Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weapons Culture in Ireland

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

There's a lot of stupid rules though - I've got a shotgun and it's licenced. I've passed whatever tests the Gardai do on you to get the licence, so in their eyes, I'm ok to own a shotgun. Yet if I wanted to but a different shotgun instead after owning my one for a year or so, I'd need to apply all over again!

It makes it easier for the Gardai to monitor and keep a register of all legally held firearms in the state. Ask licensed arms holders to kindly register any of their new firearms with them and some will skip it. Make it an offence not to have a license for new firearms and people will register.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

I've fired several handguns. I wish I could own one for self defence and for leisure. I am really considering moving to the US because I want the freedom I am denied here. I want to be able to arm myself. Have my home and be able to protect it. To be able to say whatever I like without reprimand from the government.

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings??? **** off.

Move to Czech Republic or Switzerland. They have more lax gun laws than an awful lot of US states.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

In 2 weeks i will fire a gun in vegas for the first time. I go airsoft a few times which is a kind of simulation for the real deal. I would never like to legalise guns here as thatd be ridicilous.

Lets leave the freakshow 'muricans to their guns

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

MarkY91 wrote: »
    In 2 weeks i will fire a gun in vegas for the first time. I go airsoft a few times which is a kind of simulation for the real deal. I would never like to legalise guns here as thatd be ridicilous.

Lets leave the freakshow 'muricans to their guns
    You do realise guns are already legal in ireland? There is a few hundred thousand of them in the hands of civilians for hunting and target shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

How does one go about getting involved in shooting, whether hunting or target, in Ireland if you don't know any one else currently involved and live in a town without your own land to shoot on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,420 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

How does one go about getting involved in shooting, whether hunting or target, in Ireland if you don't know any one else currently involved and live in a town without your own land to shoot on?

Get to know some farmers or join a gun club or a range.

Strider wrote: »
    Get to know some farmers or join a gun club or a range.
    Would it be normal for someone to join a club if they didn't have a gun? Would it not be like joining a biker gang without a motorbike?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,420 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Would it be normal for someone to join a club if they didn't have a gun? Would it not be like joining a biker gang without a motorbike?

Most people that join don't have a gun, the club is how they get one.

Thanks, I'll look into it locally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

swiftblade wrote: »
    Shooting a .22 into trees is a no, no.

Who said about shooting into trees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Thanks, I'll look into it locally.

From the Shooting forum Important & Useful Information thread:
    Details and Contacts for Clay Pigeon Clubs and Rifle/Pistol Ranges in Ireland

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I would never like to legalise guns here as thatd be ridicilous.

Civilians have been able to own licensed firearms in the ROI since the foundation of the state. Due to the fact that licensed firearms holders respect and uphold the law people like you don't even realize that there are in excess of 200,000 legally held sporting firearms owned by civilians in the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Vowel Movement

I've fired a .177 at my uncle's a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Nucular Arms

I love shooting guns.

It's like having two penises, but one of them has the ability to kill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

There are a large amount of unlicensed and illegally held firearms in the state. Anything from .22 and across the whole spectrum. To think otherwise is silly.

I agree that it is not necessary for every citizen to have a firearm, just for the sake of it. There really is no need. The argument of owning a firearm for "self defence" purposes is a weak one.

If it were the case that we could all legally own one for self defence, I believe that gun crime, accidental shootings and spontaneous or shootings caused by lapses of emotional judgement would be prevalent. That's not a society in which I would like to live.

Having various firearms for sporting / hunting / recreational use is fine by me, It's legitimate. Most firearms holders are responsible people with no nefarious reasons for having one.

I'm happy that the majority of AGS are not armed. Even the most well trained can get caught up in a tense moment and needlessly fire a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Darpa

Samaris wrote: »

Have you ever fired a gun?

Yes, thousands of rounds
    Would you like to be able to freely carry a weapon?

No, because then every guaranteed clem who the state could not uncover a reason to prevent them owning a gun, would get to own one as well, and that would be an absolute disaster for Irish society. Anyone who wants fondle guns at home or carry them in public is exactly the same type that should be banned from having them.

In a free, well run and policed society there is no need for guns at home or on the streets. I am extremely well training in firearms and yet I would hate the thought over ever evening having to keep one at home, never mind carry one around. I hope Ireland never degenerates to that level.

Do you have any training in weapons?

Thousands of hours in total

Would you be more or less comfortable with a more openly "weaponised" society, more freedom to own a gun or carry it, the police being more likely to be armed - and consequently, more criminal gun use.

Precisely because of the experience I have had and seen with weapons, absolutely not.
    It does no national society any good to up the arms race between its citizens.

Advertisement