Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Hazards of Belief

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Darwin award perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

robindch wrote:
    Obviously he didn't have enough faith :rolleyes:

In fairness to the church they do discourage this type of behaviour, since they know that "revelations from God you personnally" can get one into a lot of trouble. They don't want everyone running off buildings or setting themselves on fire trying to get God to save them

Same reason suicide is a sin, other wise everyone would just top themselves and go straight to heaven.

Wicknight wrote:
    Same reason suicide is a sin, other wise everyone would just top themselves and go straight to heaven.

Thats why suicide cults are so short lived. You have to wonder tho about sucide bombers, they're religious fanatics but probably no more than many fundie christians. Can we expect the religion with the most non-suicidal (also includes going to war to fight for god etc) leanings or the more pro-active aggressive types to survive? Hamilton's Doves and Hawks I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

5uspect wrote:
    Thats why suicide cults are so short lived.

One has to see the funny side of that statement.:D I guess one could say the purpose of these suicide cults is meant to be short lived.

yeah I mean why try to compete with the big three when you can go out in a blaze of CNN glory as a modern day messiah. The other religions only have ceremony and prayer and faith there's no fun in that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The hazards of atheism:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkLFG0CtdEo

(we'll forgive the misspelling :))

Maybe we should create a religion called "aetheism" where we worship a pink china unicorn or something. Then we would have a belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

There was I thinking that the Vatican and the Catholic church didn't do enough against Hitler and the Nazis. Turns out I was wrong, they did act against Hitler!
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=402602&in_page_id=1770

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

pH wrote:
    There was I thinking that the Vatican and the Catholic church didn't do enough against Hitler and the Nazis. Turns out I was wrong, they did act against Hitler!
    "According to secret Vatican documents recently released wartime pontiff Pope Pius XII attempted a "long distance" exorcism of Hitler which failed to have any effect."

That reminds me of a Father Ted episode I saw this week. Dougal is stuck on the milkfloat with the bomb, and Ted is formulating plans to help him with the other priests.

In the next scene all the priests are saying mass for Dougal on a trailer moving alongside the milkfloat... :D

In the next scene all the priests are saying mass for Dougal on a trailer moving alongside the milkfloat... :D
    Bummer, I have searcheed the internet and can find no clips of Farther Ted, it never made it to Japan. Anybody got any links?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Asiaprod wrote:
    Bummer, I have searcheed the internet and can find no clips of Farther Ted, it never made it to Japan. Anybody got any links?
    Ends just before the "mass" scene but you get the idea!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDDLGnpHRgw

Not sure if anybody remembers the city council of Lubbock, Texas asking everybody in the city to pray for rain back in July?

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?StoryID=20060724-063818-3430r

..but, Ask And You Shall Receive (Luke 11:9):

http://www.kcbd.com/Global/story.asp?S=5393313&nav=3w6y

"Coincidence? I think not." explained the mayor of the town with some of the nation's most irritating rules on sex ed, and completely co-incidentally, some of the nation's highest rates of STD's and other misadventures too. God's way of saying "Evolution? Schmevolution!", I suppose.

Ends just before the "mass" scene but you get the idea!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDDLGnpHRgw
    Wonderful, thanks, that was hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

There is a film coming out called Jesus Camp. Trailer Here. Interesting/frightening stuff.

Also, did anyone watch The Doo***ay Code on channel 4, earlier today (16th sep)? Very interesting program on Armageddon, end of the world and people who are trying to bring it about. Covered everything from America’s support of Israel to the fact that the book of revelation was written by a refugee on mushrooms, on an island in Greece!!

I cant write doo***ay??? WTF

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

There is a film coming out called Jesus Camp. Trailer Here. Interesting/frightening stuff.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054986278

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

Playboy wrote:
    ye a community of smart asses who get to together to pat each other on the back about how intelligent they are in comparison to theists and laugh at the misfortune of the mentally ill.

Ok. I'm in. Where are the meetings held? A pub close to a church I hope!

We could meet on Sundays and point and laugh at the people going in and out. If they have a problem with it, we'll ask them to love and forgive us as Jesus taught them to do. Then we can laugh some more. I'm sure it would take many minutes before some good Christian cracks and glasses one of us.

Not quite a hazard of belief, more a hazard for believers' cash:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5391978.stm

$8.6 million missing over 40 years and it only came to light two years ago? Wow!

robindch wrote:
    Not quite a hazard of belief, more a hazard for believers' cash:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5391978.stm

$8.6 million missing over 40 years and it only came to light two years ago? Wow!

LOL :D

"That money was only resting in my account!"

Once again Father Ted comes fightingly close to predicting reality. How does anyone take the Catholic church as an institution seriously :rolleyes:

Then we can laugh some more.

I would point that I will not be limiting my laughter at just the misfortune of just the mentally ill. I will be laughing at the misfortune of everyone :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Ok. I'm in. Where are the meetings held? A pub close to a church I hope!

We could meet on Sundays and point and laugh at the people going in and out. If they have a problem with it, we'll ask them to love and forgive us as Jesus taught them to do. Then we can laugh some more. I'm sure it would take many minutes before some good Christian cracks and glasses one of us.

I'm sure God would forgive them for glassing you. Thats the great thing about being a christian .. ur allowed to make mistakes and all you have to do is say sorry :p

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Asiaprod wrote:

If you haven't see all of Father Ted, then go buy them!

Beruthiel wrote:
    If you haven't see all of Father Ted, then go buy them!
    Thank you, just ordered the complete set:)

> $8.6 million missing over 40 years and it only came to light two years ago?

More on that story:

http://www.local6.com/news/10025428/detail.html
    he saw himself as the CEO of a multimillion-dollar company who wasn't properly compensated, according to a search warrant.
    !

So what exactly constitutes a theological hypotheis and how does it become a theological theory? Surely if an atheist became pope (imagine!) or a pope an atheist, then there would be some great rethinking done.

> So what exactly constitutes a theological hypotheis and how does it become
    > a theological theory?

How long is a piece of theological string? Ophelia Benson addressed this spaghetti-like topic on her blog a couple of days ago:

http://www.butterfliesandwheels.com/notes.php (search for 'Infallible cannoli')
    Okay - you've got your Vatican commission of theologians, thirty of them, and they have been 'examining' limbo. They've been what? What does that mean? How have they been examining limbo? They've been looking at it through a telescope? Through a microscope? Both at once? Both in alternation? Fifteen theologians on the tele and fifteen on the micro, and they combine their findings? Or they X-ray it? Run it through an MRI scan? Shave off bits of it for radio-carbon dating? Or is it that they sit limbo down and ask it a lot of questions? Or do they give it a written exam, with two hours to complete it and proctors walking up and down to prevent cheating? Or what?

Well, apparently none of those, since the pope is going to abolish the concept itself, which would seem to hint that there's nothing physical or material to examine. But then what? What does it mean for theologians to examine limbo? To talk about it, apparently, and decide whether they feel like believing in it or not.
    ...which I suppose is pretty close to what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

reuters wrote:
    KIEV
    "The man shouted 'God will save me, if he exists',

God disagreed.

So sad how Ukraine suffered under Atheism.
    http://www.infoukes.com/history/famine/

> So sad how Ukraine suffered under Atheism.

If you check out the history of this very closely, you'll find that the famine was engineered by Stalin for political reasons.

More generally, I commented upon this class of religious attack upon atheism yesterday in this post, paraphrased as:
    There's an interesting disparity here -- in the religious believer's mind, any time that an atheist commits a crime, atheism is somehow to blame. But whenever a believer-in-god commits a crime, it's the person at fault and not the religious system. Failure of people, but never systems? All very Orwellian, isn't it?
    More generally, religious morality tends to be directly threat/reward-based, which is pretty primitive really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Asiaprod wrote:
    You're missing out on so much :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement