Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eating fish in the workplace

Options
  • 29-05-2019 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

Should there be workplace rules around this. There's a lad in the office who brings in a fish stew and heads it in the micro, it stinks out the office for hours.

Does anyone else have this issue in the office, can workplaces introduce rules around this, I mean wtf does this really need to be explained to people??/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭victor8600

Should there be workplace rules around this. There's a lad in the office who brings in a fish stew and heads it in the micro, it stinks out the office for hours.

Does anyone else have this issue in the office, can workplaces introduce rules around this, I mean wtf does this really need to be explained to people??/

You need a dedicated canteen / room to eat in with proper ventilation. Eating in the office is just gross, fish or not fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

reminded me of this
    https://twitter.com/nbcthegoodplace/status/792048295816273920

I was chatting to the SVP here and when they designed the offices she specified that there should be no microwaves in the kitchen areas so no-one could microwave fish on the office floor. There's loads of microwaves in the big snack room/canteen area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

victor8600 wrote: »
    You need a dedicated canteen / room to eat in with proper ventilation. Eating in the office is just gross, fish or not fish.

It's a big open plan office with the canteen/kitchenette at the end of the room that is partitioned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

Ah sure we'll change the legislation just so you don't have to endure someone having something to eat in the work place.

Then anytime you're travelling near a harbour ring them in advance so the local county council will fumigate the area so you don't have any reaction to the waft.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Does sushi count?

#Notions

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It should be perfectly acceptable, as long as you have a torture room where all non fish microwaving employees can take fish microwaving employees and flay them with nail clippers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

I listen to programs on cooking fish on my radio in work. Then I go for a walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MiliMe

A guy i work with used to bring the smelliest fish into work foe his lunch and microwave it so our whole building would stink.
    Our boss soon directed that the microwave was not tp be used anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115ceeb6074b655a52779f2d49&rid=giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

If it's fish with a herb crust, be sure to tell him...

It's not the thyme, nor the plaice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

One of the women in the office sat at her desk eating salmon slices....she only did it the once. Thinking it’s ok to eat that at her desk is probably the least annoying thing about her which says a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Vita nova

The trouble is that most microwaves have a fan which blows cooking odors into the surrounding area. It might be worth getting a built in microwave which vents into the ventilation ducting and then to the outside of the building.

If that's not an option then I suggest you mullet over with the guy to sea if there is anything that can be done, after all he's not doing it on porpoise, perhaps find another plaice to heat the fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

In the canteen, or at home

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Oh Dear, I’m the fish monster. There’s a load on my floor though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

People who do this are the scum of the earth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

I have a colleague who regularly has a brown trout at his desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

anewme wrote: »

....got no warning to get to the bog on time?

....got no warning to get to the bog on time?

A load of fish eaters work on my floor and fish.

Mostly smoked salmon salads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Fish should be banned outright. How the smell or the scaly, flaky appearance or texture doesn't put people off is beyond me.

There is one guy in my workplace though who brings in stew and it stink like a decomposing rat in the kitchen. What's worse is that he eats it on two seperate sittings throughout the day and I gag every time I get the smell.

bfa1509 wrote: »

There is one guy in my workplace though who brings in stew and it stink like a decomposing rat.

Sorry but im in knots lsughing here....I think that recipe is called rat-a-stewie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Where do you work....:eek:

...they fish on the floor?

Anyone reheating fish in work should be boiled to the verge of death in a vat of their own piss and then fired from a cannon into the Sun.

I feel somewhat strongly about this in case you couldn't tell.

Where do you work....:eek:

...they fish on the floor?

Typo. Sorry they eat fish at their desk at lunchtime.

And sometimes at breakfast.

Scrambled eggs and smoked salmon - lovely breakfast.

Cully and Sully do a lovely fish chowder for the microwave for anyone who likes fish soup. Its lovely but smelly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Disgusting, dirty dirty, Worse then a whore !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Nothing worse. Especially when yer trying to to listen to the wireless.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

There used to be a woman in our office who was obsessed with some sort of high protein diet, and consequently she ate at least three cans of tuna every day - at her desk. Unfortunately the desks at the time were in pods of four, and hers was diagonally opposite to mine. Few things turn my stomach as much as the smell of tuna, and she also had a habit of draining the cans into the sink and not washing the juice down afterwards. Basically everywhere she was there was an all-pervading smell of tuna closely following. She also had this very strange, almost yellowish complexion, probably from all the mercury in the tuna. :pac: Repeated subtle, and even more not so subtle hints about how much I hated the smell of tuna were either ignored or she was oblivious to them, so it was a joyous occasion for me the day she left the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Worked with an African lady who used to microwave mackerel or herring every day and eat it with rice. I like fish but that was nauseating!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Grayson wrote: »
    reminded me of this
    https://twitter.com/nbcthegoodplace/status/792048295816273920

I was chatting to the SVP here and when they designed the offices she specified that there should be no microwaves in the kitchen areas so no-one could microwave fish on the office floor. There's loads of microwaves in the big snack room/canteen area.

I wouldn't have thought the St Vincent de Paul would be an authority on office eating etiquette. Who'd have guessed?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

We had a guy that would microwave his fish, stinking out the canteen and surrounding office area.
    He would then take it to his desk and eat said stinky fish there.
    Then would never finish and leave the remains in the bin beside his desk.
    It was then fish stink roulette until the cleaner came to empty the bin.

There was another guy that would drain the oil/liquid from cans straight in to the bin, the sink is beside the bin.

Advertisement