Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Escaping to the countryside?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Gerry G wrote: »
    Do it, you wont regret it not even for a second. Country life beats city life hands down. Apart from the smell of cow ****e

Get the whiff of slurry in your nostrils and you know you're not in the city anymore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I can see the attraction but it’s not for me. It would actually be my idea of hell. But we aren’t all the same. One thing I would love in the country is the real proper darkness and being able to see the stars .

But why everyone has to **** all-over everyone else’s choices I don’t know. Again apology for liking Dublin but I do. I really think it’s a lovely small city to live in. Right beside the mountains and the sea if you need to get away. I could never live outside a city, maybe a big town but the middle of the country would kill me. According to everyone its besieged by feral scumbags about to kill you.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

There's rumours about redundancy in my place, probably get a nice nest egg if I went for it.

Re educate myself in something creative and live a more simple life.
    Sell the 4 bed detached and get a 2 bed refurbished cottage.

Im already a horticulturist and quite creative so it should be an advantage.

Into fishing bushcraft and surfing, so id enjoy the ferral lifestyle.

A mate of mine is an actuary and into predicting trends and she maintains a lot of IT jobs will be automated, so IT will fade away,therefore it'll hit a wall in the next ten years.

The big money will be in the creative arts, especially hand made crafts, anything from knitted products to sculpture....

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Galway_guy_33

Hedgelayer wrote: »
    There's rumours about redundancy in my place, probably get a nice nest egg if I went for it.

A mate of mine is an actuary and into predicting trends and she maintains a lot of IT jobs will be automated, so IT will fade away,therefore it'll hit a wall in the next ten years.

The big money will be in the creative arts, especially hand made crafts, anything from knitted products to sculpture....

Ha best one ive heard yet... theres so much source code out there developed controlling things people would never even think about day to day.... even maintaining whats there would ensure IT jobs... let alone whats coming downstream IoT, 5G etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Your mate might be an actuary but her trend prediction is very very poor. Automation has been a major part of IT for many many years and it helps productivity/quality a lot - but it hasn't reduced the number of jobs. New roles are appearing all the time in IT and will continue to do so e.g. Cloud, AI, Security, IoT.

Ask your mate this - how will automation dream up new requirements and innovation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It interesting how the OP phases their post.

Going back to Roman times there was this belief that somehow country life is better that city life and that city life was corrupting people that somehow the countryside is a verdent green Arcadia free of all vices, such as in the irish context.. bad influences on childen, drugs, snobbery, scobies.

deValer famoun speech is full of such nostalgia.

"The ideal Ireland that we would have, the Ireland that we dreamed of, would be the home of a people who valued material wealth only as a basis for right living, of a people who, satisfied with frugal comfort, devoted their leisure to the things of the spirit – a land whose countryside would be bright with cosy homesteads, whose fields and villages would be joyous with the sounds of industry, with the romping of sturdy children, the contest of athletic youths and the laughter of happy maidens,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ireland_That_We_Dreamed_Of

Its very strong in the psyche of a lot of people.

What is with all the Urban v Rural discussions lately? The trend seems to be that Urbanites don't want to 'subsidise' us Rural folks but it's getting heated lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

Your mate might be an actuary but her trend prediction is very very poor. Automation has been a major part of IT for many many years and it helps productivity/quality a lot - but it hasn't reduced the number of jobs. New roles are appearing all the time in IT and will continue to do so e.g. Cloud, AI, Security, IoT.

Ask your mate this - how will automation dream up new requirements and innovation?

Am I was talking about my own requirements for the future.
    I already see people in IT jobs loosing employment because someone clever developed a program which will do the job of 4 people in effect its more productive for the company, but not so productive for the employees.

I don't know much about cloud, but isn't AI artificial intelligence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Its a good thing you're all beneath me. Otherwise, I might actually forget that I wasn't some crusty loser getting mad at Boards ie posts at 5 am in the morning.

This entire thread reminds me that its good to be a young person living in the city. I cant believe the utter bitterness that comes from people here. Does it come with age? Or do I have to spend several years being a social outcast and a failure like the rest of you?

Bleedin scarla' for you when you wake up with the fear and read your silly posts :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Wrong on all three counts, but there ya go.

Pretty accurate I thought, your post that is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,131 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's for some people and not for others.
    If you want to go to Brown Thomas, Starbucks, Zara, etc every few days then it's probably not for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Put your money into the Aran jumper business so and see the return you will get

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Considering meandering into a Software Development career from a Financial background to give me more opportunity to work remotely at a projected higher salary.

Start right now. freecodecamp.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I grew up in the country and had to get my parents to drive me to soccer/ hurling/ swimming/ school/ friends houses. As a parent I do not want to be doing all that driving so we live in a city. I also enjoy being able to walk to shops/ restaurants/ bars. Country living wouldn't be for me. If you've never lived in the country before I'd rent a house before committing to buy anything and see if you actually enjoy the lifestyle.

Ush1 wrote: »
    I don't watch telly at all to be honest. Most evenings I will got to kickboxing or jiu-jitsu, I have a big selection of good places to train very close to me.

I have a selection of places to eat out in and lots of pubs within walking distance. If I want even more choice I have buses and the luas to get me into town where I can go to shows/gigs. I can get a taxi or bus to the airport also.

Summer evenings I will take the kids out to the local playground to play with with other kids. Any shopping I need is in walking distance including a barbers, doctors, chemists, butchers etc.. with a number of large shopping centres in close proximity.

I like being around people so urban/suburban environments suit me, I would hate the solitude of the country.

All of the above can be done by someone living in the county side (you just drive to the places instead of walk bar the pub where you organise a lift home (easy if it’s the local a few km away), get a taxi or stay with a friend if going out in town). I personally don’t see the massive attraction in being able to walk to all the places cited above bar the pub, even when I lived in the city I normally drove to these places as it’s just handier. Also as most work in the city a lot of the things listed would be done on the way home from work anyway so doesn’t even involve a specific trip.

On the other hand when you head home you are away from the noise, people, light pollution etc of the city and also have the advantage of a much bigger house, garages/sheds and large private grounds with no parking worries etc. your neigbours are often your family or relations too so no issue with all sorts moving in next door, having solcial housing near by etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

I Was VB wrote: »
    Ever get tired of city life? I know I have, Currently living in south dublin city centre and working in north Dublin, I’m tired of a hour sitting in traffic each way to get to work, tired of paying €3.50 per hour for parking, tired of little scruffs thinking they are gangsters, tired of junkies, cyclists, not having change out of two pints from a tenner (I know it’s been that way for ages) tired of walking Instagram accounts, tired of people looking down thier nose at people who have a €20 less than them in thier pockets, tired of trials by social media, tired of knocked together houses being sold for €500k just because of the postcode*

I would not move to country side, at least to what I understand irish country side is. I need my broadband, a good job within 10 mins drive, decent common transport, nice restaurants, cinema, shops ... I don't have the big fat capital salary I would get for my role in DUB, but I put more value on owning what I do with my time off work (+ not wasting it in traffic)
    But this is where I noticed there is an inconsistency in OP: instead of moving out to the country side, have you thought of looking for a job where you live, or moving closer to work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

All of the above can be done by someone living in the county side (you just drive to the places instead of walk bar the pub where you organise a lift home (easy if it’s the local a few km away), get a taxi or stay with a friend if going out in town). I personally don’t see the massive attraction in being able to walk to all the places cited above bar the pub, even when I lived in the city I normally drove to these places as it’s just handier. Also as most work in the city a lot of the things listed would be done on the way home from work anyway so doesn’t even involve a specific trip.

On the other hand when you head home you are away from the noise, people, light pollution etc of the city and also have the advantage of a much bigger house, garages/sheds and large private grounds with no parking worries etc. your neigbours are often your family or relations too so no issue with all sorts moving in next door, having solcial housing near by etc.

But I like being able to walk or have the option of public transport. I don't like driving unless I need to.
    There is far more choice of things to do and amenities in a city like Dublin.
    I like the people around me. They aren't noisy. Light pollution? Dublin suburbs aren't Shenshen, I can see stars and the moon just fine.
    I don't see a bigger house as an attraction, I probably have too much space as it is to be honest. I don't like to accumulate junk.
    No parking issues where I am, it's a quiet cul de sac.

I like to visit the countryside and there is some lovely parts of Cork I like but I wouldn't live there.

The way I see it, there are many Urban folks that would prefer to live in the countryside. However it's very rare for a Rural dweller to want to move back to the city.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

FFred wrote: »
    Bleedin scarla' for you when you wake up with the fear and read your silly posts :pac:

? Its almost as if afterhours is a joke forum and i did that specifically to show how cringy people in here are for taking this forum like its serious discourse.

As someone who has been in formal panels of debate, I find the posters here very laughable. Its also not a coincidence that the same simple minded folk are the ones promoting the slow (dull) country life, because its dim enough to appease their low IQ brains

Its pretty meta, but its true. You gotta read what people are actually saying.

I hope you're being ironic with 'bleedin scarla' though

? Its almost as if afterhours is a joke forum and i did that specifically to show how cringy people in here are for taking this forum like its serious discourse.

As someone who has been in formal panels of debate, I find the posters here very laughable. Its also not a coincidence that the same simple minded folk are the ones promoting the slow (dull) country life, because its dim enough to appease their low IQ brains

Its pretty meta, but its true. You gotta read what people are actually saying.

Are you on Boards during school or do you and the other students get to finish school early on a Friday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I get it y'all. You cant stand conflict, never could. That's why when you're brought to a place thats all about competition (for money, for pussy, for fame) you just cant hack it.

Truth is, you're never gonna make it. Never will. You might aswell lay down and surrender (Go to the countryside and be alone so no one can hurt your fee fees).

You cant hack it in the arena. Here in Dublin, its a young man's game. The worn and tired slink away quietly to moldy pubs to complain about whoever they cant fight (Liberals? Immigrants? Feminists).

Thats what you are. Worn. You used to be a sharp knife. But you lost your edge. This is the time of our lives and your death.

Wow, you don't half come across as an arrogant little wànker.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Bobblehats wrote: »
    F*cking pee diddely up in da house :o and where exactly might you taking us good sir; the bronx?

So you finally got it figured out huh? You talked the talk and walked the walk. You beat the best and killed the rest. You took all the cards until you finally became the dealer.

Well guess what? Now everyones playing chess.

You better watch your back. Its a dog eat dog world out there, Bob. And im the f*cking chinaman
    Lad stop, I know in your head it sounds cool, but you're making a show of yourself.

:pac:

Are you on Boards during school or do you and the other students get to finish school early on a Friday?

Ive actually submitted my masters thesis on fluid dynamics a week ago. How about you? How many gourds you pick today?

Lad stop, I know in your head it sounds cool, but you're making a show of yourself.

Brainlet

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

talosiannn.jpg

Ive actually submitted my masters thesis on fluid dynamics a week ago. How about you? How many gourds you pick today?

More like your Transition Year mini company end of year report.

No gourds picked here Today!

I have to say son, you are very entertaining. You deserve a whole thread to yourself for us to take the piss(fluid) out of you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

It's for some people and not for others.
    If you want to go to Brown Thomas, Starbucks, Zara, etc every few days then it's probably not for you.

This is nonsense though.

No matter where you live in Ireland, you are probably only an hour or less from these amenities.

• Advertisement

J Mysterio wrote: »
    This is nonsense though.

No matter where you live in Ireland, you are probably only an hour or less from these amenities.

I understand you.
    I live about an 1 hour away from Limerick and under an hour from Cork. They're close enough for me.
    However it's a excuse I've heard about why city life is so good. They can either walk to these shops or it's a short journey. Some people want to go to these places several times a month if not week and a hour is to far.

Advertisement