Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-03-2019, 11:24   #1
steddyeddy

Bloody Sunday soldier to be charged with murder

The infamous soldier F is to be charged with murder the BBC have revealed. Far too late in my opinion. Dealing with murderers by the legal system rather than promoting them and giving them medals would have prevented much of the troubles.

Quote:
A former British soldier faces murder charges over the killing of two people in Londonderry in 1972.

The Public Prosecution Service said on Thursday there was enough evidence to prosecute Soldier F for the murders of James Wray and William McKinney.

The soldier will also face charges for the attempted murders of Joseph Friel, Michael Quinn, Joe Mahon and Patrick O'Donnell.

Thirteen people were shot dead at a civil rights march on 30 January 1972.

The PPS said there was insufficient evidence to prosecute 16 other soldiers and two official IRA men.
Testimony from the Saville inquiry if anyone's in doubt over this man's character:

Quote:
Then, while Doherty lay crying in agony, a 41-year-old man called Barney McGuigan stepped out from behind a block of flats to try to get help for the dying man. McGuigan was waving a white handkerchief. According to the testimony of numerous witnesses, including an officer from another regiment stationed on the city walls, soldier F — positioned on the other side of the road — got down on one knee and shot McGuigan through the head. No one who saw the mortuary photos of the exit wound in McGuigan’s face will forget what just that one bullet of soldier F’s did
Advertisement
14-03-2019, 11:27   #3
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Alexa, Play Liveline

Mod: Radio, ZTest
I don't think I've ever fully appreciated the seriousness and the savagery of Bloody Sunday until I read Freya McClements in The Irish Times on Tuesday

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...hing-1.3821985
Quote:
“This blond soldier, he had the rifle at his hip, and he fired, he sprayed with the gun. The next thing I was on the ground.”
[...]

He lay on the ground and watched as the soldier who had shot Jim Wray continued into nearby Abbey Park.
“I could hear more shooting, and he came back out again and took his helmet off. I could see his face – he had blond hair. He shouted, ‘I’ve got another one’.

“That’s when apparently he shot Gerard McKinney and Gerald Donaghey. I heard the bullet pass through one and into the other.”

The soldier walked away. Mahon thought he was safe.

“I turned my head up to look round at him and he saw me. He got down one knee and he took aim again at me.
“I turned my head away to the fence, waiting for the shot.”
Mahon’s life was saved when a member of the Knights of Malta shouted, “first aid”. The soldier fired but missed.
14-03-2019, 11:30   #4
mod9maple

I'm confused. Why isn't soldier F being charged with the death of Barney McGuigan? :/
14-03-2019, 11:34   #5
Plumbthedepths

13 people murdered, only one out of 18 named paratroopers to be tried. British justice at its best. He'll probably die before he faces the dock.
Advertisement
14-03-2019, 11:34   #6
Uncharted

Long overdue.

An absolutely disgraceful event. Several more should now face the repercussions of their filthy actions.
The hand of justice has almost withered to the bone over time.
14-03-2019, 11:35   #7
Feisar

People trained as aggressive front line soldiers acted like aggressive front line soldiers. Hard to blame the individuals, they people that thought it a good idea are at fault.

If one has a hammer everything looks like a nail, soldiers have guns, what do you expect them to do, they are one trick ponies.
14-03-2019, 11:37   #8
NIMAN

Another whitewash.

Give them one culprit, let the rest of scot free.

Can't see how much murder went on that day and yet they can only find enough evidence to charge one.
14-03-2019, 11:38   #9
NIMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncharted View Post
Long overdue.

An absolutely disgraceful event. Several more should now face the repercussions of their filthy actions.
The hand of justice has almost withered to the bone over time.
They won't though.

Its this one and no more. A token to appease the families.
Advertisement
14-03-2019, 11:40   #10
Uncharted

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMAN View Post
They won't though.

Its this one and no more. A token to appease the families.
Its sickening to know that you are almost certainly correct on that.
14-03-2019, 11:40   #11
Plumbthedepths

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feisar
If one has a hammer everything looks like a nail, soldiers have guns, what do you expect them to do, they are one trick ponies.

Yet the same soldiers knew enough to lie to the first enquiry, why do that if they thought they were right?
14-03-2019, 11:41   #12
NIMAN

An article worth reading about that bastard Soldier F.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/03/...day-soldier-f/
14-03-2019, 11:41   #13
Call me Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feisar View Post
People trained as aggressive front line soldiers acted like aggressive front line soldiers. Hard to blame the individuals, they people that thought it a good idea are at fault.

They were trained soldiers on a civilian UK street.
I fully blame each and every one of them for every innocent life they quenched that day. They are murderers pure and simple, no better and maybe even worse than the people they were charged to eliminate and I hope that fact haunts each and every one of them, until the day they die.
14-03-2019, 11:44   #14
branie2

About time
14-03-2019, 11:46   #15
Samuel Vimes

British Justice?
The Ministry of Defence has announced that it pay all his legal bills UK Defence Minister Gavin Williamson said ""We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland"
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-47540271
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion