor and comedian for a very long time. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

RIP haven't seen him in ages though must have been away from the business for a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    RIP haven't seen him in ages though must have been away from the business for a good while.

he was old, and also ill for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 84,954 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought he was dead already :o RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I remember my grandmother nearly wetting herself laughing when he put forward that Noel V. Ginnity’s full name was Noel “Virginity” Ginnity.

RIP.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 66,820 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Vita nova wrote: »
    Great actor and comedian for a very long time. RIP.

As good an actor as we had, that part of his career is often overlooked by the stand up part. Saw him on stage many times.

RIP Niall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

He was great in" Poitin"

• Registered Users Posts: 66,820 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I see from IMDB that he made a short film last year. Must try and track it down.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8072260/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭LordBasil

RIP Niall

We've lost a lot of Irish stars this year;

Pat Laffan
    Karl Shiels
    Brendan Grace
    Gay Byrne
    and now Niall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The ultimate Corkman, and the ultimate Brendan Behan in the absence of the man himself. RIP, biy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

jimgoose wrote: »
    The ultimate Corkman, and the ultimate Brendan Behan in the absence of the man himself. RIP, biy.

Not only a Corkman but a Mon boy! The AG no less!

Ar Dheis Dé.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Only saw him live once as part of a line up of comedians for the CRC fun raiser. He was last on and it was like the rest of the very well known and famous comedians were a warm up act for him, he had the place in stitches.

No vulgarity or crude jokes, just good aul fashioned humour but it worked a treat.

RIP Neil, few like you left out there. You will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

razorblunt wrote: »
    Not only a Corkman but a Mon boy! The AG no less!

Ar Dheis Dé.

In late 97, TG4 came to the AG and Niall participated in a documentary about his Mon days. The poet Michael Davitt was directing it. We were in 6th year and a few of us were selected to "cur ceisteanna" to Niall, who stood at the head of the class and regaled us with his answers. He loved chit chatting with us. It was a one camera set up so my question was "Ar ghlac tú páirt i ndrámaí scoile?". I was filmed asking the question and Niall immediately started into his scéal about playing parts in those plays but he was interrupted and stopped by Davitt which left Niall disgruntled.

With one camera/boom, the crew needed to turn it around and train it on Niall so they could film his story. I got the impression that Davitt, who came across as a lovely man, was a bit disgruntled with Niall in a "ffs, Niall, we have ONE camera, you know how this works, stop acting like a diva". There was a mutual and palpable "let's get this done and get out of here" brusqueness to it all. A few minutes later, with the camera/boom now trained on Niall, Davitt asked me to put the question to Niall again. He started complaining saying "I've been asked that already" in a haughty tone. I thought he was taking the piss out of me but in reality he was presumably having a go at Davitt in a "do you even know what you're doing Mike?" way. Of course when you watch the finished polished product all you see is me asking a question and Niall telling an amusing anecdote. Was good to get an insight into how the programmes were made and the mutual boredom of doing the gig that was shared by Niall, Davitt and the crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,479 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Could take him or leave him.
    Found nothing special in his shows.
    RIP though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

He was great on Ballykissangel. Fond memories of that show growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭paconnors

Ríp Niall

Always remember him for playing the part Slipper in the Irish RM

He was up in court for being Drunk and Disorderly the RM found him Guilty to which he replied. Thank you my Lord

He then proceeded to sentence him in which he replied What!

It's in this video 44 seconds in

https://youtu.be/pmZw_502ckM

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

RIP you legend, My two favorite videos of him.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2mbzhj

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Shocking news. Very funny guy

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

R.I.P. Niall

• Advertisement
Advertisement