Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FAI were paid after Thierry Henry handball, says John Delaney

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Roger_007 wrote: »
    If it doesn't appear in the accounts, then there are many more questions to answer.:eek:

It could only be hidden by someone who is a skilled accountant...perhaps someone who was Financial controller of the FAI at some stage.
    Oh wait.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Warper wrote: »
    Delaney has to go because of this along with the others who obviously benefitted from this.
    But like all the politicians etc who "have to go" they will just wander off without a care in the world.
    He should go to jail and have his a huge fine. Won't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

To paraphrase the man himself...
    Blatter Delaney has had a hell of a run at it. But surely he knows, in his private moments, he must know, that outside of the voting chambers, that the world, the football public, the players and supporters, want change.
    Delaney really does have a stunning lack of self awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The ironing would be delicious is we managed to qualify for the Euros, but then get kicked out because of this €5m scandal...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

whiskeyman wrote: »
    The ironing would be delicious is we managed to qualify for the Euros, but then get kicked out because of this €5m scandal...
    Then delany will be forced to resign on an obscene pansion and massive golden handshake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

The whole debacle of the Henry handball is one of the most embarrassing episodes ever for this country. The antics of Delaney made me ashamed to be Irish. It is now made even worse by the fact that FAI were 'paid off' by FIFA to keep them from whinging.
    There was never any possibility of a court case. If that were the case, every other match would end up in court over some referring decision.
    Delaney is a national embarrassment, and a vastly overpaid one at that.

I'm confused here.
    You say yourself Delaney didn't really have a leg to stand on - yet he somehow managed to wangle 5 million out of fifa. Where I come from that's called a fúcking good result.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I actually think the FAI did fairly well out of it, but if there is any possibility of a controversy that means Delaney has to go, then I am outraged by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I'm confused here.
    You say yourself Delaney didn't really have a leg to stand on - yet he somehow managed to wangle 5 million out of fifa. Where I come from that's called a fúcking good result.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. If he did get 5 million, there would be strings attached. This is what we need to know. Also, what happened to the money? Why does it not appear in the accounts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Why does it not appear in the accounts?
    It probably does .... in the Profit & Loss Account as a performance related bonus. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

Why would he announce this right now just as FIFA are under huge scrutiny. More to this than meets the eye I think.

Also John Delaney is very good friends with Denis O'Brien, another man who is under huge scrutiny over other issues at the moment hence J.D's platform in the independent where he has the platfrom to spout what he likes.

John Delaney could run Uefa :pac:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/exclusive-video-john-the-baptist-part-2-30565166.html

• Advertisement

The 5m "loan" is about 0.1% believable. Until they said they wrote it off because Ireland didn't qualify. You'd want to be more moronic to believe somebody would put such a clause into a loan than to actually give out the loan in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

osarusan wrote: »
    I actually think the FAI did fairly well out of it, but if there is any possibility of a controversy that means Delaney has to go, then I am outraged by it.

I think it's time for a change regardless, the role really should be for a fixed term like 5 years. Delaney has been head of the organisation since 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

There is no such thing as a free lunch. If he did get 5 million, there would be strings attached. This is what we need to know. Also, what happened to the money? Why does it not appear in the accounts?

It is in the accounts I'm sure but it seems to have been buried in turnover as opposed to being declared as an exceptional item.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

This sh1t was reported on a year ago but just everyone continue with their faux outrage

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/world-cup-fifa-bought-irish-silence-5m-pay-080222869--sow.html

VinLieger wrote: »
    This sh1t was reported on a year ago but just everyone continue with their faux outrage

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/world-cup-fifa-bought-irish-silence-5m-pay-080222869--sow.html
    So nobody can possibly be actually outraged?
    Did the FAI admit to the payment when it was reported? Nope. So this is news.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    So nobody can possibly be actually outraged?
    Did the FAI admit to the payment when it was reported? Nope. So this is news.

Why was nobody outraged when it was originally revealed nearly a year ago? Why was there not the same public outcry then to find out if they did or not?

Anyway it doesnt matter, they are not accountable to anyone and they got a damn good deal as they had no legal leg to stand on no matter what delany will say. The only reason to be outraged is if it turns out the money was funneled into delany's and his cronies pockets but that has not been proven yet

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibaba

What a pity there hasn't been a few more hand balls...

We could have paid off the National Debt ! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

VinLieger wrote: »
    Why was nobody outraged when it was originally revealed nearly a year ago? Why was there not the same public outcry then to find out if they did or not?

The reason it was back in the news one year later is down to Delaney himself. He went on the Ray D'arcy Show last week and boasted about going into a meeting with Blatter, throwing a few expleptives around and walking out with 5 million. Hardly the wisest thing to bring up the same week the FBI is busting down FIFA's door.

The same Delaney who was preaching to the world about the need for transparency signed the confidentiality clause to keep that 5 million euro deal secret.

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    The reason it was back in the news one year later is down to Delaney himself. He went on the Ray D'arcy Show last week and boasted about going into a meeting with Blatter, throwing a few expleptives around and walking out with 5 million. Hardly the wisest thing to bring up the same week the FBI is busting down FIFA's door.

The same Delaney who was preaching to the world about the need for transparency signed the confidentiality clause to keep that 5 million euro deal secret.

I know he went on the radio to do it but the fact is if any of the people complaining actually had an interest in any of this they would have known about the story a year ago instead behaving like the faux outrage bandwagoners they are jumping on board cus its the fashionable news story this week

What your saying is he should have turned down the 5 mil so he could tell everyone he was offered it but refused it cus he wanted to be transparent? The EXACT same people pissing and moaning about how it actually went down would be criticising him if he hadn't taken the 5 mil for that reason

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Personally can't understand the big issue, the money is accounted for, put towards our new national stadium.

The alternative is .......?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

..Integrity.

..Integrity.

Is overrated, also it doesn't cover the funding hole the FAI were experiencing with the Aviva at that time thanks to the recession

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭The Dark Side

It's most amusing watching the various commentators and media outlets attempting to whip themselves into a froth of indignation over this matter.

Nobody has quite managed to vocalise any sound arguments about what we're supposed to be outraged by exactly.

The fact that this story is a year old tells you all you need to know about it's importance, only reason it's being re-hashed is because of our tabloid media culture and the recent FIFA arrests on an unrelated matter.

I think it's time for a change regardless, the role really should be for a fixed term like 5 years. Delaney has been head of the organisation since 2004.

Sure. I want Delaney out for other reasons which I think are more serious and compelling than this.

But he wasn't ousted after those things, so if it takes some criticism over rebel songs or issues over payments+integrity to get him out, I am all for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

He's great at his job nobody can deny that no matter how much you dislike john Delaney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Personally can't understand the big issue, the money is accounted for, put towards our new national stadium.

The alternative is .......?

It went into the Bertie bowl?

lukesmom wrote: »
    He's great at his job
    He absolutely isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

lukesmom wrote: »
    He's great at his job nobody can deny that no matter how much you dislike john Delaney.

Great by what measure?
    The domestic league is dying a death. Teams have to pay for their own medals for our cup competitions.
    Youth football is held together in spite of the FAI by the good work of unpaid volunteers. The main development opportunity is to hope that an English team signs our stars.
    Most home international games are not sold out despite tickets been 30% cheaper than in 2007.
    And yet Delaney is paid more than the chiefs of the Italian and Spanish FAs...combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

It's most amusing watching the various commentators and media outlets attempting to whip themselves into a froth of indignation over this matter.

Nobody has quite managed to vocalise any sound arguments about what we're supposed to be outraged by exactly.

The fact that this story is a year old tells you all you need to know about it's importance, only reason it's being re-hashed is because of our tabloid media culture and the recent FIFA arrests on an unrelated matter.

Guilty by association seems to be the main motivation on this one.

Delaney got €5mil for nothing. That's it . . People can waffle about whether or not it should of been paid, but that's for FIFA to clarify, not the FAI. Why shouldn't the FAI take the money? What, because part of the deal is that they cant disclose the deal? Who cares if the funds are appropriated to the association?

And you are correct, people have gotten themselves all Joe Duffied up with rage, they actually don't know why they are so upset. Its not a crime to be a hypocrite. In fact, its one of the most common traits of EVERYBODY - self righteous indignation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Drumpot wrote: »
    Guilty by association seems to be the main motivation on this one.

Delaney got €5mil for nothing. That's it . . People can waffle about whether or not it should of been paid, but that's for FIFA to clarify, not the FAI. Why shouldn't the FAI take the money? What, because part of the deal is that they cant disclose the deal? Who cares if the funds are appropriated to the association?

And you are correct, people have gotten themselves all Joe Duffied up with rage, they actually don't know why they are so upset. Its not a crime to be a hypocrite. In fact, its one of the most common traits of EVERYBODY - self righteous indignation.

I thought the money was to not take legal proceedings ?

Advertisement