Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

One day when I was about 10 I was messing around with my radio scanning obscure MW and AM frequencies. I was distracted so I put the radio on a frequency with no sound so as I didn't hear static. I didn't want to turn the radio off as that would have reset the radio back to the first station I was on.

Suddenly about two minutes later, the radio jumped to life with a female voice with an English accent speaking random numbers in a very steady clear voice. It was as if she was talking to me!

I didn't know what to think! Aliens were the first things I thought of!

Needless to say I nearly crapped myself and quickly turned the radio off.

You tuned in to a Numbers Station. They are creepy. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

One day when I was about 10 I was messing around with my radio scanning obscure MW and AM frequencies. I was distracted so I put the radio on a frequency with no sound so as I didn't hear static. I didn't want to turn the radio off as that would have reset the radio back to the first station I was on.

Suddenly about two minutes later, the radio jumped to life with a female voice with an English accent speaking random numbers in a very steady clear voice. It was as if she was talking to me!

I didn't know what to think! Aliens were the first things I thought of!

Needless to say I nearly crapped myself and quickly turned the radio off.

Sounds like you stumbled across a Numbers Station, they're pretty creepy to listen to!

^Edit: Identical post, now that's creepy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

One evening recently I was working late in a factory, my office was just off the office floor and everyone else was gone home. I heard this loud banging out in the factory, it would go on for a second or two and then stop. I went out to investigate and got to the far end of the factory and then heard the banging again behind me. The electricity was off and all I had was the light on my phone, it was late evening so it was quite dark. I started to make my way back through the factory in the dark, I was pumped full of adrenaline and brandishing a hammer at this point. Then the banging starts again right on top of me, it made me jump, I couldn't figure out where it was coming from at first but then realised it was coming from the metal roof above me. There where portions of the roof with plastic sheeting and I could make out a crow. It turns out they like to take stones up to the top of the roof and let them roll down for some reason. Little ****ers scared the **** out of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

A soldier pointed his gun at me when I walked on the grass in a palace compound outside of St Petersburg in Russia. I thought I was fcuked. It was snowing and the road was covered in two inches of crap. The Russian guide and the rest of the group were taking the piss all week about it.

So, you **** yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

My little cousin used to creep me out as a kid. He'd sit listening to static on the radio, to hear 'the people'. When we told him it was just static, he'd insist that there were voices there 'behind the noise'. He also loved animals, except one of our dogs. The dog was always friendly, so we asked him why he didn't like him. 'He used to be a bad person' he replied (he was four at the time). I realise that this was just a kid talking b0ll0cks but it still gave me the shivers :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Trine

Roisy7 wrote: »
    Hmmmm my belief about the birds is this- in Belsen at least there were incredibly unhealthy, unsanitary conditions. Most inmates actually died from typhus, especially just prior to liberation. The Nazis, largely because they were losing and couldn't give a toss about dead Jews anyway, piled up the bodies around the camp. The Allies actually forced the Nazis to bury the dead- with their bare hands- after liberation. Anyway, my theory would be that the birds and other animals probably kept away from the area at the time due to the incredibly unhealthy and unclean conditions, which were rife for disease. Whether they still do, I don't know, haven't been there. But some believe that they do.

Death has a stench and all creatures recognise it. These animals rely on their senses, which we humans have let slide.

This thread is supposed to be about creepy experiences, which are never logical. Where's your sense of ghoulishness! :).

I've no problem with that explanation, during the camp's use and in months afterwards. A stench of death, heavy machinery moving bodies and earth, lots of activity, would all dissuade wildlife from entering the area. But an "energy" trapped in the stonework and in the ground that continues to repel wildlife 70 years later? Ridiculous!

Well better add to this thread and not be such a killjoy! My most unnerving experience was driving to Donegal a few years back, along a stretch of country road at night outside Omagh. Pitch black, headlights on, not a soul to be seen, only to be surprised to hear a car beeping furiously behind me with not a single light on. I moved over slightly and it raced past me, tore down the road into the distance, never once turning its lights on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Truncheon Rouge

Kinda mildly creepy, and curious in a way.

Just having a quick read now about ghosts because of this thread.
    I find it interesting that ghosts/the idea of a spirit outside the body are common to ancient cultures in all continents from what I can see so far.

So if they're common in Mayan and Aboriginal and Inuit and Gaelic and African cultures hundreds of years back ...then maybe theres reason to believe in them.

They wouldn't have been able to pass the story to each other.
    Mayans in deepest S.America, Aboriginals on an island continent. Oceans between them. Same descriptions.

Anyone?

(ibf facebook, email etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭fluffyVW

(Sorry its a bit long)

I was about 8-10 years old and was outside with a friend (I don't want to use real names cos I don't really know her anymore so I'll say Ann) and we were hanging around outside another friends house. The two friends in the house were talking to us out the window because their parents were away working.

I was heading home so I asked Ann to come with me half way down the road and then we can both head back, I'd stop outside my house and she'd stop just at the top of the road where her house is and make sure we're both ok. I'd do this with most of my friends. I live in an estate and my house is about 5 houses down so not too far.

We got half way, I was on my scooter and Ann on her bike and we were chatting for a minute when a van turned onto the road and Ann got freaked and said she was going and rode off. I was less suspicious and said, as Ann was cycling away, it's just the van of a man that lived down the road but as soon as I said the words and got a proper look at the van it was an older version of the van my neighbour had and it was really dirty and run down looking.

As it came closer I could see 3 men in it (the person in the middle was smaller than the others) and that is when I started to panic a bit and turned to go home so I had my back to the van for a moment and then when I looked around my shoulder I saw a hand coming out of the back of the van going to grab me and I, still facing up the road towards where I had come down, I hadn't turned for home in time so I scooted like hell back to my friends house.

From the van turning onto the estate road and me scooting away that was just a few seconds. The van went on down the road and I was terrified cos the road is a dead end so I knew they'd have to come back. I went to my friends told them what happened, Ann was still outside and as soon as I told her she ran inside. I hide behind my friends wall and seen the van coming back and go down the road towards the crossroads and I didn't see which way they went cos I scooted straight home and told my father. Of course I was making excuses and said someone must have been getting dropped off at one of the houses there and I was mistaken but my father went around to houses asking did anyone come home or arrive in a white van and no-one did. Before he went around houses he got me in the car and we drove around the roads for ages trying to see if we could find them but nothing. They where long gone. Funniest thing of all was we rang the guards and they didn't even come out to speak to me. But if neighbours are out arguing they're there like a shot.

Without a doubt the weirdest and scariest thing to happen to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Scariest thing that happened to me was when I was living in tallaght for college with my aunt and cousins. My cousin went out with this complete scumbag were talking drugs and assualts. He was also diagnosed with schizophrenia. They had a child and then broke up, for some reason we always use to keep the back door unlocked it was a mid-terrace house. One night I am asleep and I wake up for some reason and he is standing in my door just staring at me. I **** myself, he turns and runs back downstairs and out the front door. When I hear it close I just fall back asleep.

Around two weeks later he knocks at the front door asking to see his son. He wasn't there, so that's grand he went away. For some reason I got a real nervous feeling. So I said to my cousin come on we get out of here that's grand so we went off for dinner. Got a call from my aunt five mins later that he was after being arrested in the house with a knife. A neighbour seen him break in so called the gardai who had to climb in an upstairs window as he barricaded himself in. Last a heard he is doing a long sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

As regards to the "Uneasy feeling" people get around some places: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrasound

Of course, that's not counting places where you're OBVIOUSLY going to feel odd, like areas that thousands of people were murdered. I'll bet you could go into Jeffrey Dahmer's house and feel grand if you didn't know it was where he lived.

My own story; I was about eleven or twelve, and took to washing cars of people on my street for a bit of money. I'd work my way down one side of the road, and up the other. I got to one house, and some dude opened the door, turned out he didn't have a car, but I he did have Sega. I said nah, I got Sega all ready. He also had candy, and I was tempted to go in and get some, but wanted to make more money for video games and stuff, so off I went. I told my Mom when I got home, to see if I could go down and maybe trade video games with the guy, and it turned out no one lived there, it had been empty for about a year or so. It stuck with me mostly because you always get this image of pervy people being geriatrics, super lecherous types, and this guy was just a twenty-something, completely average dude, absolutely unremarkable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

I lived above a restaurant I managed in the UK for a few years, and had a few weird happenings.

The two ones I talk about most often are there was a black shape that used to drift up/down stairs, at any time of the day/evening. Almost everyone who worked there saw it at some point. The freakiest time for me was about a month or two after I'd moved in.

There was a small staircase up to my bedroom & the living room, and as I was walking up it, a black shape just drifted out of the living room and into my bedroom. I ran down the three flights of stairs to the restaurant screaming and freaking out (I'm normally quite a calm person!) and it took our head chef (who'd been there since the place opened) to quieten me down, and tell me that everyone who worked there saw the shape at some point, there was nothing bad about it, and just to forget about it.
    Easy done during the daytime, not so easy when locking up on your own at 2am...:D

The other weird thing was I used to keep all my cds on the mantelpiece in the living room. I was a bit of metal/nu-metalhead at the time, and every time I played Limp Bizkit, cds would fly off the mantelpiece. It appears the shape had some sort of decent taste....!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Just having a quick read now about ghosts because of this thread.
    I find it interesting that ghosts/the idea of a spirit outside the body are common to ancient cultures in all continents from what I can see so far.
    All humans came out of Africa so it's not inconceivable that we'd all have the same stories, also, they are all humans. Seeing things that aren't there is part of the human condition. It's common in all humans and doesn't always feature ghosts.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lesserspottedchloe

Some of these stories are pretty scary. Read at your own risk!

Oh you got me Good! I read the whole first paragraph with my face about 1ft away from the screen-didn't suspect a thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Bruce7 wrote: »
    When I was about 8 or 10 a group of us were forced to play roles in the mass at Christmas. The three wise men, Mary and Jesus and all that. There was something weird about the parish priest and it was strongly suspected that he was 'one of them', shall we say, so we all made sure never to be on our own with him (I can't remember his name but we called him Father Mickey Dodger).

We had to go to the church after school to rehearse for a week or so before Christmas day. He was always trying to get kids to come back to his house under various pretexts, but we'd always find a way of avoiding it. Then Christmas Eve came when the costumes were being handed out. He gave most of the costumes out at the last rehearsal, but said that the last few were back in his house, and myself and two other boys, Michael and Dara would have to go back with him to get them. There was no way to refuse, so we went back, whispering to each other to stay near the door and not to allow him to separate us.

So we went into his living room, and it was dark and grotty. The furniture was all ancient and in terrible condition, and there were dirty ashtrays and bottles of drink everywhere. He had a big table with a candle in a holder on it and there were piles of old books on the table. We crept over to the table to look at the book that was lying open but it was in some script we couldn't read. There was something very weird about it. It didn't look like a Bible or anything like that.

The priest came into the room with the costumes, and must have seen that we were a bit freaked out, so he was as friendly and reassuring as he could be. He started giving us our costumes and we began to relax a bit, but then the phone rang, one of those big old black bakelite things. He answered normally, and listened for a minute; then his eyes kind of glazed over and he said "Yes. At once" in this really weird voice. He walked out of the room as if he hadn't seen us and went upstairs. He had left the phone off the hook and Dara went over and picked it up.

"Who's there?" he said, trying to sound brave. Then his face went white and he froze completely. Michael had had enough. He grabbed Dara and me and we ran out of there. As we passed through the hall, the priest was coming down the stairs carrying a roll of black bags and a rope. We ran like Hell and didn't look back until we were back on our road.

We asked Dara what he had heard on the other end of the phone, but he was completely white; he just shook his head, and wouldn't say a single word. We went home, and after that we simply never saw him again. He wasn't there at mass the next day, and when we went to call for him after Christmas, his house was completely empty. When school started again, his desk was left empty for a few days and then just taken away. Another family moved into his house a few months later and that was that.

What about the priest ? what happened with him after ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

When I was young, sometimes I used to share a bed with my brother. One time when I was about 9 I was on hols with my granny and I was in her bed. I was woken in the early hours by a hand carressing my hip...I instantly woke up, thought it was my brother, grabbed her hand and scrunched it, nearly breaking her fingers and slammed her hand back down on the bed. Just then it dawned on me that it was my poor old loving granny, not my brother, turning into a weirdo:o. I lay stiff and silent with embarrassment for the rest of the night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

It's amazing the amount of people who came just within a hairs breath of being nabbed by a pedophile, rapist, serial killer. I'd have never thought so many kids out there had these narrow escapes. These are just the near misses. There must be thousands being abducted week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

The Tapestry Room in Loftus Hall, I never ever ever want to set foot inside there again and I would strongly advise anyone against it, the room is almost alive with malevolance, took me months to get back to sleep again. :eek:

I cant find any photos on the net of the tapestry room but id fascinated to visit the house. I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

My grand father used to man lighthouses all over the country during the 50's. One night while asleep, he woke up to see an old woman sitting in the armchair straight across from his bed.

She calmly told him to go back to sleep. He woke up then in the morning and never saw her thereafter. Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Trine wrote: »
    Utter hokum.

No birds fly over Belsen? Morally dignified sparrows, eh? Give me a break.

Of course there's an eerie feeling in historical concentration camps, everybody around you visiting is sombre, saddened, reflective. Like at a funeral. In every case in this thread of "I felt a definite chill, drop in temperature, strange feelings", the person either has prior knowledge that the building or area has a history of death and sorrow, or finds out afterwards and recalls "a feeling".

I feel a chilly draught in my bedroom all the time, doesn't mean anybody has been murdered here...yet.

I worked with a German girl once, she said the same thing...that there's a eerie silence and no birds sing in the trees around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Was sitting in the pub one day with one of my mates, two lads came into the pub and about 10 minutes after they arrived come upto me and say "follow us to the toilets". I sorta knew them from around the town (supposed to be in the IRA) so I done what they said. One of them pushed me into the cubicle and pulled something out of his jacket, I was to scared to look down but thought it was a knife as I just heard a flick. He asked me for my wallet and when I give it to him he looked at my license and give me it back and said "sorry mate wrong person". I was ready to faint at this stage, could hardly walk out of the toilets. They bought me a pint after laughing at how scared I was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ChicaneAuto

When I was about two months old a pair of public health nurses came to check on me. My mam was home alone with me. The nurses wanted my mam to get some medicine or something I was on from the kitchen, were keen for me to stay with them but my mam got a weird feeling and brought me with her. When she returned the front door was wide open and they were gone. This was in a busy estate in the mid morning. God knows what would have become of me. And how long were they watching the estate to ascertain there was a baby in my house and only one parent at home at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

Two stories, more odd than creepy and they both happened on ther same day.
    As a young fella hitching to the first trip to Tipp/Feile. The first lift i got was from an auld farmer in a battered carina. the first thing i noticed was tghe usual overwhelming farmer smell of Brylcream, Aftershave and silage. But there was anothe smell coming in waves from....somewhere. I was chatting away when i noticed a plastic terrapin glued to the dash. Thats nice i said, making conversation as i reached out to poke it. It make a squishy squelching sound and dark smelly liquid seeped out of it.
    "Ah that was me young fellas and it died last week so i varnished it and stuck it there":confused::confused::eek::eek:. It was in a hot car in a hot irish summer for a week, dead.

Later on I got my final lift into Thurles in a Hi Ace. The driver said he could bring me as far as the dog track which was near the campsite.
    "Oh, Why are you going to the dog track?" I asked
    "Im delivering the grub in the back for the dogs"
    I looked back to see tripe, guts and general animal bit slithering about on the floor of the van.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Ann22 wrote: »

I worked with a German girl once, she said the same thing...that there's a eerie silence and no birds sing in the trees around.

I've been to Auschwitz and there's as many birds singing there as anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

ONE TIME I WAS HITCHING FOR A LIFT HOME AT NIGHT AND A CAR PULLED IN ABOUT 10 FEET AHEAD THEN I WALKED UP AND OPENED THE PASSENGER DOOR AND THERE WAS A SKELETON DRIVING THE CAR

:D Hahaha!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭ mightyreds

Two stories, more odd than creepy and they both happened on ther same day.
    As a young fella hitching to the first trip to Tipp/Feile. The first lift i got was from an auld farmer in a battered carina. the first thing i noticed was tghe usual overwhelming farmer smell of Brylcream, Aftershave and silage. But there was anothe smell coming in waves from....somewhere. I was chatting away when i noticed a plastic terrapin glued to the dash. Thats nice i said, making conversation as i reached out to poke it. It make a squishy squelching sound and dark smelly liquid seeped out of it.
    "Ah that was me young fellas and it died last week so i varnished it and stuck it there":confused::confused::eek::eek:. It was in a hot car in a hot irish summer for a week, dead.

now that is creepy!!

Here is my unnerving story although not as good as the rest
    My girlfriend and I were backpacking and stopped in Thailand, first night there we arrived late got a cheap taxi to the main town the taxi driver stopped at this travel agent to get us to buy something.
    So as we'd nowhere to stay we got a nights hotel off them which was this dirty rotten place outside town in the middle of a load of sweat shops we went for drinks into town but on the way back no taxi driver knew the place we were staying so we decided to wing it and walk back after about a half mile back, in the middle of a dark street i started to realise a pick up truck had passed us about 4 four times.
    Then the 5th time it did a u turn about 20 metres up the road and 5 lads jump out and started walking towards us so i grabbed my girlfiend and we ran in the nearest door to us into someones house they came out to us but just stood looking at us as i peered out waiting on the guys to leave.
    After about 2 minutes i saw a tuk tuk/taxi coming up the road and ran out in front of it as it arrived and we jumped in just told him to drive but for about a half hour after the pick up followed us waiting on us to stop it eventually pulled off and we drove around for about 10 minutes more before we happened on our hotel luckily they didnt follow us back cause they would of just came in the hotel and killed/robbed us there it was that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Roisy7 wrote: »
    Massively agree with that. Kilmainham Jail I found really really oppressive. Don't think I could cope with a concentration camp.

In Tomi Reichental's book he says he remembers no birds flew near Belsen the whole time he was there, and even when he went back a few years ago they still aren't there, although the camp was razed by the Allies. I assume there's some kind of scientific explanation for that, but it's incredible all the same.

There's a theory that paranormal activity is the result of buildings, especially stone, retaining energy from past events and replaying them. Repeated activity, such as dancing, would imprint heavily on the building, whereas violent events such as murder release so much energy that they too would be replayed.

Could all be hokum of course but it's very interesting!

Shíte, I just bought a 200 year old stone Georgian house! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Does anyone remember the reports of weird sky sounds heard accross the northern hemisphere in 2011? Theres a scientific explanation btw but they sound like something from a horror film. 20seconds into the Budapest vid kind of spooked me a good deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

There was this one time I was staying somewhere in Laos, maybe it was Luang Prabang, I was travelling around with an American chap for a bit. We booked into two separate rooms in a hotel sort of place for the night beside the bus station. Anyway, after a night out checking out the town, we both went back to our respective rooms to have a smoke and a snooze. I was having great craic playing with a line of ants on the wall and documenting important societal analogies to their reactions until I passed out. I was in no more than me undieknickers as it was meltingly humid.

The next morning at breakfast, my American friend told me he was smoking out his doorway when he saw a middle ages local looking chap open my door. He told me he said ''Err, that's not your room''. The man looked alarmed and closed the door then took off, he told me. I didn't really believe him, as I am a terribly light sleeper and was certain I locked my door. Also I had got it into my head that my friend was being a big macho ex Marine trying to play the protective father type, so I brushed it off.

A few weeks later we parted our separate ways when I went to Koh Tao in Thailand to go diving. I was having a bit of lunch one day when I overheard an English couple at the table next to me talking to another couple about an experience they had at a hotel near the bus station in the same town I was in. They said they locked their things in their room and came back to find their stuff had been taken. The door still locked, they were convinced it was the owner but had no evidence. Well Jaysus, a chill went down my spine that moment.

I really should tell my friend about that and apologise for doubting him. And thank him for being there at the right time...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Bruce7 wrote: »
    We asked Dara what he had heard on the other end of the phone, but he was completely white; he just shook his head, and wouldn't say a single word. We went home, and after that we simply never saw him again. He wasn't there at mass the next day, and when we went to call for him after Christmas, his house was completely empty. When school started again, his desk was left empty for a few days and then just taken away. Another family moved into his house a few months later and that was that.
    MaxSteele wrote: »
    What about the priest ? what happened with him after ?

Great story. It should be easy enough now to find out what happened to Dara and his family though asking the older people in the area about why the family left and maybe even through the school as they usually have to send some sort of report on to a new school. You could say you were organising a reunion and wanted to contact him. If you were very brave you could front up to the local priest and ask him if there were any records and maybe do a bit of gossiping about the former priestly incumbent. :D And then there is Facebook. I won't be able to sleep until I know what happened. :(

It's amazing the amount of people who came just within a hairs breath of being nabbed by a pedophile, rapist, serial killer. I'd have never thought so many kids out there had these narrow escapes. These are just the near misses. There must be thousands being abducted week.

When you consider that 1 in 4 have been abused, then it is no wonder that there are so many stories of near abductions and misses because to reach that high a number there must have been just as many, if not more, failed attempts.

A lot of people I know have had genuine experience of narrowly escaping a strange or uneasy situation. They are the lucky ones who can speak about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Shíte, I just bought a 200 year old stone Georgian house! :eek:
    Show off.

Advertisement