Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-08-2018, 10:07   #16
DavyD_83

I'm constantly considering this myself. Just about to turn 35, in a pretty well paid office job, 2 kids and a mortgage. If I'd it to do over, pretty sure if go straight into electrician apprenticeship. I've never exactly had a dream job (well, if it sad possible to earn what I do now as a push bike courier, its be doing that) , but always swore I wouldn't work in an office.
Stumbled into a temp job in 2008 and have kinda just gone with the flow since, but always meaning to do something more interesting/enjoyable.
Have been wondering lately if it is too late to start over.
Finances for a couple of years would obviously be the main concern.
It might sound stupid, but I also always worried that I might not be enough of a 'lad' for the trade world. No interest in sport or a lot of ****e that I stereotypically think passes the day chatting for a lot of guys.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-08-2018, 10:19   #17
beauf

Most consumers or builders even through the recession find it hard to get professional competent tradesman. The vast majority are not very good and unprofessional, sloppy. Lots of stories in the UK of people swapping white collar jobs for trades and doing really well.

So if you are good you will always have work.
Thanks from:
04-08-2018, 10:33   #18
steviebg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyD_83 View Post
It might sound stupid, but I also always worried that I might not be enough of a 'lad' for the trade world. No interest in sport or a lot of ****e that I stereotypically think passes the day chatting for a lot of guys.
I wouldn't worry about being a "lad" I go to work most days and barely speak to anyone, can't be listening to the ****e talk anymore... All your boss will want is you to able to do your job.
As long as your respectful to people you'll get along with most of them.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion