Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Walker WP645TS-HD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

inc21 wrote: »
    Are they using this box for recording?

I find on my box it freezes a lot when I use EPG to record. So to avoid freezing I set up timers instead and that seems to work well.

Nope, apparently its just flicking through the channels that causes it..

I showed her how to use timers and that seems to work fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

zefer wrote: »
    Nope, apparently its just flicking through the channels that causes it..

I showed her how to use timers and that seems to work fine

channel change issue has been mentioned here alright and to be honest box is a bit sluggish at times (i am on 3.8).

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

zefer wrote: »
    I bought a couple of these for my mam and upgraded to firmware v3.8 via usb

Everytime I go to the house now, she says that the box keeps freezing and she has to pull the plug to get it back on again. She says it might happen 2 or 3 times in an evening. I have a feeling it might be because she is flicking through the remote too quickly and have told her to slow down with it but the last time I was there, she says it happened even with going through menu's slowly

Anyone ever seen this or know a fix?

Yep, mine was freezing up regularly as well. Brought it back to the shop and worked like a charm when yer man tested it. Brought it home again and same problems. Eventually realised that it was the external drive causing it. Hard drive plugged out, works fine. Hard drive plugged in, freezes up.

I originally bought a hard drive specifically for it, and the Walker wouldn't even recognise it. So I tried a different drive and it worked ok. Well, reasonably ok. Around half of all timed recordings failed. But then, the freezing started. At this stage I'm just going to give up on the recording functionality.

This device seems to have major problems with hard drives (reported by others also).

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭FatBeard

I see saorview are broadcasting the 3.8 upgrade again. I wonder is it the same 3.8 or possibly a 3.8.1 but not reported correctly on the site?

http://is.gd/FyzRQL

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Avenger GT

Has anyone had a problem with the volume control of these boxes not working properly on BBC, ITV, & CH4 HD transmissions. It operates like a switch, i.e. going from zero volume to maximum volume on the first segment of the volume graphic. It works normally on Russia Today and NHK HD channels and on all non HD channels.

• Advertisement

FatBeard wrote: »
    I see saorview are broadcasting the 3.8 upgrade again. I wonder is it the same 3.8 or possibly a 3.8.1 but not reported correctly on the site?

http://is.gd/FyzRQL

Had to downgrade to 3.3 before it would update over the air. Bit turns out it's the same 3.8. Unfortunate considering the box does all I want it to but the bugs make it unusable.

Gonna try dropping the hard drive in favour of USB flash to see will it solve problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭elsie1b

Had to downgrade to 3.3 before it would update over the air. Bit turns out it's the same 3.8. Unfortunate considering the box does all I want it to but the bugs make it unusable.

Gonna try dropping the hard drive in favour of USB flash to see will it solve problem.
    Begs the question how a box so riddled with bugs in many software updates could have passed saorview approval process ?

Ya. That thought had crossed my mind. One of the reasons I thought this firmware broadcast would sort my problems. They need to get better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

I'm amazed they haven't done anything with the firmware in quite some time as its been version 3.8 for months.

Ya, I know, hopefully there will be an update soon. Anyone try finding a firmware for the Vestel TS7100. I believe it's the same box?

• Advertisement

Ya, I know, hopefully there will be an update soon. Anyone try finding a firmware for the Vestel TS7100. I believe it's the same box?

The Walker, Normende 4life and finlux boxes and probably countless other names are all made by Vestel....so it probably is the same box...I think they own the Normende name as well themselves but could be wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Antenna

Avenger GT wrote: »
    Has anyone had a problem with the volume control of these boxes not working properly on BBC, ITV, & CH4 HD transmissions. It operates like a switch, i.e. going from zero volume to maximum volume on the first segment of the volume graphic.

I tried one of these boxes for this - volume seemed to behave OK on those HD channels. This trying both audio on HDMI and SCART.
    Are you using the S/PDIF optical digital audio output? (I couldn't try that)
    It works normally on Russia Today and NHK HD channels

The audio on them is the same as SD channels - MP2.
    SD-only FTA satellite receivers I have can tune them in and play the sound without picture (A Lidl one I have puts HD TV channels in the Radio list), whilst no sound as well as no picture on BBC etc HD channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭dkane

I'm looking for a combo box preferably Saorview approved and 7-day EPG on Satellite.
    With those requirements in mind is the WP645TS-HD the best receiver available?

Would you recommend this box or an alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

dkane wrote: »
    I'm looking for a combo box preferably Saorview approved and 7-day EPG on Satellite.

I think the Walker you mention is the only one that meets your requirements.

Best approved box with this function but far from being the best as it suffers from regular freeze ups when recording....if you don't need recording its not a bad box...

however you have to press a button on the remote to switch between Saorview and the Sat4free option which can be annoying...

An alternative would be a linux based box such as amiko alien 2 etc discussed in depth in other threads on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭zg3409

In general it is a low cost combo box. Only the Saorview side is approved. The satellite side is not freesat approved. On some versions of firmware there is a SatFree mode, which 'steals' the 7 day guide from the BBC/Freesat and displays it. This firmware can be a bit buggy. Also the region is hard set to London (you cannot change it)

There is no official Freesat combo box. They only make satellite only models, so you would need a 2 box solution.

Some of the linux based boxes can also steal the 7 day satellite guide from Freesat, or download it via an internet connection. The main issue with these is no-one supplies them ready to go for the Irish market, so you need to know how to set up the box and it becomes more of a hobby than a fit and forget solution. That being said, when up and running they offer the following

1) One seamless channel list between Saorview and Sat (you need to press OPT on Walker)

2) Auto updating when channels move transponder (on certain setups)(Walker asks you)

3) Access to non freesat Satellite channels without a 7 day guide seamlessly

If you do not know what an IP and FTP is, then I would leave them alone.

If recording is important to you then there are other factors to consider, such as ability to record one channel while watching another, and possibly series linking of shows. Personally I prefer a two box solution with a single universal remote which allows series linking and genuine Saorview PVR and Freesat PVR, but it will set you back 500 Euro. This setup allows recording 2 Saorview channels and 2 Freesat channels at the same time. The good point is there is no software to mess with.

zg3409 wrote: »
    In general it is a low cost combo box. Only the Saorview side is approved. The satellite side is not freesat approved. On some versions of firmware there is a SatFree mode, which 'steals' the 7 day guide from the BBC/Freesat and displays it. This firmware can be a bit buggy. Also the region is hard set to London (you cannot change it)

There is no official Freesat combo box. They only make satellite only models, so you would need a 2 box solution.

Some of the linux based boxes can also steal the 7 day satellite guide from Freesat, or download it via an internet connection. The main issue with these is no-one supplies them ready to go for the Irish market, so you need to know how to set up the box and it becomes more of a hobby than a fit and forget solution. That being said, when up and running they offer the following

1) One seamless channel list between Saorview and Sat (you need to press OPT on Walker)

2) Auto updating when channels move transponder (on certain setups)(Walker asks you)

3) Access to non freesat Satellite channels without a 7 day guide seamlessly

If you do not know what an IP and FTP is, then I would leave them alone.

If recording is important to you then there are other factors to consider, such as ability to record one channel while watching another, and possibly series linking of shows. Personally I prefer a two box solution with a single universal remote which allows series linking and genuine Saorview PVR and Freesat PVR, but it will set you back 500 Euro. This setup allows recording 2 Saorview channels and 2 Freesat channels at the same time. The good point is there is no software to mess with.

You can change the london region to anything u want for the bbcs....havent got one in front of me but bring up the channel list and scroll to the last option on the right customise lcn i think?? and you can pick whatever bbc you want on 101.very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭dkane

Thanks for the responses.
    The box is for my parents, I want something that is easy to setup and isn't going to need a lot of re-tuning when channels change transponder etc.

If it was for myself I would go for an amiko alien 2 but for them I want something that is not going to result in me getting a load of calls to come fix it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ray Soular

Hi all, anyone with the Walker WP645TS-HD have problems with the 'Satfree' channels freezing constantly? Find any solutions?

Ray Soular wrote: »
    Hi all, anyone with the Walker WP645TS-HD have problems with the 'Satfree' channels freezing constantly? Find any solutions?

Some people being reported box freezes due to recording .....have you a hard drive or usb inserted, try removing it when not in use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Grats

Can somebody guide me please?

I already have 3.8 installed and at the time of installing I also used the refined list of channels. For some reason I lost ALL channels over the weekend. I did a quick autoscan which of course brought in hundreds of channels. Where can I get the refined list again and install them via usb? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

Grats wrote: »
    Can somebody guide me please?

I already have 3.8 installed and at the time of installing I also used the refined list of channels. For some reason I lost ALL channels over the weekend. I did a quick autoscan which of course brought in hundreds of channels. Where can I get the refined list again and install them via usb? Thanks.

in install section choose sat free scan. And sat free with OPT button after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Guys,

I have this box for about 1 year now. Find it grand. Updated the firmware to 3.8 (I think !!), anyway about 2 Months ago when RTE started messing about with RTE1 (I think they made it HD) I lost RTE1 and RTE1+1 entirely.

I have re-scanned the channels a couple of times and have now got them back. But they are not where they used to be. RTE1 no longer in the first channel spot on the Channel list anymore. They are somewhere about 8 or 9 now. If I move it with the Menu>Channel list>"Move" function .. it moves, but the EPG does not move with it .. all its says is "Re-scan required"

So what I have now is

RTE1
    RTE1+1

(neither with a EPG, both just say 'rescan required')

and then on two other channels I have the EPG for RTE1, RTE1+1 (with no picture)

Anybody else come accross this problem ? and solve it ?

having the proper Saorview EPG was the main reason I choose this box to begin with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

The versions of RTE1 & RTE1 +1/RTE jr. with EPG are the new ones, carried on the 2nd Saorview multiplex (a separate UHF channel). By 'no picture', you mean 'no signal'?

The versions with no EPG are the originals which will eventually be switched off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭zg3409

RTE1 no longer in the first channel spot on the Channel list anymore. They are somewhere about 8 or 9 now. If I move it with the Menu>Channel list>"Move" function .. it moves, but the EPG does not move with it .. all its says is "Re-scan required"

There is a seperate thread for this.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057067108

Try a factory reset, but it is probably an aerial or cable problem meaning you cannot receive the new Mux with a good enough quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Grats

I have a Walker WP645TS-HD Saorview Combo STB. I have all the channels on SatFree with the exception of ITV2 and BBC4 - I did have them previously and cannot understand why they've disappeared. Can somebody throw some light on this for me please. Thanks.

ps I have ITV2+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Antenna

Another question.

This box itself has 3 buttons - power/channel up/channel down.

If the remote goes missing / or stops working due to battery fail or whatever is there any way of changing modes (ie. from Satellite back to Terrestrial for Saorview channels)
    by pressing any of the 3 STB buttons together for a few seconds or whatever?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I have had one of these for a while now, and find it a good box, and I have it connected to a HDD for recordings.

However, I've now filled the HDD and want to take (some) them off to another one or a PC. If I explore the connected HDD drive to my laptop I see a file type/set up that none of my PC/laptop recognise. How do I move recordings to a PC so that I can play them back ?

A separate question about the radio function: I don't see the likes of Newstalk or Today FM on the list - would this be right ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

galwaytt wrote: »
    How do I move recordings to a PC so that I can play them back ?

A separate question about the radio function: I don't see the likes of Newstalk or Today FM on the list - would this be right ?

Similar discussion here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057141892

The national commercial radio stations are not carried on Saorview, probably because they're not willing to pay the necessary carriage fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Newstalk is available from satellite
    12633 H 22000 5/6

Advertisement