Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edenmore Cresent Area - Safe?

• 13-09-2018 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm looking at house to purchase in this area. From a quick Google it seems there is a good bit of trouble in the news. Just wanted to get a second opinion!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Can't speak directly to Edenmore although the entire surrounding area has calmed down hugely. If you come across the DART tracks and down a bit to Kilbarrack you'd be surrounded by an arguably better area (Foxfield) although where you'd be living would have the same sort of reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Can't speak directly to Edenmore although the entire surrounding area has calmed down hugely. If you come across the DART tracks and down a bit to Kilbarrack you'd be surrounded by an arguably better area (Foxfield) although where you'd be living would have the same sort of reputation.

Thank you, why would it be a better area arguably? Just curious.

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Thank you, why would it be a better area arguably? Just curious.

Killbarack backs on to Foxfield and the Howth Road; Edenmore has the DART line between it and the Watermill Road area. Both areas are grand despite the reputation. I say that from experiance of Kilbarrack and second hand information on Edenmore.

Both Foxfield and the Watermill road areas are very nice areas of Raheny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭raheny red

Hi All,

I'm looking at house to purchase in this area. From a quick Google it seems there is a good bit of trouble in the news. Just wanted to get a second opinion!

Thanks!

If it's the part of the Crescent I'm thinking of then I'd avoid. IIRC 4 houses along there have gone for up sale in the last month (it's a very small stretch of houses, about 12?). I've been living in Edenmore over 25 years, it has settled down alot compared to how things use to be. I'd buy in 95% of Edenmore in a heart beat but that stretch along by the church I'd have my concerns.

raheny red wrote: »
    If it's the part of the Crescent I'm thinking of then I'd avoid. IIRC 4 houses along there have gone for up sale in the last month (it's a very small stretch of houses, about 12?). I've been living in Edenmore over 25 years, it has settled down alot compared to how things use to be. I'd buy in 95% of Edenmore in a heart beat but that stretch along by the church I'd have my concerns.

I take it none of the four were the trouble makers? Always the way!

• Advertisement

Could you expand a bit more if possible? Do you think the residents were selling up because of trouble? Interested in this property to any advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Edenmore is still edenmore to me. I used to spend a lot of my childhood in foxfield and edenmore was the proverbial 'other side of the tracks'. The bad side. So I wouldn't buy there persoanlly but I woudlnt buy in Ballymun, Neilstown, Darndale etc either.

Im sure its grand now, that was a lifetime ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Edenmore is still edenmore to me. I used to spend a lot of my childhood in foxfield and edenmore was the proverbial 'other side of the tracks'. The bad side. So I wouldn't buy there persoanlly but I woudlnt buy in Ballymun, Neilstown, Darndale etc either.

Im sure its grand now, that was a lifetime ago.

Me too, I grew up nearby and Edenmore will always be a no go.

OP you might consider one of the two houses on Briarfield road in Kilbarrack. Close to the DART and on the 'right side' of the tracks. It has a similar rep but is actually very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Edenmore is grand. Bought there last year not one bit of trouble

The shops are a hang out area though for teenagers. I live nearer the springdale road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Personally I wouldn’t buy at the top end of Edenmore crescent, bottom end, near the hospital is fine (certain exceptions that locals will know of, but it’s not anything that bothers neighbours.) Certain other roads are quiet too.

Personally I wouldn’t buy at the top end of Edenmore crescent, bottom end, near the hospital is fine (certain exceptions that locals will know of, but it’s not anything that bothers neighbours.) Certain other roads are quiet too.

Absolutely spot on.

Could you expand a bit more if possible? Do you think the residents were selling up because of trouble? Interested in this property to any advice appreciated.

There were shots fired at a house along there recently. Also, there's a family across the road who have caused trouble for decades. They are quite elderly now but they'd be very well know in the surrounding areas.

There's planning permission for another floor of apartments to be built onto the current ones above the Concorde pub. It's gonna be an absolute eyesore even moreso now!

The further you move away from the shops, the better. I'm currently in the process of moving out of Edenmore but if I could afford to buy in Edenmore I would. Sandwiched between Raheny and Coolock villages. 10/15 mins walk to 2 Dart stations. Lots of young couples with kids currently moving into the area is a great sign of how Edenmore has greatly changed.

There were shots fired at a house along there recently. Also, there's a family across the road who have caused trouble for decades. They are quite elderly now but they'd be very well know in the surrounding areas.

There's planning permission for another floor of apartments to be built onto the current ones above the Concorde pub. It's gonna be an absolute eyesore even moreso now!

The further you move away from the shops, the better. I'm currently in the process of moving out of Edenmore but if I could afford to buy in Edenmore I would. Sandwiched between Raheny and Coolock villages. 10/15 mins walk to 2 Dart stations. Lots of young couples with kids currently moving into the area is a great sign of how Edenmore has greatly changed.

Thanks for the detail. So would you say it's a safe place to live with kids and family? The first bit of your response doesn't bode well :/ but then you said there is young families moving in? For the record, the house is 165 Edenmore Crescent...thanks for this by the way!

Thanks for the detail. So would you say it's a safe place to live with kids and family? The first bit of your response doesn't bode well :/ but then you said there is young families moving in? For the record, the house is 165 Edenmore Crescent...thanks for this by the way!

Yeah sorry, the first bit and last part seem contradictory all right. But as I said in my first reply, I'd buy in the other 95% of Edenmore in a heartbeat. That's a nice house, built about 25 years ago? The majority of Edenmore is older and smaller housing

If you're keen on Edenmore then keep an eye on this cul dac sac: 5 min walk to Raheny Dart/Village https://www.sherryfitz.ie/residential/for-sale/85914

Yeah sorry, the first bit and last part seem contradictory all right. But as I said in my first reply, I'd buy in the other 95% of Edenmore in a heartbeat. That's a nice house, built about 25 years ago? The majority of Edenmore is older and smaller housing

If you're keen on Edenmore then keep an eye on this cul dac sac: 5 min walk to Raheny Dart/Village https://www.sherryfitz.ie/residential/for-sale/85914

No I appreciate all the detail! Would you say the 165 falls into the "bad" side or 5 percent. I suppose my question is if there is trouble in the area and it's not a large area, would that not make it unsafe? Like walking at night passed the bad area to get home. Cheers for all this info!

No I appreciate all the detail! Would you say the 165 falls into the "bad" side or 5 percent. I suppose my question is if there is trouble in the area and it's not a large area, would that not make it unsafe? Like walking at night passed the bad area to get home. Cheers for all this info!

If it's anything like Briarfield it's perfectly safe in that regard. It's the odd idiot with a dog barking until all hours, parties and whatnot. Generally if you keep your head down you'll find people who do likewise and find you've great neigbours. You're doing exactly the right thing in looking for info that you don't end up moving into proximity of the local bollox.

I'd walk past that area at any hour. I just wouldn't want the people along that stretch as my neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

OP looking at property price register that house was bought in March 2015 , they haven't stayed that long .

Juwwi wrote: »
    OP looking at property price register that house was bought in March 2015 , they haven't stayed that long .

Hm I wonder could it be a legitimate reason or bad neighbours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

No idea , but given some of the reply's here and then seeing they are selling up after 3 years its a bit suspicious , could be a genuine reason for selling but l'd be weary .

Do you have to buy around that area if you moved out abit further towards Swords you'd get better value imo .

The attraction of the DART line is difficult to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,861 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

A friend of mine lives in the newer houses on that road. He's close to the shops. He's living there since they were built, I'm guessing 20 odd years ago now. He owns a successful business about two miles away. I've never come out right & asked his opinion of the area but he could easily have moved to "better" parts of Raheny years ago if he wanted. His two adult kids managed to grow up without joining gangs or getting addicted to drugs.

I'm thinking that it's not as bad an area as some might think.

Edenmore is big enough as in i live there and wouldnt know a lot about the Crescent. All i know is that part of the shops is where teenagers hang out

Where i live in Edenmore i havent had one bit of trouble , Not even seen a tennager littering near my house. Its so handy with the Dart line.

I would literally recommend every part of Edenmore to people except that stretch because of the numbers of teenagers that are sometimes there when i pop into Centra . My advice would be to wait a few weeks as Edenmore is an old area and houses are always going up for sale due to people passing away

Edenmore is big enough as in i live there and wouldnt know a lot about the Crescent. All i know is that part of the shops is where teenagers hang out

Where i live in Edenmore i havent had one bit of trouble , Not even seen a tennager littering near my house. Its so handy with the Dart line.

I would literally recommend every part of Edenmore to people except that stretch because of the numbers of teenagers that are sometimes there when i pop into Centra . My advice would be to wait a few weeks as Edenmore is an old area and houses are always going up for sale due to people passing away

Might be an idea for OP to sit outside the shopping centre or outside the house they are looking at for a few hours between 8 & 11pm. It would give them an idea of what to expect.

Yeah that would be a good idea .

I have lived in bad areas of Dublin and Edenmores bark is well worse than its bite. It was always going to change over time due to its location and the fact it was surrounded by Raheny and other nice areas.

Its just shops are notorious for groups of teenagers to hang out and we all know what happens when they get bored.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Might be an idea for OP to sit outside the shopping centre or outside the house they are looking at for a few hours between 8 & 11pm. It would give them an idea of what to expect.

Have you experienced anything bad in the area yourself?

Pheonix10 wrote:
    Have you experienced anything bad in the area yourself?

I'm living in Raheny 50 years but the closest I got to Edenmore was living in woodbine for around 3 years.

Edenmore got a bad name 40 or 50 years ago when the estate was young. There was a gang called the Dragons and they would have running battles with another gang called STAB from St Anne's housing estate. Eventually everyone grew up & both estates quietened down.

There was a shooting outside the pub a decade ago. For what it's worth there was also a shooting in clontarf around the same time.

Some of the original houses are 2nd generation occupied. As said before the shops might have young people hanging around. That's all I can tell you.

If you are looking at one of the newer houses on that road near the shops I can tell you that my friend lives in one. I've been in his house and done plumbing work for him and from what I've seen the build quality seems to be OK. I never felt worried that my van would be damaged or broken into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 doylerkelly

HI Op
    My dad grew up in Edenmore Cresent back in the early 60's when it was a newly built development. Throughout the years Edenmore had a bad reputation , but it's now manly older people like my grandparents in their 80's that still live in the area so it's quietened down and has a lot to offer. It has it's own parish church, an extensive municipal park which offers a range of sporting facilities, including a golf course.
    it has become a more mature and settled area and has become an area in it's own right over the years. Check it out on Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edenmore

• Advertisement

Op I just spoke to my friend. The house for sale on that block has neighbours with Hi Ace vans and call you Boss. I don't know if this is good or bad but thought you'd like to know

Advertisement