Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Father passed away.

• 22-11-2019 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭

Hi, as the title says, my father passed away recently, he's an electric Ireland customer, as next of kin what do I do now? My mother is also dead so his house is now empty. I would like to keep power supplied to the house for heating etc, can I transfer the account to my name without entering into a contract?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 361 Verified rep Electric Ireland: Aoife

Hi CoBo55, 

Thank you for getting in touch.

We regret to read of your bereavement. 

Are you referring to a minimum term contract? This is not necessary. it only applies where a customer receives a joining bonus. 

Do you intend on paying by direct debit?

Kind regards, 
    Aoife

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I'm not too bothered either way as the bills are small averaging around 40 euro every 2 months. At present he's receiving paper bill and paid by DD from his bank account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi CoBo55,

We recommend opening a new account in your name and paying by direct debit. Telephone Electric Ireland Customer Service on 1850 372 372 with the meter point reference number (MPRN), most up-to-date meter-reading and your bank details.

Closing this account will automatically close your late father's account, and a final bill for usage up to your opening meter-reading will issue in his name.

For having direct debit, you will receive a 5% saving off the units used on every bill. We know you asked for information about an account without a contract, however if you intend to remain registered with Electric Ireland for a minimum of 12 months, there is an offer which requires not switching away for 12 months, and the customer receives €150 off their billing at the start of their contract (as well as the 5% off the units used on every bill). If you are interested in this, just complete the first option on the following page of the Electric Ireland website.

If you have further queries before proceeding, please let us know.

Kind regards,
    Una

Many thanks Una, there is a will in place and I'm meeting with his solicitor later this week, I'll decide my course of action after the miss Marple moment:D

Hi CoBo55,

You are welcome - we're happy to advise. :)

Kind regards,
    Una

• Advertisement

I signed up to yourselves a minute ago, I went for the 12 month contract getting the €150 joining bonus. Many thanks for your help.

Hi CoBo55,

Many thanks for choosing Electric Ireland, and we are happy to assist.

I see also that I began a sentence in an earlier post to you with "Closing this account will automatically close your late father's account", which should of course have started with "Opening this account". Apologies! :)

Kind regards,
    Una

Hi CoBo55,

Many thanks for choosing Electric Ireland, and we are happy to assist.

I see also that I began a sentence in an earlier post to you with "Closing this account will automatically close your late father's account", which should of course have started with "Opening this account". Apologies! :)

Kind regards,
    Una

Kinda guessed that!!

Hi, I'm back again. I'm after running into a problem setting up my online account, after filling in the required fields I get an error "username already exists try another". I think it might go back to when I had my electricity with yourselves, is there any way I can unlink my old account from the email address I'm wanting to use?

Hi CoBo55, 

Thank you for getting in touch.

We try and keep account details together where possible. Your new account may already be linked to your old Electric Ireland account number provided it is in the same name. If you log into Your Account Online, it may already be there.

If it is not there, we recommend adding the new account number to your existing account. There is a "Register Additional Account" in the Contact Us section. 

If you can't remember your password, you can reset it here.

If you wish, we can check this for you. 

Please send us a private message with the following details: 

- Your name
    - Your address
    - Your account number
    - Your email address
    - Your contact number
    - Confirmation that you are the account holder (Yes/No)

Kind regards, 
    Aoife

• Advertisement

Got sorted, many thanks.

Hi CoBo55, 

Thanks for letting us know. 

If there is anything else we can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards, 
    Aoife

Advertisement