Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Divorce From Garmin

• 04-11-2019 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Unless they do something spectacular in the next few days I'll be saying so long to Garmin and venturing into the unknown with Suunto or Polar.

Long story short, (or long)
    910xt - Went buggy and started to lose workouts
    920xt - Bought to replace above but elevation stopped working
    920xt - Replaced by Garmin but elevation quickly died again
    735xt - Bought by me but developed a flickering screen. Sent it back
    735xt - Garmin replacement, same flickering screen. This time though Garmin have decided I should try a new charging cable? Which they've lost. All the time I'm using the old 910xt which allows one workout at a time to be on the watch

I might be unlucky or Garmin reliability could just be crap

So, I'm drawn to a Suunto 9 or Polar Vantage V or M.
    Suunto - is it true you can't send workouts to it similar to having your calendar from Connect go to your Garmin?
    Polar - what are experiences like of these lately? I had one years ago but not a fair comparison

I'm running mainly at the moment but will be back to tri once I get the sub 3 hour monkey off my back

I'm fed up with Garmin. Fecking badges for running on Halloween.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I have had several Suunto Ambit watches in the period between the Polar V800 and Vantage V

There is nothing like the HR data, feedback and training systems that are available through the Polar watches.

I'd an issue with the strap on my V800. returned to Polar after 2 years and replaced with a brand new watch.
    Broke strao on my Vantage V and Polar sent a replacement in the post, next day free of charge.

Their customer service is excellent.

On negative, updates are slow and steady, wont have fancy unnecessary BS music, call answering stuff but do have on watch notifications and great training feedback.

Suunto are solid watches and have good battery life options but their Movescount system is worse than the 90's version of Polar software.

Actually the 90's version was ProTrainer5 which was EXCEPTIONAL!! Movescount is pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Buy my second hand Garmin 935 - verified no issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Thanks Sconhome - I remember holding my RS800 up to the speaker of the PC while it beeped out morse code to upload data to ProTrainer5. Cutting edge. Sounds like Suunto are just about to hit that mark.

Thanks Tunney - I'm trying to guilt Garmin into sending me something better than the 735xt.
    They sent a new charging cable and proudly gave me to the tracking. It was received by Thomas this morning. I hope he enjoys the cable cos I have no neighbours nearby called Thomas so no clue where this is

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭pc11

I have a 12 year old Garmin Foreunner 305 and I bought a shiny new Suunto Ambit Vertical 3 last year.

Suffice to say I still use the Garmin for running/cycling. The Suunto is so unsuitable for running that I can only presume that it was designed by someone who has never ever run!

The Suunto is ok for pool swimming and can be used for outdoor swimming but NEVER EVER for running/cycling.

The Garmin is large by modern standards but I've never found anything better.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭carbonceiling

I had a Garmin 310XT which I eventually gave up on and replaced with a Polar M430

I've had it for 18 months wearing it daily as a normal watch and using it five or six times a week to record training sessions.

I'm very happy with it and have had no issues other than the strap now needs replacing. The strap didn't break, it just seemed to stretch to the point where it did not meet cleanly with the frame of the watch any more and one day just popped out. I glued it back on with Gorilla glue as I needed it that day for a run, it's holding but looks a mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

What about Coros watches. Relatively new but seem decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Bertje14

bought a 2nd hand Fenix 3 never had any issues with it.

Thanks, I could just be unlucky
    I looked at Coros but thought it would be too much of a leap into the unknown.

I'm getting a lot of advice on replacing my Garmin with another Garmin.
    It's like when I ask the IT guy across the hall if the network is down in the building and he just checks his mail and says 'mine's working fine'
    I've had an Edge of one type or another for years without a problem but the wrist based watches just don't agree with me.

My main issue with Garmin now is that over a week after logging the fault and offering to send the watch back at my own cost to speed things along they've only given me the RMA number today. I'd be alright with them telling me to feck off but the support has put the emphasis on me to diagnose the problem before sending it back to them. I told them that on day one but they insisted I fart around with swapping cables.

I should have logged in as E. Kipchoge. Bet they'd move quicker then

Amazon have the Polar Vantage V for £238 this morning. Job done

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Titan2020

I'm using the phenix 5x great watch..going fairly cheap now too

• Advertisement

Titan2020 wrote: »
    I'm using the phenix 5x great watch..going fairly cheap now too

I have to confess I ate a huge slice of humble pie.
    I bought a Polar Vantage V but it never worked. Great looking watch but mine never found a GPS signal and was too eager to drop swim laps. Amazon took it back without question.
    I bought a Fenix 5X and can't complain. I won't be telling Garmin that though

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

+1 for the fenix 3. It is my third garmin and had a couple of bike computers. Hasn’t missed a beat and no bugs. It is four years old now and still going strong. Wish I could say the same about there other products as you felt like a beta tester at times

Advertisement