Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Family

• 12-08-2019 8:49am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else here watching the new Netflix documentary, The Family, which covers the exceptional influence of a well-funded American right wing group in undermining democratic process initially in the states and later worldwide. Having also recently watched their documentary following the Cambridge Analytica scandal, it looks like democracy is being attacked from quite a few angles at this point and struggling badly if not failing outright as a result.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sounds like a prod Opus Dei. Although I doubt Opus Dei had the tight zebra-striped pants.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Joaquin Phoenix was a member of the cult, but he got out

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Praise Be

1674593_1.jpg

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Had to look up the picture above, from The Handmaids Tale TV series apparently. Seems reasonably apt from my take on The Family and how they treat women. Must pick up a copy of Jeff Sharlet's book on which the netflix is based when I get a chance. Decent interview with Sharlet here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

smacl wrote: »
    Anyone else here watching the new Netflix documentary, The Family, which covers the exceptional influence of a well-funded American right wing group in undermining democratic process initially in the states and later worldwide. Having also recently watched their documentary following the Cambridge Analytica scandal, it looks like democracy is being attacked from quite a few angles at this point and struggling badly if not failing outright as a result.

It would be an idea to put the word democracy in "". Especially so when your talking the U.S.

The mere ability to choose between two massive machines, who exercise control over huge swathes of the means by which we can be informed, isn't what I'd call a democracy.

It would be like supposing the choice between a Big Mac or a Quarter Pounder n' Cheese an actual choice. Forgetting all the while that you had no choice but to eat in McDonalds.

• Advertisement

It would be an idea to put the word democracy in "". Especially so when your talking the U.S.

The mere ability to choose between two massive machines, who exercise control over huge swathes of the means by which we can be informed, isn't what I'd call a democracy.

It would be like supposing the choice between a Big Mac or a Quarter Pounder n' Cheese an actual choice. Forgetting all the while that you had no choice but to eat in McDonalds.

It is a fair point to the extent that the choice that people are offered doesn't include the choice they might want. At the same time, what we're seeing here is the undermining of whatever democracy that does exist, warts and all. This effectively results in an oligarchy of right wing Christian conservatives.

It is a fair point to the extent that the choice that people are offered doesn't include the choice they might want.

That would be a rather conservative slant. If German voters had been offered a choice between two parties, that of Hitlers and that of a German Mussolini, we would have more to say than the voters weren't being offered the choice they want - which is always the case

At the same time, what we're seeing here is the undermining of whatever democracy that does exist, warts and all. This effectively results in an oligarchy of right wing Christian conservatives.

My point was that a baseline needs to be established from which to measure a particular element (such as right wing christian conservatives).

In the case of the US, it can be argued that there is no democracy there such that any particular current element can be said to be damaging it in any significant way. There is, for instance, no choice in the matter of neo-conservatism, engorging capitalism, imperialist foreign policy, perma-war.

The bail out of Wall Street (and the middle fingering regarding it arising from bankers not being jailed, indeed the practice of same bankers taking up financial policy roles in Government/the Fed) kind of indicates the state of democractic play over there.

In the case of the US, it can be argued that there is no democracy there such that any particular current element can be said to be damaging it in any significant way. There is, for instance, no choice in the matter of neo-conservatism, engorging capitalism, imperialist foreign policy, perma-war.

The argument made in this documentary is that the group involved have been successfully undermining the American democratic process since the days of Eisenhower. My take on it is that this "Family" of far right religious conservatives have played a significant role in the damage done to democracy, in that it does not serve the will of the people.

Out of interest, have you seen the documentary in question?

The argument made in this documentary is that the group involved have been successfully undermining the American democratic process since the days of Eisenhower. My take on it is that this "Family" of far right religious conservatives have played a significant role in the damage done to democracy, in that it does not serve the will of the people.

Out of interest, have you seen the documentary in question?

No I haven't. But I would lay the idea that America is as it is because of a right wing 'family' firmly at the door of the conspiracy theory forum.

I'm inclined more towards complexity theory - one which sees human nature as a significant (and unforeseen in its influences and consequences) player. Rather than any small grouping of lever-pullers (the Jews being another some such).

It can make for convincing TV but the truth is probably more... er .. complex

No I haven't. But I would lay the idea that America is as it is because of a right wing 'family' firmly at the door of the conspiracy theory forum.

I'm inclined more towards complexity theory - one which sees human nature as a significant (and unforeseen in its influences and consequences) player. Rather than any small grouping of lever-pullers (the Jews being another some such).

It can make for convincing TV but the truth is probably more... er .. complex

You could possibly be right, though searching for anything to suggest this is a conspiracy theory draws a blank, and checking any of the specifics of the items raised shows them to reasonable. i.e. that most recent American presidents have attended the Family prayer breakfast, that its membership includes many top ranking American and international politicians, and that Ugandan politicians have stated that the conversations with the group were an inspiration when legislating the death penalty for being gay.
    In a November 2009 NPR interview, Sharlet alleged that Ugandan Fellowship associates David Bahati and Nsaba Buturo were behind the recent proposed bill in Uganda that called for the death penalty for gays. Bahati cited a conversation with Fellowship members in 2008 as having inspired the legislation.

Sharlet reveals that David Bahati, the Uganda legislator backing the bill, reportedly first floated the idea of executing gays during The Family's Uganda National Prayer Breakfast in 2008. Sharlet described Bahati as a "rising star" in the Fellowship who has attended the National Prayer Breakfast in the United States and, until the news over the gay execution law broke, was scheduled to attend the 2010 U.S. National Prayer Breakfast.

So while all this is bizarre enough to give the feel of a conspiracy, I've yet to see anything to suggest that it actually is. Maybe you know different?

• Advertisement

So while all this is bizarre enough to give the feel of a conspiracy, I've yet to see anything to suggest that it actually is. Maybe you know different?

I'm not at all suggesting that there aren't groupings working to undermine "democracy" (NRA? Big Tobacco/Pharma/Food?). Nor that groupings exist which operate far more in the dark than the lobby groups/industries mentioned.

I'm suggesting that democracy in America has long been an illusion and that any group working to undermine democracy is undermining something long since hollowed out by any number of factors beyond the actions of any one group. I mean the American Electoral College system is utterly democracy-busting all on it's own. As is the two party of the rich system there which means only anti-democrats can wield power.

I don't buy some supergroup pulling the strings of something that can be explained by far more mundane mechanisms, such as the sociopathic nature of corporations with shareholders, and not democracy, to serve.
    The argument made in this documentary is that the group involved have been successfully undermining the American democratic process since the days of Eisenhower.

It was already bad enough in Eisenhowers day, him being the one to issue warning in his coining of the phrase "military-industrial complex". That democracy-destroying entity coming about not because of any family but because of a world war which saw great wealth generated from weapons manufacturing, the desire to maintain that wealth generation and a Cold War to provide a rational for having the goose continue to lay golden eggs.

Add Americas dominant position immediately post-war vs. the ruination of former empires and powers and you've the simplest of paths into America-as-empire (or "world policeman" as they used to have us believe). All as natural as the weather (a now redundant phrase). The world order was there to be mopped up post WWII

Its not a family that causes someone to decide to use a €1mil smart cruise missile to take out a sheep herder and his flock of sheep in Iraq, it's much more simple than that. The €1m cruise missile has to be replaced.

Like I said at the outset: the phrase "American Democratic Process" is meaningless. The horse has already bolted. Figment of imagination.

Yes so let's ignore the Republicans' blatant voter suppression and gerrymandering. Nothing to see here, move along. :rolleyes:

Life ain't always empty.

Yes so let's ignore the Republicans' blatant voter suppression and gerrymandering. Nothing to see here, move along. :rolleyes:

I don't recall drawing a distinction between 'democrat' or replublican. My comment apply to both equally.

You'll find it's the Republicans attempting to disenfranchise voters of colour. Yes Democrats were masters of gerrymandering decades ago, but today you'll find it's the Republicans at it. America has a liberal majority but its politics do not reflect this.

Life ain't always empty.

You'll find it's the Republicans attempting to disenfranchise voters of colour. Yes Democrats were masters of gerrymandering decades ago, but today you'll find it's the Republicans at it. America has a liberal majority but its politics do not reflect this.

I recall the Democrats disenfranchising just about everyone with their bailing out of too-big-to-fail banks after the GFC.

And it was both the Democrats and the Republicans who permitted the banks to become too big to fail.

You might also recall that same democratic government disenfranchising by means of perma war, lack of gun control and a host of other business as usuals.

The point being there is little difference of substance between red and blue.

That's not what disenfranchising means.

No point engaging with you if you alter the meaning of words to whatever you like.

Life ain't always empty.

That's not what disenfranchising means.

No point engaging with you if you alter the meaning of words to whatever you like.

Disenfrancishment: deprived of a right or privilege. The right not to have your money stolen from you by government and given to gambling banks?

Perhaps you take a very narrow, technical view? You suppose the fact you can cast a useless vote every 4 years means you live in a democracy?

Disenfrancishment: deprived of a right or privilege. The right not to have your money stolen from you by government and given to gambling banks?

Perhaps you take a very narrow, technical view? You suppose the fact you can cast a useless vote every 4 years means you live in a democracy?

Not so. You would seem to have cherry picked the first line of the Merriam-webster definition. The full definition is as follows;
    Definition of disenfranchise
    transitive verb

: to deprive of a franchise, of a legal right, or of some privilege or immunity
    especially : to deprive of the right to vote

and the explanation;
    What Does It Mean to Disenfranchise Someone?
    Disenfranchise first appeared in English in the 17th century, preceded for a period of some 200 years by the now uncommon word disfranchise. Though both words are, rather obviously, related to franchise, they have nothing to do with that word’s current sense “a team that is a member of a professional sports league." The original meaning of franchise was “freedom from servitude or restraint.” Although disenfranchise does broadly signify depriving someone of any of a number of legal rights, it is most often used today of withholding the right to vote, or of the diminished social or political status of a marginalized group.

Nothing narrow or technical in Hotblack's use whatsoever.

Not so. You would seem to have cherry picked the first line of the Merriam-webster definition. The full definition is as follows;

and the explanation;

Nothing narrow or technical in Hotblack's use whatsoever.

He was commenting on my posting on democracy - which a little wider an issue than whether or not you can vote. In that context his use of the word is narrow.

Hotblack seems to be confusing two players in a loaded game exerting effort to ensure their loaded dice is the one played, with an attack on democracy.

Its not an attack democracy (since that doesn't exist in the US). Its an attack aimed at preventing another player getting to hold the conch instead of you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

In that context his use of the word is narrow.
    Nope. In that context, his use of the word is accurate and correct. Your use of the word is, as ever, woozy and wayward.

Out of interest - if memory serves, you have claimed that you work in software. Do you write code in the same fashion as you write English? If so, could you post some of the code you've written? I'm quite interested to see if your sloppiness of thought and expression in English, where it can be tolerated, translates to sloppiness of thought and expression in code, where it cannot.

• Advertisement

I'm not at all suggesting that there aren't groupings working to undermine "democracy" (NRA? Big Tobacco/Pharma/Food?). Nor that groupings exist which operate far more in the dark than the lobby groups/industries mentioned.

I'm suggesting that democracy in America has long been an illusion and that any group working to undermine democracy is undermining something long since hollowed out by any number of factors beyond the actions of any one group. I mean the American Electoral College system is utterly democracy-busting all on it's own. As is the two party of the rich system there which means only anti-democrats can wield power.

I don't buy some supergroup pulling the strings of something that can be explained by far more mundane mechanisms, such as the sociopathic nature of corporations with shareholders, and not democracy, to serve.

It was already bad enough in Eisenhowers day, him being the one to issue warning in his coining of the phrase "military-industrial complex". That democracy-destroying entity coming about not because of any family but because of a world war which saw great wealth generated from weapons manufacturing, the desire to maintain that wealth generation and a Cold War to provide a rational for having the goose continue to lay golden eggs.

Add Americas dominant position immediately post-war vs. the ruination of former empires and powers and you've the simplest of paths into America-as-empire (or "world policeman" as they used to have us believe). All as natural as the weather (a now redundant phrase). The world order was there to be mopped up post WWII

Its not a family that causes someone to decide to use a €1mil smart cruise missile to take out a sheep herder and his flock of sheep in Iraq, it's much more simple than that. The €1m cruise missile has to be replaced.

Like I said at the outset: the phrase "American Democratic Process" is meaningless. The horse has already bolted. Figment of imagination.

Smacl. It occurs to me that I'm arguing naturalistic ToE for the destruction of democracy in the US. And that you, with the family are arguing special creation ☺

Smacl. It occurs to me that I'm arguing naturalistic ToE for the destruction of democracy in the US. And that you, with the family are arguing special creation ☺

Not sure what you mean by the above. The issue put forward in the documentary was the gerrymandering by this group and senior government officials that were part of the group setting up unofficial political back-channels on behalf of the group. Along with Donald Trump, other recent attendees at the Family National Prayer Breakfast were Mariaa Butina and Jared Kushner, later investigated by the FBI in relation to Russian collusion in the Trump campaign. Interesting article on this no less a source than the National Catholic Reporter. ;)

Not sure what you mean by the above.

My position is that democracy doesn't exist in the States. And that that state of affairs is the result of a myriad of circumstances which have naturalistically arisen and evolved over time. ToE. You can include the present day banking system protected by the taxpayer - something that finds its roots back in the troubled times of 1929 and before .. as something which arose naturalistically and evolved. Or the militaryindustrial comex with its roots in wwii.

The alternative view is that democracy does exist in the States and that a secret grouping is at work to undermine it. (Or democracy doesn't exist and a secret group brought that about). That would be special creation. ☺

The issue put forward in the documentary was the gerrymandering by this group and senior government officials that were part of the group setting up unofficial political back-channels on behalf of the group. Along with Donald Trump, other recent attendees at the Family National Prayer Breakfast were Mariaa Butina and Jared Kushner, later investigated by the FBI in relation to Russian collusion in the Trump campaign. Interesting article on this no less a source than the National Catholic Reporter. ;)

I made the point that the likes of gerrymandering is merely the attempt by one potentially controlling side into gain a jump on the other potentially controlling side. Its not denocracy destroying since democracy is already deestroyed.

We don't view gerrymandering that results in a tinpot African dictator obtaining 90% of the 'vote' as democracy destroying.

We know there is no democracy in that country to start with. We know that the tinpot dictator is merely displaying the same childish attempt at subterfuge that he displays when he stands viewing military parades with soldiers barely able to keep time marching - him wearing western style military regalia with rows of medals pinned to his chest. In that case the non-democracy is obvious. Laughable almost.

And so too is it in the US. The notion of democracy is laughable. The country is firmly in the hands of big money and big power.

This Family is merely one of the power players desiring to ensure they are the power player with the most power.

Sorry, but that sounds like a flimsy excuse concocted to justify the actions of a bunch of over-privileged megalomaniacs attempting undermine the legitimate running of a state, as created by many successive democratically elected representatives over an extended period of time.

I really don't think the comparison between a tinpot dictatorship in Africa and a major super-power stands up. Nor for that matter is the American government, for all of its many flaws, comparable to a rather hateful elitist right wing conservative Christian collective who lack any popular mandate.

Sorry, but that sounds like a flimsy excuse concocted to justify the actions of a bunch of over-privileged megalomaniacs attempting undermine the legitimate running of a state, as created by many successive democratically elected representatives over an extended period of time.

I really don't think the comparison between a tinpot dictatorship in Africa and a major super-power stands up. Nor for that matter is the American government, for all of its many flaws, comparable to a rather hateful elitist right wing conservative Christian collective who lack any popular mandate.

Mandate? Does the NRA have a mandate? Does Wall Street have a mandate? Does Lockeed Martin have a mandate? Does corporate media have a mandate?

Politics in the US is sewn up. You get your mandate from big power and big money - for without those you don't get to run the show.

What is flimsy is the idea that people have a choice in this. They get what's on the menu and whats on the menu is in the hands of anyone but the people.

Hence tinpot.

I'm not sure where you get your 'successive democratically elected' idea from. Do you suppose a choice defined by big money and power is a democratic one?

You'd have a funny idea about democracy in that case.

Mandate? Does the NRA have a mandate? Does Wall Street have a mandate? Does Lockeed Martin have a mandate? Does corporate media have a mandate?

That's no more than whataboutery. The fact that democratic governments, not just the US by the way, can be unduly influenced by big business, a biased media agenda or right-wing religious conservative groups doesn't make any of it acceptable. What most democratic governments do in this situation, including the US, is to set up bodies to regulate standards in public office. The solution, which you seem to be favouring, to ditch democracy and pass the reins over the various feuding groups of power hungry crazies, is never going to be an option.

But, but, religion, therefore either what they're doing is OK, or everyone else is at it as well so it doesn't matter.

Life ain't always empty.

That's no more than whataboutery.

Tell that to a nation that would welcome background checks to place at least some kind of figleaf between nutcases and their obtaining assault weapons. A nation that has to sit and watch whilst successive governments evade the issue.

Some democracy.

The fact that democratic governments, not just the US by the way, can be unduly influenced by big business, a biased media agenda or right-wing religious conservative groups doesn't make any of it acceptable. What most democratic governments do in this situation, including the US, is to set up bodies to regulate standards in public office.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. (edit: I didn't mean that in a mocking way. I was genuinely amused)

Can you tell me which major lobby group (I've mentioned a few above) have had their multi billion $ influence 'regulated' away. You seem to be confusing politicians being censured for taking a bung with politics running on perfectly acceptable bungs.

I mean, where do you think the multi multi millions come from, to run a sucessful presidential campaign? John and Jane Doe?

Reading a story in The Moth about a bloke who got stabbed in New York. Near death but pulled through in surgery to go into ICU. Whereupon an enquiry into his med insurance. He had none and was booted out. 2 collapsed lungs, organs had been removed. Out you go.

And Trump is looking to have this wonder of democracy come take a look at replacing the NHS.

The solution, which you seem to be favouring, to ditch democracy and pass the reins over the various feuding groups of power hungry crazies, is never going to be an option.

I don't recall saying one thing about alternatives. Not one word.

I don't actually think there are alternatives. You see, I believe mankind is fallen and that all we have in the States is that falleness brought to logical conclusion.

It is instructive to track the careers of the various financial top dogs in the US government and the Fed (a private bank). Invariably folk have had careers on Wall St. and/or return to such careers. Bernanke, Greenspan, Volker, Mnuchin, Geitner, Paulson et al.

Now you might say that people drawn from Wall St is necessary for such office (despite the GFC demonstrating in no uncertain terms just how much Wall St. renders one fit for such office).

But you have a clear conflict of interest when folk in office are invariably taking up careers in businesses their office permits them to muzzle or no. Somehow 'standards in public office' doesn't quite sound toothy enough.

Again, I'm not suggesting an alternative. But if you don't see a democracy-busting issue here then I don't know what would cause you to see it.

Guys working and connecting in private high finance spend a few years in public office and return to private high finance. A closed loop.

And we are expected to believe that for that brief period in public office they are going to do whatever is necessary to best serve the public. Like putting bent bankers in jail or regulating the banks or nationalising the ratings agency ratings-4-$ methodologies.

• Advertisement

Nobody is going to argue that there are not many things very wrong with the US system of government. But far-right religious groups are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement