Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

surprise legal bill

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

No foal, no fee is a standard arrangement for PI plaintiffs and their legal advisers up to and including trial.

The same arrangement is common in other areas of practice too where there is litigation involving the assertion of legal rights and remedies by people who but for such an arrangement would not be in a position to litigate.

Plenty of contributors on this thread are affronted at the idea of even the PIAB process being no win no fee

This approach is baffling. You are going to spend tens of thousands being obstructive in the knowledge that you're going to lose at the end anyway and have to pay damages and two huge (due to your shenanigans) sets of costs?

Don't get me wrong, my interests align with this approach to defending PI claims because it makes a case that would otherwise be worth a few hundred now worth a few thousand all because a defendant gets a bee in their bonnet and wants to fight a losing battle.

It's great for lawyers but difficult to see how it makes any sense to you.

How can you be sure they will lose?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

This approach is baffling. You are going to spend tens of thousands being obstructive in the knowledge that you're going to lose at the end anyway and have to pay damages and two huge (due to your shenanigans) sets of costs?

Don't get me wrong, my interests align with this approach to defending PI claims because it makes a case that would otherwise be worth a few hundred now worth a few thousand all because a defendant gets a bee in their bonnet and wants to fight a losing battle.

It's great for lawyers but difficult to see how it makes any sense to you.

I never said we are going to lose our case. We wouldn’t defend it if we were wrong. So we don’t expect to be paying any costs.... our applicant is thinking this whole PIAB is going to cost him nothing anf that we will not want the publicity. However—- we want the publicity as we want to get the messag3 out that we are no fools and and if u want to sue us you better not do so thinking we will do deals to avoid bad press.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

How can you be sure they will lose?

Sometimes when you successfully defend a personal injury claim, you still lose out financially. If your costs are huge and you get awarded your costs, realistically you have little chance of recovering those costs.

Sometimes it's cheaper to pay out without a fight than it is to fight. It kills me that we are stuck with that system, but that's the way it often is.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Sometimes when you successfully defend a personal injury claim, you still lose out financially. If your costs are huge and you get awarded your costs, realistically you have little chance of recovering those costs.

Sometimes it's cheaper to pay out without a fight than it is to fight. It kills me that we are stuck with that system, but that's the way it often is.

This is where there is a massive problem in Ireland with insurance companies. It is up to them to decide when to settle and often they don't contest liability which means they make a payout where they could have won but you as the insurance holder are the ones that end up with a higher premium even if you may not have been at fault

• Advertisement
Advertisement