Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great video on the Gender pay gap

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

NIMAN wrote: »
    I understand that, and indeed it's a gap I would argue for in my own line of work. We have had occasions where someone doing the same job as me has enquired as to why people in 10 years longer are earning more to do exactly the same job.

I too would have said that I have 10 yrs more experience, 10 yr worth of annual assessments or appraisals etc and as such should be on more.

But technically, there is a gap for 2 people doing the same job.

There is a gap but it's not because of gender, it'd because of their experience levels. It's not illegal to discriminate on grounds of experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

But technically, there is a gap for 2 people doing the same job.
    And Sharon earns significantly more than the 'new' female anchors who do the same job.
    None of the anchors' wages are determined by gender; if it were, RTE - like every other company - would hire more women because 'women get paid less than men for the same work'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Defunkd wrote: »
    And Sharon earns significantly more than the 'new' female anchors who do the same job.
    None of the anchors' wages are determined by gender; if it were, RTE - like every other company - would hire more women because 'women get paid less than men for the same work'.

Well, this is the thing. They're not doing the same job. And when Bryan was there, Sharon didn't do the same job as him - he did all the interviews.

Similar sort of outrage in this nonsensical article from the Guardian last month: "A man I manage earns £20k more than me and I can't discuss it publicly." The anonymous woman author claims she's being gender discriminated against and victimised because she's on a lower salary than a man she manages. But she gives the explanations why her salary's lower in her own article, while entirely missing the points:

My desk neighbour is undeniably excellent at his job. He’s an ambitious and diligent employee with admittedly a few more years of experience than me. He’s a leader in his field, but when hired, I was deemed senior enough – amply mature, responsible and talented – to commission him, edit him and perform all the other far more mundane tasks of management.

In my work in the IT profession, I was very often on much higher pay than my line managers (male & female!), because there were far fewer people available with my skills than "mundane" management skills. And that's why this writer is on a lower salary too. It's not because of her gender, it's because she doesn't have the combination of rarer skills and greater experience that her colleague has, and she's doing a completely different job.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,912 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How common would it be that am employee would be on more money than their manager?

Find that strange.

How common would it be that am employee would be on more money than their manager?

Find that strange.

As I said, in my personal experience in IT, not at all unusual. My managers would have been well aware of my pay and didn't bat any eyelid about it.

The point is, we were doing different jobs. Likewise, the Guardian author's presumption that she's entitled to at least the same salary as the persons she manages is fallacious. It's simply supply & demand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Find that strange.

Common enough, I've worked in a good few American tech companies and at some point the technical track and managerial track diverge. The rockstar engineers get well looked after and can easily be earning more than their manager

Find that strange.

I've come across a fair few developers that become managers in attempts to move up the chain just to find they hate it and actually get paid more by being a developer/lead/architect

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Find that strange.

Not very common at all even in IT, in my experience - wherever I worked, engineering roles came with an actual glass ceiling; a very very very senior tech lead could get up to 65/70k, but that was it. If they wanted more, the only way was to move into more administrative roles.

However, keep in mind that even if I worked for a couple of big American tech companies, their offices here were managed more or less like financial / customer care / services companies, having engineering departments was an afterthought; I can see how in the likes of Google, Amzon or Facebook the concept of the "superstar engineers" earning more than their managers is a real thing; Makes sense, a bit like Ronaldo earning more than his team's manager...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭iptba

You tend to see the same faces again and again when house-hunting. During our search, it was a mixture of singles, couples or those with young families. But last weekend it was all women, mainly viewing alone. I said as much to my friend. "Yeah, they're all like me: single women in their 30s. Rarely couples and never single blokes."

"Where are the single men?" I asked.

"At the higher end of the payscale," she deadpanned, before sighing loudly.

It was at that moment I offered to take her out again. Like I said, house-hunting can be fun, but definitely not if you're a single woman in your 30s.
    Figures from the OECD show that in Ireland the Gender Pay Gap for women with no children is -17%
    https://www.morganmckinley.ie/article/ireland-and-gender-pay-gap
    i.e. women with no children earn 17% more.

If men have more money, it could be to do would other issues e.g. saving more.

iptba wrote: »
    i.e. women with no children earn 17% more.

If men have more money, it could be to do would other issues e.g. saving more.

"At the higher end of the payscale" she deadpanned, before sighing loudly.

That is a made-up quote if ever i heard one. Like those people who tweet something their 5 year old child/relative supposedly said or a FB story that ends with everyone on the bus cheering after the poster stood up against an a$$hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

gizmo555 wrote: »
    As I said, in my personal experience in IT, not at all unusual. My managers would have been well aware of my pay and didn't bat any eyelid about it.

The point is, we were doing different jobs. Likewise, the Guardian author's presumption that she's entitled to at least the same salary as the persons she manages is fallacious. It's simply supply & demand.

It would be like a soccer manager crying that he's not paid the same as his star players.

The amount of trouble and strife being caused in business at the moment by grief merchants like this. You'd wonder is it willful ignorance on display or actual stupidity.

If the single men are earning more (despite stats showing the opposite) then surely they'd be over-represented among house-hunters?

If the single men are earning more (despite stats showing the opposite) then surely they'd be over-represented among house-hunters?

I think the author was implying that they are buying more expensive houses

I think the author was implying that they are buying more expensive houses

Ah yes, of course. More expensive houses than the couples and families are. :rolleyes: Twaddle altogether.

"Google moves to address wage equity, and finds it's underpaying many men"-
    New York Times today.

"SAN FRANCISCO — When Google conducted a study recently to determine whether the company was underpaying women and members of minority groups, it found that more men than women were receiving less money for doing similar work.

The surprising conclusion to the latest version of the annual study contrasted sharply with the experience of women working in Silicon Valley and in many other industries.

In response to the finding, Google gave $9.7 million in additional compensation to 10,677 employees for this year. Men account for about 69 percent of the company’s work force, but they received a disproportionately higher percentage of the money. The exact number of men who got raises is unclear."

I get a vibe of begrudging reporting here; men have been found to be underpaid but they're trying to make the article about women being underpaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

I really enjoyed this video

Bout the gender pay gap in Australia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pdnkbs4l_g

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Great video. Really says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

"Google moves to address wage equity, and finds it's underpaying many men"-
    New York Times today.

"SAN FRANCISCO — When Google conducted a study recently to determine whether the company was underpaying women and members of minority groups, it found that more men than women were receiving less money for doing similar work.

The surprising conclusion to the latest version of the annual study contrasted sharply with the experience of women working in Silicon Valley and in many other industries.

In response to the finding, Google gave $9.7 million in additional compensation to 10,677 employees for this year. Men account for about 69 percent of the company’s work force, but they received a disproportionately higher percentage of the money. The exact number of men who got raises is unclear."

I get a vibe of begrudging reporting here; men have been found to be underpaid but they're trying to make the article about women being underpaid.

The dishonesty and twisting of words in this one is beyond belief - basically the article is saying "Google found out more men than women were getting underpaid for their job; They moved to address the issue with raises; There were more men than women receiving raises as a consequence of the findings". It all flows perfectly logically, but they managed put the "disproportionately" in there....

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    The dishonesty and twisting of words in this one is beyond belief - basically the article is saying "Google found out more men than women were getting underpaid for their job; They moved to address the issue with raises; There were more men than women receiving raises as a consequence of the findings". It all flows perfectly logically, but they managed put the "disproportionately" in there....
    And the oversight was only discovered because they were checking if women/ethnic minorities were being paid less...

I liked the silences when Team Gender Equality had no answers...5 professionally useless people and not an answer between them.

• Advertisement

I liked the silences when Team Gender Equality had no answers...5 professionally useless people and not an answer between them.

Or, when pressed, making ridiculous answers like just because a man is working longer hours doesn't mean he's more productive than a woman who works shorter hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,912 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Only got 1 minute in and had to stop, jez I hate the Australian accent.

Edit: put it back on again, and my god those 5 are thick. (is that sexist)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

that senater is great.
    i wish we had a few people like that here.
    faced with pure rubish and stayed calm and on point. totally distroyed their argument

No much gender balance in those representing the "Workplace Gender Equality Agency (i.e. 5 women 0 meant). Something I've noticed before in this sector.

No much gender balance in those representing the "Workplace Gender Equality Agency (i.e. 5 women 0 meant). Something I've noticed before in this sector.
    For a person who follows gender-related topics, i thought you would know better than to assume their gender for them. Maybe they identify as male or as an ethnic minority?

gizmo555 wrote: »
    Or, when pressed, making ridiculous answers like just because a man is working longer hours doesn't mean he's more productive than a woman who works shorter hours.

Something tells me that no-one on that panel puts in a 45 hr week in the office.

Just googled a bit...Govt. Agency, Govt. funded, so what, a 37.5 hr week?
    The blonde woman in the video is the Director of the Agency. She came across poorly imo.

I don't fully accept the argument that one person's 8 hours is equivalent to another person's 12 hours or whatever it was they said (I can't bring myself to watch it again to see exactly what was said)

In some jobs, there are deadlines/"crises" and "mini crises"/similar and if someone is willing to do extra hours at particular times, this can be very useful. I think the person, male or female, who is willing to stay on in times of need should be rewarded.

I think they think that the person who is willing to do the longer hours is more likely to be the male which could well be true in terms of overall numbers, though certainly not necessarily for every individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

The video which played right after was equally damning. The aggressive blonde jumping in toward the end and correcting her male colleague who tried to damage control her outburst. :eek:

Stay Free

The video which played right after was equally damning. The aggressive blonde jumping in toward the end and correcting her male colleague who tried to damage control her outburst. :eek:

The following survey results of theirs:
    "One in 5 believes there are circumstances in which woman bears some responsibility for the violent behaviour" were seen as bad, and these attitudes needs to be changed. My impression is that if the genders are reversed quite often people might seek justifications for a woman being abusive towards her male partner.

My guess is in situations like this life can be more complicated than simple black and white answers. A woman could, for example, be engaging in domestic abuse of various kinds that wasn't physical and engaging in coercive control and a man might snap and be physically violent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

My guess is in situations like this life can be more complicated than simple black and white answers. A woman could, for example, be engaging in domestic abuse of various kinds that wasn't physical and engaging in coercive control and a man might snap and be physically violent.

The woman who set up shelters for women in the UK was on the radio here a few years ago and said a lot of the women came from abusive and or violent relationships. i.e they were as bad.

Advertisement