Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Surge in competition/raffle companies not seem quite dodge?

• 22-05-2019 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭

Following the GAA etiquette of raffling off houses for 100 a ticket I’m not seeing new start companies setting up and selling tickets to buy TVs/second hand cars etc.

Is there not laws on this?

This just popped up on my feed https://livecompetitions.ie/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Yes
    No
    Banana

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Damokc

Popped up for me on Facebook there. It's this livecompetitionsdotie legit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

There's a couple of them around. I prefer these to horses/dogs as all tickets have an equal chance, no favourites/outsiders/fixing.
    If you're claiming all these hundreds of near invisible, virtual (online/pnp) high ticket value, lucky-dip, raffle auctions - plucked out of a hat by some geezer or pre-compiled biased script are all '100% above board' 'good value' or better 'real-world' markets, have a re-think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

More chance of me washing my eyes with bleach than clicking on one of those links above. Surprised people fall for them TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Seems like just another twist on bid-gambling tbh.

I forget the name of the site, it was huge for a couple of months several years ago. You'd spend 50 quid to get 50 tokens or whatever, and then you use your tokens to bid on something (like a TV or a car). If you had the highest bid when the timer ran out, you won. Of course, if you didn't win, you didn't get your tokens back.

Total scam, of course the site was telling you about all these people who got a new TV for a tenner or a brand new car for €200. It wasn't telling you that the site was forcing up the ante with artificial bids and making many times its money back on whatever it gave it away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Poor Leo Sherlock missed the boat on this one. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

seamus wrote: »
    Seems like just another twist on bid-gambling tbh.

I forget the name of the site, it was huge for a couple of months several years ago. You'd spend 50 quid to get 50 tokens or whatever, and then you use your tokens to bid on something (like a TV or a car). If you had the highest bid when the timer ran out, you won. Of course, if you didn't win, you didn't get your tokens back.

Total scam, of course the site was telling you about all these people who got a new TV for a tenner or a brand new car for €200. It wasn't telling you that the site was forcing up the ante with artificial bids and making many times its money back on whatever it gave it away.

Could have been MadBid (since closed), as close to a defination of a scam without being outright scam. It enjoyed lowly 2Star reviews and the ASA blocking most of it's TV ads (for irregulaties).

They often priced things such as Toasters for 36.00, across all currencies $36/€36/€36, of course you paid the stonger currency. After adding admin/click charges and delivery fees, it would have been cheaper just to pop into Argos and pay the standard full RRP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Could have been MadBid (since closed), as close to a defination of a scam without being outright scam. It enjoyed lowly 2Star reviews and the ASA blocking most of it's TV ads (for irregulaties).

They often priced things such as Toasters for 36.00, across all currencies $36/€36/€36, of course you paid the stonger currency. After adding admin/click charges and delivery fees, it would have been cheaper just to pop into Argos and pay the standard full RRP.

Madbid it’s somewhat nostalgia when I think about that...anyways the link I referred to have now got lads doing videos for prizes. There were full on scumbags when I was in school and I’m sure they still are

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

MadBid was absolute genius. They auctioned €10k, sold for something over €9,900 in the end. The trick was that it cost somwhere between €0.10 and €0.30 to bid. They made well over a million, could have been €10m, on the bids for the acution to rise from €1 to the final €9,900 price. It was often full of TVs, consoles or phones worth a few hundred but that they recieved over €10k for after all the paid bids.

Advertisement