Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kona 2019

• 09-10-2019 7:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Im opting for Bart Aernouts to win this years race. Im fascinated to see how Alistair Brownlee does at his first Kona Ironman and especially how he handles the heat on the run. Its been a long time since a debutante won in Kona unless he does something extraordinary I dont see that change this year. He'll either be top 3 or a DNF is my feeling. Frodeno will return after injury last year and then theres Lange. Special mention for Lionel Sanders who had an injury blighted season and qualified for Kona by the skin of his teeth, an amazing achievement for him to even be in Kona given his lack of races, id expect top 15 for him,

As for the women's race all eyes will be on Ryf again. Cant see Lucy Charles bike or run hard enough to pass Ryf. Like Brownlee Im interested to see how Sarah True handles the heat having collapsed through heat exhaustion twice this year already.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭S_D

Cant see Brownlee doing it, nor Bart ! For me either Jan or Lange again. Barts best chance was last year IMO.

No beating Ryf either, Rfy swim game is very strong too, so cant even see Lucy getting any advantage there ... will be dropped on the bike early doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I think David McNamee has a great shot of it if he can limit the time on the bike he's a super runner which he proved in the past. Daniela all the way for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Lange pulled up and is out of the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Great effort from Cork amateur Edwin Sutton in his debut in this event finishing 224th overall and 88th in the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Anybody see the video of Brownlee shouldering Jan Frodeno when he crossed the finish line when Frodeno was giving an interview? Never thought he was such a sore loser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rodriquez

PWEI wrote: »
    Anybody see the video of Brownlee shouldering Jan Frodeno when he crossed the finish line & Frodeno was giving an interview? Never thought he was such a sore loser.

saw that alright - think was it intentional? especially as he saw him being interviewed

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭TriFirst

rodriquez wrote: »
    saw that alright - think was it intentional? especially as he saw him being interviewed

Saw Brownlee make reference to his bumping into Frodeno and said it was an accident. i watched the clip back and he was stumbling and brushed against him as Frodeno was doing a tv interview. Difficult to tell if it was intentional but Frodeno did say that Alistair gave him a bollicking for not waiting for him after he had the puncture. I think Alistair expected them to ease down on the pace at the turnaround once his had a puncture, instead they motored on and when Ali caught up after a wheel change he let frodeno know he wasnt pleased. Not sure why Ali thought Frodeno should work with him on the bike. The irony was Alistair did very few pulls at the front of the bike leg. In fact when Tim O Donnel got miffed neither Frodeno nor Alistair were taking a turn at the front , he beckoned to them. It was at this stage that Frodeno went to the front and stayed there.

Didn't see Frodeno win this race beforehand but once Lange pulled out after succumbing to a virus apparently then his main threat was gone. Incredible race by Tim O donnell getting second in Kona at 39. And while he wouldnt be happy with 21st place Brownlee has to remember this is his first ever full distance ironman anywhere so if he can get the run right he will be a huge threat because the swim and bike looked easy for him. Ultimately Kona is a runners race and that was proved again in the womens contest with Anne Haug running like a metronome. You just felt even with a 7 minute lead that Lucy didnt have the legs to stave of Haug. Lucy did amazingly well to pass Sarah Crowley and reclaim second place. Lucy has a fair bit of work to do on her run if she wants to win at Kona. What happened to Ryf ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Ryf posted on Instagram that she got a stomach bug in the days leading up to the race and had no legs as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Handy Links for GB & IRL male and female competitors.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

I see Vinokourov won his age cat..
    And Laurent Jalabert was 2nd in his.

I'm not going to lie. I was disappointed to see these guys on the podium.
    I appreciate that they've retired from pro cycling and under current rules they're allowed race.
    Both of these as well as others won ag medals at 70.3 worlds.
    It would be great to see Wanda/ Ironman inc bring in a rule to not allow anyone who has served a ban to race in their events.

Anyway that's my rant over..

Reall enjoyed Kona though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭Bambaata

From the lack of testing evident at Ironman I expect far more than those lads are at it! I'd be thinking well more than double digits percentage wise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Bambaata wrote: »
    From the lack of testing evident at Ironman I expect far more than those lads are at it! I'd be thinking well more than double digits percentage wise

I know there have been a few ag caught over the years.
    But it would be interesting to know how many Ag are tested over the course if the season.
    I know there was doping control in Youghal, but I dont know who or how many were tested.

Advertisement