Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nuclear Energy

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm not entirely convinced about Wave energy myself.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b6/Global_energy_potential_perez_2009_en.svg

As we're not exactly bathed in year-round sunlight, we definitely need to play to our strengths, and we certainly have a lot of Atlantic coastline. But I'm not convinced that the cost and availability of wave energy can match our wind potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I'm kind of in two minds about this one. I am for Nuclear Energy but I'm not sure that it makes the best sense for Ireland. I definitely don't think it is something we should blanket ignore and maybe some of the newer reactors would suit us or possibly some sort of a joint operation with UK.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I agree with you, but the likelihood of Ireland being the one to crack the code on industrial nuclear fusion is incredibly unlikely. Any resources we could devote to it would be dwarfed by other nations.

Yes, depleted uranium is quite damaging if it gets into the locality. However, it is quite unlikely for that to happen. Of course there are examples of it happening, but it is not catastrophic and those are usually mismanaged/failed oversight.

Well, that's the thing about probability, isn't it?

Is it likely to happen now? No. Is it likely to happen within the next decade? Not really. The next century? Still unlikely. The next millenium? Impossible to say.

The probability of radiation from depleted uranium being released into the environment steadily increases as time will go on. And let's face it, we have absolutely no idea - not the foggiest - what this world will look like in 100 years, let alone 1000 years. What we are dealing with can only be described in geological time scales, yet we presume it'll be safe.
    We are leaving future generations quite a legacy there, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭SummerSummit

We are well ahead.A €15m wave research building is set to open this year.

Not doing too bad on the wind side of things either.

Our population is too small in Ireland to be considering nuclear and we dont need the risk and the cost.

Wave power will never work. There has been no commercial plant anywhere in the world. Think about it, you need to place huge mechancial structures in the ocean's to extract any useful amounts of power. The enormous cost and low design life makes it unworkable.

Wind power is a scam. It relies on taxes, grants and levies to survive. Ireland has one of the highest unit of electricity prices in the EU. Ireland has the following supports for Wind:

- Carbon Taxes (a made up tax on carbon to artifically raise the cost of fossils)
    - PSO levies (look at your next ESB bill)
    - guaranteed high tarriffs for wind suppliers
    - guaranteed access to the grid for wind, meaning more efficient & cheaper gas power plants has to switch off to allow access to the grid whenever the wind decides to blow

Wind has never and will never close a fossil power plant. It is unreliable and will always need 100% backup.

Wind turbines have also been shown to release more carbon dioxide then they save as most turbines are built on peat boglands. The turbines, access roads, substations, powerlines etc dry up the peat bogs which releases the stored carbon (bogs are natural carbon sinks). Lookup "Avoid constructing wind farms on peat" in the Journal 'Nature'

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Fcukan Democrats are always agin the prospectin', con-sarnit.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Electric Boobs

shane9689 wrote: »
    nuclear power just isnt worth the risk. You can have all the worlds finest saftey measures in place, but the risk will always be there when it comes to nuclear energy. Its only energy, its not worth losing our entire Island over it.

as the previous poster said, theres lots of other options that havent been fully explored yet that have practically no risk. the worst a wind turbine or wave turbine can do is fall over.
    Well look at shane... acting so practical and sain. When in reality he's just lazy, inexperienced and unorganised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Enjoy Heroin Responsibly

At the risk of digging up old opinions (the last thread was over 2 years old), I'm just wondering as to people's opinions upon nuclear energy.

Nuclear power bah !

What we need is nuclear WEAPONS -the most glorious weapons ever invented.

If we are to be taken seriously as a country we need to be prepared to throw our weight around on the world stage so dig up that uranium and start enriching now

Advertisement